Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TOMTOM PERM DOCKING KIT AUDIO PROBLEM
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TOMTOM PERM DOCKING KIT AUDIO PROBLEM
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
onezone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right.. confirmed.. the car kit side of the TT700, you do not hear the voice from the car stereo speakers.. at least you are not supposed to. you have to set the volume whilst on a call, to no more than 70% - then it works fine.

I have fixed the microphone problem, moved it closed on the pillar and faced it towards my mouth, and it works fine.

One problem left..

You are SUPPOSED to be able to link the night vision on the maps to the car headlights, but when you select this from the dockings screen it immediately goes into night view, and is very dark, you dont even have to switch the headlights on.. it just happens !! - AND>!!!! you cant turn it back to day mode, unless you untick the LINK TO HEADLIGHTS option

What a nightmare..

Anyone know how I might fix the night vision/headlights issue??
wildatheart
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds to me like your headlight/nightscreen problem is due to incorrect wiring of the TomTom Kit. Or, at least there is a constant +12V charge on the orange wire of the TomTom harnass at present, when it is only supposed to have charge when your lights come on. I will be wiring this function in myself over the next day or two, so I'll be able to confirm for certain whether it works correctly here.
wildatheart
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it all back; I get exactly the same behaviour as you describe, having wired things up correctly. In fact, even with the lights NOT in any way connected, the Permanent Docking Kit still causes this. Whilst the bluetooth-phone-speaker issue was a disappointment, this, it seems to me, is likely a fault in the design. I would be very keen to hear of anyone who has this feature working correctly, so I will post a new message specifically about this, as the subject of this thread no longer applies.
dill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More guinea pigs for TomTom to try out there new Ideas, and to charge them.
little_wing
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is the response I got from TomTom:

Quote:
the permanent docking kit for the TomTom GO 500 does route phone calls through the car stereo speakers. We racomand you to chose a professional installer in order to insall your permanent docking kit.

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Anyone managed to get this working?
little_wing
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onezone wrote:
right.. confirmed.. the car kit side of the TT700, you do not hear the voice from the car stereo speakers.. at least you are not supposed to. you have to set the volume whilst on a call, to no more than 70% - then it works fine.

Just re-read this - does this mean the audio *is* routed through the stereo speakers? Sorry - it isn't quite clear there...
wildatheart
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that Onezone was told (by his professional installer?) that the phone sound is not supposed to come through the speakers. Personally, having used the kit for a few days, I think that there is a fault with the kit, as the crackle sound that comes through the speakers during a phone call is pretty unacceptable. Having to turn the volume right down is also, in my opinion, unacceptable.

I am very interested to read TomTom's assertion that the phone sound should indeed come throught the speakers. What prompted this response? Did you write to them after having installed the kit? Personally I didn't have the kit installed professionally -I did it myself. I find it very hard to believe however, that the sound issue would be fixed if the kit had been installed professionally. There is not much to it, and most importantly, the direction sounds are crystal clear. And Onezone did have his installed professionally. In my opinion this must mean there is a problem with the unit, because surely, audio out = audio out? If TomTom, or anyone else can explain how the phone sound is somehow routed differently to the speakers than the direction sound, I am all ears.[/i]
little_wing
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mailed them off the TomTom support pages asking if phone audio was supposed to route through the stereo as this would be a critical factor in deciding whether I would buy one or not. As you can see, they say it is meant to, so without actually having a kit to play with, I can't tell whether you may have a faulty kit, or if there is something wrong with the install, or whether they are simply wrong.

Have you tried the TomTom support pages yet? I'd be interested to hear what they have to say in response to the problems you're having.
wildatheart
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did indeed email TomTom via their support page this evening. I will post here what, if any, response I get.

Meanwhile, I would love to hear from anyone who is indeed getting the TomTom to play phone sound through their car speakers.
onezone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what the installer told me.. the phone audio isn't supposed to come through the stereo, as the Bluetooth kit is a separate part of the product, and only routes audio through the TT Speaker.

Which I think could be true, you know.. I used the TT as a bluetooth product before having the per docking kit put in, and whilst on a call NO voice instructions would happen at the same time, all I got was a small beep to tell me an instruction SHOULD have been said, and a flashing arrow to tell me what to do next, so it does sound like

Bluetooth audio - Speaker
Voice instructions - Stereo

But then, if anyone else know any different, or has both from the stereo, please tell me.

Likewise with the car headlight option, anyone got that working properly?
wildatheart
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very surprising, then, that TomTom told Littlewing the phone audio should come through the speakers. Iwonder if they might not know their own product too well. With the crackle, we're stuck at a half way house, it would seem.

I am very interested to read MikeB's review of the Perm Dock Kit on this site, to see what his experiences are. Hurry if you can, Mike Smile
little_wing
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be very interested to read the review too - maybe MikeB can get a definitive answer for us both from TomTom and from experience.

In the meantime, thanks for the input from all the guys who already have the kit Smile
will562
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have permanent docking kit....

Headlights/dimming works fine
No audio for phone calls - stupid and annoying!
background interferance when there is a voice command which differs from voice to voice. I chose to keep it because i think the permanent power is great and the external antenna makes such a differance. However I have sent off a complaint email to TOMTOM but with no reply yet and if they do bring out a new version i will be wanting mine swapped for free.
onezone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unbelievable........ my headlight option doesn't work !!!

Try getting hold of tomtom..and you'll wait a few weeks..
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

I am currently having similar problems to those reported by yourselves. It is compounded by the fact that I was trying to test with 5.202 and some other beta software.

Bottom line is as of today:

GO300:
Navigation Voice routes through the speakers perfectly.
No other functionality available.

GO700:
With 5.202 I had some issues with distorted navigation voice.
With later beta versions it was worse.
With 5.201 The navigation voice exhibits some hissing and static.

On all versions the phone does cut out the car speakers, but the phone also tries to be output through the speakers, resulting in a lot of crackling and distortion.

With all current versions of the software the phone is supposed to route through the GO speaker, muting the car speakers. The support guy may have got confused as there are plans to route the phone through the car speakers, but not yet.

Now what I have been unable to work out is whether the relays are being activated. My VIB is situated in a position that prevents me hearing them working. If anyone experiencing this problem can get close to their VIB can you check if the relays are being activated for both Navigation instructions and voice calls. This may help get to the bottom of this problem.

Needless to say I have seen this all working perfectly in TomTom's offices in Amsterdam.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: