Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Openzone POIs?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Openzone POIs?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomo1340
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I joined BT, I thought they were a bit of a rip off merchant myself, and in some ways they are. However it has been brought to my attention that a lot of what BT charges and the products they bring out etc are regulated by OffCom. Look at it this way, BT have the money to not suffer too bad if they drop their prices lower than their competitors long enough for them to put a lot of the smaller Telco's out of business and increase their market share, but OffCom won't allow it, which is actually a good thing in a way as it would prevent BT being the super power they were before they were regulated.

On a slightly different note, a lot of my friends and family are with other companies, and that is their choice, however as quoted in another part of this forum: "Pay a little more and get a better service" and "Any company can make a mistake it is how they deal with that mistake that counts"
Without mentioning any company names I have a family member who asked his service provider to install a telephone extension in the bedroom. The extension never worked and when he got them back to sort it they actually charged him for the visit! This was after ringing a premium rate number to complain too. The same company when they first connected him to the network said they would place the cable in a duct through his garden to protect it from damage, they agreed a route and he went off to work. A week later he went in the garden to do a bit of weeding and turn the borders over, guess what? He cut right through a cable that first of all should not have been in that area and second of all had no armouring or protection and was not ducted. He got billed.
A lot of people had bad experiences with BT but in my experience BT bend over backwards to rectify problems, before I worked for them, I ordered ADSL with them but it did not work when they said it would. I rang a free phone number and they talked me through various things and said an engineer might have to call and there may be a charge. The engineer called, fixed the problem and there was no charge or attempted charge. Obviously I am going to say BT is best, but that is just my experience, I thought they were the Telco for me before I joined them, I have friends and family who use other service providers and are more than happy with them. I have friends who use BT and detest them, that's cool with me. You can't please all the people all the time. Pricing gets up my nose too. I don't want to miss home phone calls so I have to pay to have them forwarded to my mobile, I don't like carrying 2 mobiles around at work so I divert my personal non BT network mobile to my work phone, I still have to pay for it, you may not have to in other countries. Do other Telco's in the UK charge for call forwarding and diverting? It is something I have no experience of so cannot answer.

As I say, obviously I am going to defend my employers, they put food on my table, and look after me, it is only natural for me to want to stick up for them. I can't say they are the best service provider for everyone, but they are the best for me, I know of lots of BT people who use other Telco's service as it suits them better. Each to his own, just please be aware that nearly everything BT do from pricing to products has to be run by and agreed by OffCom, the same as any other Telco, what do you think OffCom would say if BT said they would like to have one fixed line rental for £1 a month and that includes unlimited download ADSL and free calls to landlines, free CLID, Call waiting etc and no other company could match it?

Now that's a nice thought!

Sorry for the essay/rant
Masked-Marauder
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

exfive wrote:
Soon Can someone please talk to someone that knows someone that is related to someone that runs this forum and ask them to introduce a spellchecker??

You could always just download and use Opera or Firefox and use their plug-in spelling checker.
exfive
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything you wrote is what the BT marketing people are saying. But it is incorrect I'm afraid.
France telecom and Deutsche telecom (which are much bigger than BT anyway) are also regulated, but have much better pricing and service than BT. They have realised that offering some services for free (call forwarding for instance) actually generates more revenue in calls than the revenue earned from charging for the service in the first place. So what I am saying is not that they have to cut their prices to kill the competition. They need to rethink their marketing strategy. It is based on a very old concept that loses them a lot of money. And it's got nothing to do with them being regulated.
I am a BT customer and I have not had bad experiences with BT. I am just saying their marketing strategy is very old fashioned and loses them a lot of money. So I'm actually for BT not against them. And everything I wrote is in line with the regulatory boards so it can be done.

I suggest they get their a*se into gear Driving and take a leap into the 21st century (I believe they are still stuck somewhere in 1974)
Their engineers know what their doing. Their management don't.
exfive
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masked-Marauder wrote:
You could always just download and use Opera or Firefox and use their plug-in spelling checker.

I know the workaround methods and I'm using them (since Bo peep hinted something about my spelling Smile) I just thought it would be easier to use a built in spellchecker
tomo1340
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exfive wrote:

I suggest they get their a*se into gear Driving and take a leap into the 21st century (I believe they are still stuck somewhere in 1974)
Their engineers know what their doing. Their management don't.

I can agree a little with that quote but when you hear of a fantastic new product that Bt have developed but can't release because the regulators say the competition could not compete, it just seems, well wrong to me.

What are other telco's pricing stratergies like in relation to BT? The reason I ask is there are quite a few rumblings high up in BT and we have been told to stand by for some big changes in the very near future. What that means I have no idea.

One thing I will say is how crazy is it that BT has to actually compete with itself because the regulator has split the business.

In regard to France Telecom and Deutsche Telecom I can't argue with what you are saying becuase I have no frame of reference. but are they regulated as much as UK telco's?

Also isn't Deutsche Telekom part owned by a UK company or something?
tomo1340
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomo1340 wrote:

Also isn't Deutsche Telekom part owned by a UK company or something?

Sorry

I think I may have that the wrong way round! I think they own a UK telco but may also be in a partnership with BT
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomo1340 wrote:

I don't like carrying 2 mobiles around at work so I divert my personal non BT network mobile to my work phone,

I to don't like the two mobiles and a PDA so the XDA is just great one device replaces three, I operate it using a twin sim card carrier - you have to physically cut up the sim cards to fit but once done and fitted the phone has two numbers - great bit of kit for less than three quid from e-bay - cheers - Mike
Masked-Marauder
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to agree that BT are over regulated. Take free local calls for example. They can not give us free local calls because that would be unfair competition against the telecos who are giving us free local calls! Amazing!
exfive
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deutsche telekom is Europe’s largest telecommunications provider and has business all over the world. France telecom is not far behind. BT is miles and miles and miles behind. And it should not be like that. But it is. They are jsut better at it, that's all.
In the UK DT own T Mobile (the whole of it not just the UK part).
By the way - I am not affiliated with or related to DT or FT I just wish BT would get their house in order and start playing with the big boys instead of offering low tech services for high prices (while paying for Jeremy Clarkson's kids' education... for explaining about this new wonderful service that has actually been around for ages and BT charged for it instead of introducing it for free like ALL the other big communications providers around the world).
tomo1340
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In what way are BT miles and miles behind FT and DT? Just in pricing or if in technology, what specific technology?
exfive
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I to don't like the two mobiles and a PDA so the XDA is just great one device replaces three, I operate it using a twin sim card carrier - you have to physically cut up the sim cards to fit but once done and fitted the phone has two numbers - great bit of kit for less than three quid from e-bay - cheers - Mike

Mike, can you use both of the sims at the same time? I mean can you get and make calls on both of them? Or do you have to switch your phone on and off all the time and can only use one at a time?
exfive
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomo1340 wrote:
In what way are BT miles and miles behind FT and DT? Just in pricing or if in technology, what specific technology?

They usually offer any service before BT does, they price it better, they understand what needs to be free in order to generate more calls (and not in order to kill competition) they offer better and quicker installations and customer service and in general just run better as companies. It's not very difficult to see what BT is doing wrong. They lack many things, but the most important thing they lack is Vision. The only reason they are still in business is because they used to be a monopoly and because the british people are very old fashioned and will stick to what they know, not to what is best for them.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can only make / receive calls of a single number at any one time, but the sim holder/ addaptor has a chip onboard which puts n application into the phone (so I think it will only work with smart phones and PDA style devices), you then use this to toggle between either number. You certainly don't have to turn the phone off - this used to be the case with the early versions but not anymore. You can even set it to switch numbers at specific times of the day automaticaly - i.e. company number 07:30 to 18:00, personal number 18:00 to 07:30, it stops the company unit ringing at night :D - overall quite impressed with it, and with the kit came templates for cutting the sim, addapters to put them back to the correct size should you need to and some instructions of what the software can do - Mike
exfive
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike - thanks for the info.
tomo1340
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exfive wrote:
tomo1340 wrote:

They usually offer any service before BT does, they price it better, they understand what needs to be free in order to generate more calls (and not in order to kill competition) they offer better and quicker installations and customer service and in general just run better as companies. It's not very difficult to see what BT is doing wrong. They lack many things, but the most important thing they lack is Vision. The only reason they are still in business is because they used to be a monopoly and because the british people are very old fashioned and will stick to what they know, not to what is best for them.

A lot of this seems to come down to what I said about regulation. I really doubt that French Telco's and German Telco's are regulated as much as telco's here, particularly BT who in my opinion seem to be regulated on an unlevel playing field. I am suprised BT Fusion has not been nipped in the bud by Offcom because no one else seems to be offering it (I may be wrong, I haven't checked)
I do admit DT brings out faster products though. When my brother lived in Germany, he got a system where if his missus was on the phone, he could pick up another handset and symultaniously amke another call, thats a good point. The down side, you are in the house on your own on the phone and instead of call waiting another handset rings, then another that was a pain in the jaxie.

On the customer service note I disagree, when I go onto installations and customer service engineering, my customers are generally suprised when I turn up and fix a fault they only reported that morning or the day before.

Problems occour when a customer visit is needed and the customer cannot be present due to commitments through work etc. This means an agreed appointment may not be as speedy as is hoped.
This is only my experience where I live where you are it may be a different situation.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: