Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - I think I have a dud tt500
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

I think I have a dud tt500

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobbinman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: I think I have a dud tt500 Reply with quote

Hi everyone

This is my first post to this forum. I have had a tt500 for a week now and I am sure I have a dud but can you help me make sure before I return it.

The screen mount broke straight away, new one on its way annoying but can live it, did also buy an alternative mount and am happy with the stick on section.

Ok I have a Citroen C4 vtr plus and yes I know it does have a heat reflective screen. I have mounted the unit on the drivers door window (the small one not the one that opens :D ) I do not believe that this is heat reflective but is tinted. In this position I get a strong signal and it does not differ much when the unit is out of the car. I do have an external antenna on order but who knows when that will turn up!!!

My unit seems to continually re boots itself. I did speak with tom tom support (yes I did get through eventually) they told me to drain the battery of the tt500 till it completely dies and then recharge for 6 hours. They were talking of voltage spikes that can affect the firmware and cause this. I said ok, but it also happens when connected to the cigarette charger, I was told that it also happens via this charger, I said I had a brand new car I was told it happens on New & old cars!

I did buy a Sandisk ultraII 1 gb card to see if that helped but it made no difference.

I drained the battery as instructed and it was not much better on a journey this weekend it still continually re booted, when it did re start it did not remember its root and lost other settings. It completely froze needing resetting via the bottom of the unit at least 4 times When the unit got low on battery I used the car charger and it was worse Evil or Very Mad

Is this normally behaviour for poor signal problems?
Should I wait for the external Arial? (May be a long wait)
Should I just return it now?

When it works it works fine but is completely useless at the moment.

Please help before I put a hammer into it!

Thanks for your time in reading this and any help anyone can give is most welcome

Thanks
Chris
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds faulty, if it's still doing it with a 1GB card. The usual cause of this is an overfull card.

Have you added any PoIs or voices that could be corrupted?
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
bobbinman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi sgould

Thanks for the reply.

I did download the John Cleese voice and the speed cameras from this site. The unit was giving bad symptons before these downloads.

I stopped using the JC voice and am using Jane at the moment, I did deleat all the other voices!

Thanks
Chris
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only other thing I've heard tell on these boards is a corrupted .cfg file. This holds your favourites etc.

You could copy this file to a backup somewhere, then delete it on the GO. I believe (and I could be wrong - that's what the backup is for!!) that the GO will generate a new clean file at the next restart. If that fixes it, OK, otherwise get a new GO from the supplier.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the .cfg file in each map folder. Not the TomTom-cfg folder that has "birthday" in it.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobbinman: return the unit to the shop asap.
bobbinman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgould

Thanks for the sugestion I tried the cfg file solution but with no luck. I have taken the unit back and got a new replacment. Fingers crossed that this one will work.

On another forum someone sugested that the problem lay with the polartiy of the tt500 car charger cable and my cars 12v/cigarette power supply. I have a UK model Citroen C4 vtr plus and a Tom tom 500 bought in the UK from Comet. Surely there can not be a mismatch in the polartiy, my phone charges without problem. I will only be using the mains charger for the tt500 until I can be sure theres no problem!

Anyone with any thoughts?

Also does anyone know of a surge protector type device to put in between my 12v/cigarette charger and the tom tom cigarette charger cable? tom tom support said the car battery can send voltage spikes to the tt500 unit!

Do you all make sure the car is started before connecting to your cars cigarette power supply?

Thanks again Chris
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chap who suggested this on mytomtomgo forums doesn't understand what he was talking about. He was trying to say that if you have an intermittent connection between the CLA and the 12V socket the unit will switch off and on, but you had the unit resetting itself (with the red hands and the bootloader screen). As for the connecting the CLA after the engine has been started, I never bothered and I have the killer CLA.
bobbinman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Eldar

Thanks for clearing that up :D

Chris
bobbinman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am a happy man Laughing my replacment tt500 works just fine. Thanks again to all of you who helped me out.

Chris
dill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got it sorted.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: