Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Off Line Traffic News - Traffic POIs for TomTom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Off Line Traffic News - Traffic POIs for TomTom
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccsnet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccsnet wrote:
oka97 wrote:
If someone could just have this churning out data to a public web location, that'd be fantastic!

Mr. Sutcliffe Smile you need to speak to PocketGPSWorld and ask them to host a file you can update via FTP or something, every 30 mins or less.

This would be better than an application running on every PC, and it would add value to the PocketGPSWorld site up there with the speed camera db, surely that would be in their interest.
Richard / Admin - I'm involved with http://www.infomatics.info which is basically the same and for a number of reasons the project has stalled.

Any way... having spoken to one of the developers we would consider providing the server side code for this site and may be more if we can come to some agreement - like... it will never be a charge for service etc... ( server side at least ).

Also we may or may not need some one to help make this compatible or at least an SDK of some kind for some off its PC brothers.... ( mp3car.com will explain )

Please let me know if your intrested... I would love to see this working some where and share with you guys but first and formost our project was set up to support PC users and I want to make sure they are included.

Terran
BTW when I say this site... I mean for hosting AT Pocket GPS.

Terran
eversonl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, This tool shows a lot of promise!
I have one problem, the ov2 file is 0kb. I get no errors and the message to say updates retreived displays.

File in both locations (SD and secondary) is 0Kb
LjL
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This new program gives me the opportunity to try again suggesting something I was thinking about some time ago.

What if instead of (or in addition to) using BBC's data, or any centralized organization's data, we made data ourselves?

Imagine this: while I'm driving, my PDA collects information about the speed I'm keeping on all the various stretches of road; it processes what it's got in order to eliminate spurious data as much as possible; and then it sends everything to a central server, which then collates, averages and interpolates all the data received.

Of course, this would be most useful with a GPRS connection, but I think even using it offline would give decent results, at least for short journeys. Additionally, data sent by offline users can still be used to determine information such as which roads are busiest at a given hour every day - and I'm sure even these more generic, statistical data could be very useful.

But the main advantage compared with traditional traffic info systems would be inside cities: at least here, TMC tells me nothing at all about what's going on outside highways and very main roads.

One problem could be that people might not like to tell an Internet server where they go and what speeds they keep. I hope that this could be solved with some clever anynomyzation system, even though, personally, I wouldn't be too worried about sending data to a free site made available by a community.

Think about it. Even though you may have doubts about the effectiveness of such a system, since it would be vulnerable to the driving habits of single individuals, I'm quite convinced that, if the system is easy to use and enough people start using it, it could well stand up against TMC and similar centralized systems, and hopefully be better than them in some respects.
ccsnet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The infomatics code allows you to select which feeds to make up your out put file so you could simply make that another feed.

Terran
LjL
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccsnet wrote:
The infomatics code allows you to select which feeds to make up your out put file so you could simply make that another feed.

Terran

Not sure you're talking to me, but... yes, but that would be only one third of what is neede.
The other two thirds are collecting and sending the data *from* (not *to*) the PDA, and processing the received data on the central server.

Unfortunately I'm not up to the task of doing that. Perhaps I could manage to write the server part, or at least a proof-of-concept, naive implementation of it, but I have no clue concerning PocketPC programming (or Windows programming, for that matter).

So I'm basically just hoping that someone, possibly Richard Sutcliffe, likes the idea and starts hacking :-) Of course, I would then be more than glad to help if there's anything I'm able to do, like maybe some of the server-side stuff... but I assure you that the whole project is too much for my abilities.
Hoppy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything working great, did the update to version 0.2 still works great but when I click on about it still shows version 0.1. have I updated or not? and how would I tell?

Hoppy
SharpEye
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

I have tried to update from the link at the beginning of the topic but it downloads a 30 Aug 05 dated file exactly the same size as the 01 version file and once installed has the version info of .01

I have flushed my cache Embarassed (that always sounds iffy to me) in both explorer and the proxy server but to no avail Crying or Very sad

However, having said that v01 seems to work well in the main, and now that I have updated activesync to v3.8, OTN now updates on the PPC as well - horrah horrah.

SharpEye.
rsutcliffe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccsnet - I have ASP.Net code to produce this already on a straight conversion of the BBC feeds, Let me know if this would be useful.
rsutcliffe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandymac - Look in yout My Documents folder, you should have a number of error log files in there can you post one on here so I can see what your problem is?
rsutcliffe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rleeden - I'm happy for anyone to host the application, however I will always post the latest on PocketGpsWorld first.
rsutcliffe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LjL - no reason OTN couldn't support this, if you look at travelfeed.opml in the OTN directory, this contains all the URL's for the travel data contained.
rsutcliffe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for all your feedback so far. I am looking to set up a website in the near future so I can host the ASP.NET version of this application.

For the technically minded amongst you, how I do this is down to the level of control I can get on the server.

The first, and preferable way would be to have OTN run as a service and regularly update a main database - this would allow me to do much more in the way of deduplicating data.

Unfortunately such control comes at a price I cannot afford, therefore I will probably have to settle with caching the data for each individual feed that the BBC currently provide.

Failing that I would look to create a project on sourceforge.org and make the ASP.NET version open source, using some licensing to protect IP.

Any thoughts?
SandyMac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandymac - Look in yout My Documents folder, you should have a number of error log files in there can you post one on here so I can see what your problem is?

Sorry but not sure if I have explained correctly. All is working as expected - the feeds are updating to the PDA (Mitac 168, if you are interested) and am more than happy with this. Just don't see the POIs in TT5 and cannot therefore display on map. Have tried deleting other POIs etc but still can't see the entry even though I can with CheckPOInt (this is shown in the "not synchronised" folder). Just need to know what I must do to actually view the data in TT5.
SharpEye
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Thoughts on a central server system Reply with quote

I do like the concept of your programme. However I don't entirely agree about making a central server as opposed to the standalone product that it is at the moment.

Pocketgps has trouble with bandwidth and I can see you having the same issue. However on the standalone front you would not need to fork out for server and bandwidth. Just think of all the aggro you would get if your server (or the Beebs) went down. However, if the clients got the feed direct from the beeb as they do now you should not get aggro.(well, not so much of it Wink ).

Other pros/cons are...

It is less likey for the Beebs feed to go down as they are a larger corporation.

As a standalone each user will have the option to use any new feeds that may appear and not be tied to one provider.

You are less likely to infringe copyright/licensing

Hmmmm - can't think of any con's at the moment for the standalone product.

Ok, i will retire under the parapet now to see what brickbats come my way Laughing

SharpEye
alfie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Proxy server Reply with quote

Hi Richard, Thanks for the Proxy setting, however is there some syntax for including username and a password in the proxy address?
Sadly I have to connect via a work proxy and I need to enter username and password each session that I connect to the www.
ThisThe proxy addition is definately a step forward as I didn't get any data in My Documents folder other than just a bmp, now get al ot of error files & a 0byte ov2 file.
The error(s) I am getting are
http://www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews/tpeg/en/local/rtm/york_tpeg.xml
--------------------------------
The remote server returned an error: (407) Proxy Authentication Required.
--------------------------------
Thanks for your efforts judging from the feedback its a great app.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 7 of 13

Jump to: