Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Rider, How much?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Rider, How much?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Berisford
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: TomTom Rider, How much? Reply with quote

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=TOMTOM_RIDER_GB

£700, they're having a laugh, arn't they?
Cujo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought it was going to be around the £600 mark. Just found a sight @ £550.

Looks an excellent piece of kit but I guess I'm stuck with my ipaq 8)
daveLDC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Bike GO Reply with quote

Looks like good value to me. The kit includes a BT headset, mounting and the full european maps. If I had a motorcycle I would go for it. Just think that I spent almost the same on my PDA the TT5 software/BT receiver and the car mount. I have not got the European maps, that is another £100!
Do motorcycles have 12v accessory charging sockets these days? My Royal Enfield 250 Crusader Sport did'nt even have 12v, but that was 40 years ago!
SEIDIO 2500 Amplified mount.
masrock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cut a retangular hole in a piece of cardboard with four punched holes for an elastic band. This held my mitac mio in place nicely. I then place the cardboard sheet and mitac in my map section (the cardboars was cut to fit the area in the map pocket.) on the tank bag and ran the headphone into my helmet.

Cost so far £0.

Problems: need to fit a sunscreen for bright sunlight
You have to be careful getting off the bike, cause of the wire.
I need some earbuds as the mitac earplugs hurt a little after a while in a tight crash helmet.
You have to remember to set the volume BEFORE setting off unless you want to be deafend all the way into Blackburn town centre - not that that happend to me of course.

Laughing

Masrock
masrock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS I have a battery exytende containing four AA bateries for the mitac for longer journeys

Maasrock
masrock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS I have a battery extender containing four AA batteries for the mitac for longer journeys

Maasrock
masrock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update.

I found a bluetooth transmitter on ebay that fits into the earplug socket of phones and of course pda's. I'm going to have a go modifying a damaged earpiece I have at home to make a helmet earpiece. So soon I may have a comfortable bluetooth pda to helmet system for not much money. that will work with pda's.

wish me luck.

Masrock
sn0rg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought a phone attachment (wired, not BT) for my helmet. It worked OK, but I found the earpiece took up so much room it hurt my ear.

The socket connecting to the phone broke after a while, and since then I've been toying with the idea of buying a BT enabled Helmet (like the BMW System 5).
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My girlfriend's £2000 scooter has a 12v socket under the seat for phone charging etc - The Itlaians are getting quite hot on this sort of convinience thing.
Noony
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: My GPS/motorbike setup Reply with quote

I couldn't wait for Tomtom so I set my own up. I have used my exisitng items. The waterproof case is used on my mountain bike (with Memory Map) bought an extra handle bar clamp so that I can switch over very easily. The Fortuna Bluetooth is used on a daily basis in the car. The only extra that I purchased was the Cardo Scala Rider bluetooth for helmet, very happy with the whole set up.

I've tried a few different setups but now I'm settled on this one:

An 1900 Otterbox (bombproof, neat and tidy)
RAM Mount (very sturdy, mount absorbs vibrations and shocks, even at high speed)
Fortuna Bluetooth GPS Receiver (sits under the seat runs for approx 5 hours))
HX4700 with extended battery (runs for approx 5 hours with 2 blueooth devices running constantly, screen on 50-60%)
Scala Cardo Bluetooth Headset (for motorbike helmet, sits on the outside mic & speaker go inside)

Some of my pictures can be found here if anyone is interested;

http://www.spam-ce.com/index.php?board=11;action=display;threadid=11480;start=msg77046#msg77046

If anyone has any questions I'll try to help....
Noony
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

masrock wrote:
Quick update.

I found a bluetooth transmitter on ebay that fits into the earplug socket of phones and of course pda's. I'm going to have a go modifying a damaged earpiece I have at home to make a helmet earpiece. So soon I may have a comfortable bluetooth pda to helmet system for not much money. that will work with pda's.

wish me luck.

Masrock

I tried this but could not get the volume high enough. I still have 2 bluetooth headsets in bits with various attachments :D

I bought my Cardo Scala Rider for £70 I'm very happy it's load and clear and the mic works great. The only thing is you have to manuallyl change between 2 devices i.e. PDA and Mobile, but I can live with that.

The flat speaker is just perfect. I highly recommend it 8)

Let me know how you get on with your project?

Good luck
Noony

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: