Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - eBay and Other Sites Offering Our Safety Camera Database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

eBay and Other Sites Offering Our Safety Camera Database
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 32, 33, 34  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the_questioner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't doubt that & I'm not defending any of these actions. What is happening is wrong. I don't use ebay for this reason, I got ripped off a few years ago for an autograph, so I don't ever use it. Anyway why would someone want to pay money for things that are clearly FREE.

There are two sides to every story but this thead only ever shows one side. That is, obviously your choice. As I have said before I don't agree with the selling of this kind of stuff. I am not the voice of defence but just a voice asking questions, trying to make sense of what is going on and making people should think about thier comments, before making judgement.

If people don't want things copying, don't let people download it.

I suppose all people who post here have never copied any music, created a tape or CD for the car or watched a copied DVD or video. If you have, then you're a pirate.

You can't create a book or file with UK postcodes in and then say it is your copyright. That would mean that no-one would be able to use a postcode or put them on letters. That's all.
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nonsense to say if you don't want something copied, keep it to yourself; the onus is not on the author to prevent copyright theft, it is on the user (reader, listener, viewer or whoever) not to do it.
kentmere97
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Caravan Club Reply with quote

www.caravanclub.co.uk

Their monthly magazine has a very high circulation (100,000+), is a quality publication and is very respected by those who read it.

The Caravan Club is extremely sensitive on issues such as copyright and adhere to the letter of any, and all, laws on all issues.

If you feel they might be assisting in Copyright theft through one of their advertisers then contact them.

First contact is the magazine editor, Barry Williams. Most powerful person, in the extremely successful and very profitable organisation, is Trevor Watson their long serving Director General.
the_questioner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with spook51
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_questioner wrote:

1. I'm not defending any of these actions. What is happening is wrong.

2. There are two sides to every story but this thead only ever shows one side.
If people don't want things copying, don't let people download it.

3. I suppose all people who post here have never copied any music, created a tape or CD for the car or watched a copied DVD or video. If you have, then you're a pirate.

4. You can't create a book or file with UK postcodes in and then say it is your copyright. That would mean that no-one would be able to use a postcode or put them on letters. That's all.

1. Glad to hear it :D. Although I haven't seen anything coherent in These arguments which would constitute the opposite point of view.

2. Yes there is always another perspective. On a forum of people who contribute to this database what would you expect? Also anyone with a shred of common sense wouldn't condone what's going on here.

3. Not sure what point is been made here? does this make it right? - I'm not sure it's even relevant... see point below

"don't download it" - it's a free database for everyone.... the use of it has never been an issue on this forum, nor is the coying of it - The selling of this information is the issue.

4. It all depends on how that information is packaged and what value you add to it. If we relate this back to the database..... a lot of work has gone into providing extra information ie. Longitiude and Latitude for use with a GPS system. Although the Police do provide this information it's totally usless for a GPS system until somebody does the legwork and gets the Lat and Lon information AND the type of Camera AND the speed limit - this takes effort, adds value - so why shouldn't it be subject to Copyright?

Chris

Chris
the_questioner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_w wrote:

4. It all depends on how that information is packaged and what value you add to it. If we relate this back to the database..... a lot of work has gone into providing extra information ie. Longitiude and Latitude for use with a GPS system. Although the Police do provide this information it's totally usless for a GPS system until somebody does the legwork and gets the Lat and Lon information AND the type of Camera AND the speed limit - this takes effort, adds value - so why shouldn't it be subject to Copyright?

Chris

I quite agree however, you can't copyright postcodes as these are owned by the crown.

Remember that not everyone is computer literate. maybe an advert in mags that sell GPS systems or on sites that do would help people find all this stuff and put those guys out of business.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Caravan Club Reply with quote

kentmere97 wrote:
www.caravanclub.co.uk

Their monthly magazine has a very high circulation (100,000+), is a quality publication and is very respected by those who read it.

The Caravan Club is extremely sensitive on issues such as copyright and adhere to the letter of any, and all, laws on all issues.

If you feel they might be assisting in Copyright theft through one of their advertisers then contact them.

First contact is the magazine editor, Barry Williams. Most powerful person, in the extremely successful and very profitable organisation, is Trevor Watson their long serving Director General.

Did I miss a post? Who suggested they had broken copyright?
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_questioner wrote:
I quite agree however, you can't copyright postcodes as these are owned by the crown.
You're right, but the file that cross-references postcodes to lat/long co-ordinates is copyright (either OS or the Royal Mail). This is why the formerly excellent digitools postcode database (which worked well with TTN3) is no more. Fortunately full postcode support is in TTN5 anyway.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how did the caravan club get get in to this i must be missing something or need another coffee therrs nothing there lastest magazine that ive seen Confused Confused Confused Confused

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
squigles
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea It would appear, that by making it more widely known, that the Camera Data Base is FREE to download and use would frustrate or even curtail these leachers.

Just an idea, any arguments on the back of a £50 Wink Thanks

Squigles
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squigles wrote:
Idea It would appear, that by making it more widely known, that the Camera Data Base is FREE to download and use would frustrate or even curtail these leachers.

Just an idea, any arguments on the back of a £50 Wink Thanks

Squigles

You'll get no argument from me. :D Only 'cos I refuse to pay £50. Laughing

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
squigles
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your no fun Oldboy :D
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well not at that price. :D Unless someone else is paying. Twisted Evil

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Alan Sanders
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Caravan Club Reply with quote

Darren, alix776

Please see my posting Friday 26th August 4:43

Link- that should help to explain why the Caravan Club got a mention.

Alan Rolling Eyes
cerocbabe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: 7995022412 Reply with quote

someone is selling a speed camera software on ebay. ends 31 august. no idea if it's yours, just happened to come across it.
Lucia

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 12 of 34

Jump to: