Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HELP! Tom Tom 2 Keeps Locking UP
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP! Tom Tom 2 Keeps Locking UP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seamansam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: HELP! Tom Tom 2 Keeps Locking UP Reply with quote

Hi there,

Just installed a brand new copy of Tom Tom 2 (Version 2.02) onto my Ipaq 3830. Install went fine, asked for product id etc.

Installed all UK maps on 128mb Sandisk SD card.

When I try to use Tom Tom simulation or in car the program just locks up. I Have to do a soft reset to restart but it locks up all the time

Using a Leadtek 9532 GPS Receiver which seems to work fine go on GPS screen and it shows sat lock speed etc.

What am I doing wrong and how can I fix it?

Help,

Mark.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: HELP! Tom Tom 2 Keeps Locking UP Reply with quote

The chances are that you've only got version 2.00, which is unstable under some circumstances. However, you've also reported you can't install 2.22 in another thread. I've posted some suggestions about that there.

Let's start with some basics. You should install the program, GPS driver and voice prompts into main memory. The maps can go anywhere you like - on a memory card is the most popular choice.

You also want as much spare memory as you can get for program execution - on a 32MB RAM device like your 3830, this is obviously harder than on a 64MB RAM device like my 3970. The voice prompts, software and GPS driver together take around 5MB.

TomTom say 5MB of program memory is required for Navigator; I'd try to aim for a little more than that just to ensure there is sufficient memory. I can't tell you the effect of being memory cramped - I typically have around 21MB of program memory spare on my 64MB 3970.

If you're trying to use any add-on programs like GPSAssist or CheckPOInt, uninstall those for now. They impose additional demands on the Pocket PC.

The next thought that comes to mind is whether your memory card is working reliably and adequately fast. Sandisk tends to be the slowest and least reliable brand of SD memory. Unfortunately a lot of other manufacturers are rebadged Sandisk too.

It will help if you defragment the memory card if you haven't already done so. If you have another memory card to hand, it may well be worth trying that (or trying with a smaller map segment on your existing card).

Sorry these are relatively vague suggestions on the whole - but they are the first things that come to mind.

Do you happen to notice any pattern in the lock-ups - is it, for example, when the program attempts to give a voice instruction. You could see the effect of running without voice navigation by getting in the car, selecting Navigator mode and turning guidance off using the Navigator menu - or you could turn off voice navigation in the Properties screen, Advanced tab.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: