Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 5 Optimisation
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 5 Optimisation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobulos
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: TomTom 5 Optimisation Reply with quote

Hi, any tips on making tomtom 5 run smoothly i.e. so that the updating of map position isn't jerky ?
Asghar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best thing I did was to disable the showing of POI's on the map.

Makes the map much smoother and I no longer have to wait at around 10 seconds for the map to rotate after I have made a turn.
Maxi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom 5 Optimisation Reply with quote

bobulos wrote:
Hi, any tips on making tomtom 5 run smoothly i.e. so that the updating of map position isn't jerky ?

This is more of a hardware than a software issue. Theres a number of people on these boards that have this scrolling problem. On my XDAIIs its no problem at all. Do you close all your other applications down before you use Tomtom?
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes disable your poi's ,you can use the camera database from this website and maybe 1 or 2 poi's made from the tt program
but you can't show any tt3 custom poi's
berghaus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: This is the way to do it !! Reply with quote

Disable POI

THEN TAP BROUSE MAP

THEN TAP OPTIONS

THEN TICK POINTS OF INTEREST

By doing this, you will have super smooth running plus still have the speed cameras showing, Yep it does work. :D
Memory Map 2004 1:50000 & 1:25000 + AERIAL ALL UK (FANTASTIC)
Mountain Biking (OFF ROAD)
Hiking
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't a hardware issue because TT4, which was largely the same as TT5 as far as display and navigation is concerned did not lag on my hardware with 12000 POIs unhidden, whilst TT5 lags with 6!
bobulos
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that its a hardware issue as I got TT5 to work as well on a 16MB Clie as a 32 MB Palm. On both I had POIs turned off, no sound, basically as little as possible (no other apps on memory /running) , the position still always slightly lags behind. Its not GPS prob as I now have a 20 channel receiver. Maybe need to try it on a 64MB machine just to see if its any better.
BarMuda
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this nugget of info on another thread...

newmikey wrote:
[BTW: if anyone has an issue with the map not moving smoothly, but in jerks, there is a solution for that as well!

Use the POI settings and uncheck all of your imported POI categories (The ov2 files for f.i. speedcams)
Than go to the proximity warning settings (the POIwarner-like thingamajiggie) and mark those same categories for proximity warnings. I used a 400 meter threshold, use what you think is handy.

That's all. The speedcams will still show up when you go anywhere near them, but the map will scroll smoothly again.

The origin of this problem seems to be a different internal handling of the ov2 files by TT5 which causes all external POI's to be redrawn every time you move.

One thing i would i would suggest is that:
A) do not uncheck all of your imported POI categories, as they will not be displayed in the map view. Instead click on the hide POI icon.

B) change the distance to around 600 yards so that it is on screen longer (it should appear at the top of the screen rather than appear mid way through it.)

Hope this helps.

Mazda MX5 1.8IS Second Edition

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: