Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Etrex as my first GPS?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Etrex as my first GPS?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grantsteve
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Garmin Etrex as my first GPS? Reply with quote

I am a keen walker/hiker and am looking to get into the world of GPS but am struggling with my first purchase. From the limited reading I've managed to do the basic handhelds would seem to be enough to get me going, but which one?

I've been looking at the etrex (the bright yellow one). What are peoples thoughts on this one? Is it any good? Is it the right one for me? I've also been looking at the Magellan eXplorist range.

Thanks for your help Smile
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a good run with Gamin GPS units. I don't know the smaller GPS units that well but some things to look out for are:

The etrex with black and white screens are fairly old now, but still work fine.

The compass on most GPS units only works when you are moving (just walking a few steps will do) but some models have an electronic compass and barometric altimeter.

Some models allow you to upload maps to the GPS, but you can only upload Garmin's streetmaps NOT OS maps.

The newer etrex have colour screens and can do sat nav style auto routing if you buy the optional streetmaps.

Get a GPS with a PC interface (I don't think some of the low end Geko 101/102 models have this) and you can upload/download waypoints to your PC, view track logs showing where you went and use your PC to create routes to upload into your GPS.

Set the GPS to OSGB and BNG and it will give you grid references for your OS maps.

Shop around a bit for the best price. If you are anywhere near Heathrow then check out the showroom at the GPS Warehouse - they have lots of different models on show there so you can get an idea of how big they are.

Good luck! Thumbs Up
Grantsteve
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of being able to up/download waypoints from my PC. Walkingworld.com let you download routes onto memory map to upload which sounds like a good idea. All the units i've seen seem only to have serial links, is there anything with USB? I take it bluetooth is too much to ask?!

Do any of the units come with software for waypoint marking and up/downloading?

Thanks for your help
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grantsteve wrote:
Walkingworld.com let you download routes onto memory map to upload which sounds like a good idea. All the units i've seen seem only to have serial links, is there anything with USB? I take it bluetooth is too much to ask?!

From what I have seen, you can use one of a number of programs like MemoryMap, Fugawi or OziExplorer to view your tracks, routes and waypoints on a scanned map on your PC.

Mapping GPS units come with Mapsource for track/route/waypoint management but I think Garmin provide some other track and waypoint manager with the non mapping GPS units. I think OziExplorer and other software can download data from a Garmin anyway.

Some of the newer GPS units have USB, but the amount of data is fairly small so serial speed isn't such a problem unless you are uploading maps.

Bluetooth? That's way too advanced. Wink
Grantsteve
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for your help Skippy. Think I'm going to plump for a Garmin, can't seem to find anyone who has had experience of the Magellans.

I do think the Magellans look a bit better though Wink

Cheers
Grantsteve
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one other quick question .... Wink

I'm going to the US in a month (NY) and obviously prices over there are far lower than here. It may mean that I can trade up a bit and buy a better spec'd model. Can I buy a unit over there and use it in this country (assuming its not loaded with any base maps)?

Probably a dumb question but I told you I had no idea Embarassed
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grantsteve wrote:
Can I buy a unit over there and use it in this country (assuming its not loaded with any base maps)?

100% Correct! :D

Generally the hardware is exactly the same with a couple of exceptions:

The USA Quest only has 115 Meg rather than the 243 Meg of the EU models.

As you say, if the GPS has a basemap then it will be America and you can't change it. However, if you can upload maps to it then you can upload the maps from the Worldmap CD (extra cost) which are about the same detail as the basemap.

Be careful about buying a streetmapping GPS from America which comes bundled with USA maps because you will have to buy the European maps which are expensive. When you add the cost of USA GPS + EU Streetmaps there is little price difference for these models. (If you travel to the USA a lot and want US/EU maps then it doesn't really matter where you buy it from).

Give your GPS a go when you are on the plane too. It's pretty cool. 8)

Good luck! Thumbs Up
Grantsteve
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats for that. Prices for the boggo basic Garmins and Magellans seems to be the same in dollars as they are in pounds (i.e. around 80 - 90) so I could see a hefty saving.

As for using it on the plane goes, are you sure its a good idea in todays climate? Won't it freak a few people out?! Sad

Added to that will it monkey about with the plane? I've started watching Lost and the last thing I want is to end up in their shoes Embarassed
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grantsteve wrote:
Added to that will it monkey about with the plane? I've started watching Lost and the last thing I want is to end up in their shoes Embarassed

At least you will know where you are. Joker
Garrett1955
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh yes using your gps in a plane is great. i used my etrex vista on the way down to puerto rico and back the winter. it was great. seen when we were near cuba, got skeered Laughing Out Loud and knew right where i was. oh also gave me top speed 589 mph on the way down and elevation. i forget. i was never once bothered.
hoggy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a Garmin etrex and Magellan 330 ... both are reliable ... the etrex the batteries lasted longer, and they are more waterproof ... the 330 had more usable functions such as altitude and this could be recalled and viewed at your leisure with time data from the actual route ... 330 cases are not waterproof!

Both good units and worth having, I used mine on a boat and found neither suitable because of the screens size, but very accurate, both are as accurate as the Garmin 180 Chartplotter on the boat which I now use in their place, and also the tomtom unit I have in the car.

For ease of use there really isn’t that much between them, etrex IMHO has a more logical display, 330 has a better ability to hold a signal ... either are good, maybe the Magellan 330 is a wee bit better if used away from the sea!
BernieK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Garmin handhelds... Reply with quote

I've owned most the Etrex range at one time or another.

Currently I own a Vista C and Streetpilot 2610. Both use City Navigator software (that came with the SP) - the software can be unlocked for use with 2 Garmin units. This gives me full autorouting in both - the Vista can hold 1/4 of the UK, the SP 1/3 of Europe on its 2 GB card. Buying this software (or the "cheaper" City Select) is a very expensive option. These are the only software packages that provide autorouting.

Buy your Garmin in the US if possible. Go for one of the models that have internal memory for hi-rez maps - you'll end up wanting this in the end.

The Legend has 8 MB, Vista and Vista C 24 MB and I believe the Legend C also has 24 MB.

When you get hold of some Garmin mapping discs - note only Garmin software can install map data - you will love it. You can pick up some older versions of Garmin software dirt cheap. It's out of date but good enough for holiday travel.

Do not concern yourself overly with the basemap - it's crap! I've never used it in years of owning a Garmin. When you install map data, it overwrites the basemap anyway.[/b]

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: