Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 5.1 with Dell X50v
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 5.1 with Dell X50v
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pillhead
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: TomTom 5.1 with Dell X50v Reply with quote

Okay, noticed a few people are having success with TomTom 5.1 and the Dell Axim x50v palm tops, however mine just keeps dropping out of the application randomly, after quite a short time.

Was wondering if there were any specific tips on making it work well? SHould I increase teh amount of memory available to programs as apposed to storage? ANything else I should check?
pillhead
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, could any x50v users confirm to me that they have been running TomTom 5.1 sucessfully for navigation? I'm using one of the PDAMODS cradles with the Fuzion GPS, maybe it is incompatible with this? ANyone else have this same configuration?
mbailey3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom 5.1 with Dell X50v Reply with quote

pillhead wrote:
Okay, noticed a few people are having success with TomTom 5.1 and the Dell Axim x50v palm tops, however mine just keeps dropping out of the application randomly, after quite a short time.

Was wondering if there were any specific tips on making it work well? SHould I increase teh amount of memory available to programs as apposed to storage? ANything else I should check?

I had the same problem. Remove all POI's and it should be OK.

Everytime I drove past my local Tesco's TTN5 dropped out. With all the POI's disabled everything is happy!
pillhead
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom 5.1 with Dell X50v Reply with quote

mbailey3 wrote:

I had the same problem. Remove all POI's and it should be OK.

Everytime I drove past my local Tesco's TTN5 dropped out. With all the POI's disabled everything is happy!

Ahh, thats a shame, think I would rather have TomTom in none VGA mode, perhaps running version 5.0 than lose POI's Question
nigelw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not had any problems since upgrading to 5.1.

The longest journey I've been on is around 1 1/2 hours. I've tested it for work and back many times (about 1/2 hour each way). I use a Fortuna ClipOn BT GPS unit.

I have all the CheckPOInt camera POIs installed and proximity warnings set. They are the only POIs I have enabled. It just works now.
raptorheli2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a well known fact that the POI's need to be disabled for the x50v (see aximsite.com). i just put tt5.1 on my x50v this morning so i haven't tested it as of yet. the way round it is to copy the poi.dat file from tt3 into the folder in tt5 and overwrite the one in there. that fixes this problem.

cheers
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it's a well known fact that the POI's need to be disabled for the x50v

It's also a well known fact that the POI's need to be disabled for the illegal versions of TTN5.

The legally registered versions do not appear to have this problem.

Roger
pillhead
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5.1 seems to work fine in none VGA mode with the default 5.1 POI file, the missus has been to rubery so far, usually drops out well before then.

I'm just going to drive mine to bromsgrove, because this trip guarentees it to drop out.

My theory is that it must be something to do with something in the POI file in VGA mode only, I wonder what specific point of interest causes this, hmm.
raptorheli2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i have a legal version and mine drops out on the poi so bang goes that theory.

the fault is with the hi res screens (x50v vga). there is something about 640 pixels it doesn't like. 5.1 update should sort that. it didn't for me or a lot on the aximsite either. however it did fix the memory leak for me.

there is a hack on aximsite to get tomtom to think it's running on a normal qvga screen and hence fixing this problem. i just put the poi file onto mine and it seems to have worked.

cheers
Lancaster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raptorheli2 wrote:
well i have a legal version and mine drops out on the poi so bang goes that theory.

the fault is with the hi res screens (x50v vga). there is something about 640 pixels it doesn't like. 5.1 update should sort that. it didn't for me or a lot on the aximsite either. however it did fix the memory leak for me.

there is a hack on aximsite to get tomtom to think it's running on a normal qvga screen and hence fixing this problem. i just put the poi file onto mine and it seems to have worked.

cheers

I'm using 5.1 on an X50v with safety camera POI (from Pocketgpsworld), parking and cash machines and it works perfectly. All in VGA mode.

I did have all the usual problems with the original version, and 5.1 is still prone to directing me up a dirt track from time to time.

Martin
raptorheli2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the reason yours probably works is your not using the inbuilt poi's which is where the problem apparently lies.

cheers
AlexandreUVa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Tomtom 5 USA + 5.1 upgrade on my x50v.
No problem so far even with the built in POI.
When you are speaking about VGA, are you speaking about the normal use of the x50v? or using a tweak to make it into real vga? Thanks
raptorheli2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the x50v is using vga now. without getting technical about this. as far as tomtom is concerned it's running vga mode (4x qvga) and this is the resolution it pumps out. tomtom 5 had problems with vga so 5.1 was brought out to fix it. it appears to have fixed it but the poi problem is still there, in UK maps anyway.

the hack i refer to is to fool tomtom into thinking the x50v is running a qvga screen and hence not locking up.

cheers
Lancaster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexandreUVa wrote:
I have the Tomtom 5 USA + 5.1 upgrade on my x50v.
No problem so far even with the built in POI.
When you are speaking about VGA, are you speaking about the normal use of the x50v? or using a tweak to make it into real vga? Thanks

I'm speaking about the normal use of the X50v. I gave up on the "True VGA" hacks a while ago as they screw up a few things, and you have to keep resetting between applications.

Martin
rondha
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to confirm. My (legal) TTN5 was updated 5.1 only solving VGA problem. While the POI.DAT (UK) is still in big problem. So I use previous version poi.dat (I lost a lot of poi categories). I must confess that TomTom suck, a waste of money in poi.dat TTN5. They should mention about this in their advertisement for ttn5, otherwise they're in breach the Sale of Goods Act (SGA) 1979 in UK.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: