Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Bluetooth or jacket
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Bluetooth or jacket

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonyzero
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Bluetooth or jacket Reply with quote

Hello there, could anybody please tell me which is the best option to go for I have the ipaq 3970 and want to know whether to get the TomTom jacket receiver or the Bluetooth receiver obviously the Bluetooth is easier to use as it has no wires but is there any difference in performance between the Bluetooth receiver and the jacket receiver, also if I was to get the jacket receiver can I still plug a external aerial into it. ?

tony
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Bluetooth or jacket Reply with quote

Tony, TomTom don't have a jacket receiver. Do you mean the Emtac Sleeve or the TomTom mouse (Leadtek 9531) ?

It really depends on your preference, whether you want to use the system out of the car. In-car you're still going to have cables with a BT receiver because you need to power the Pocket PC, but you won't necessarily have any cables hanging from the dashboard.

You will get a better signal in-car generally by using a Bluetooth GPS or cabled mouse, the reason for this is you can position it anywhere on the dashboard giving maximum exposure to the sky, where a sleeve is restricted to where you can mount the iPAQ.

With the Emtac Sleeve you can plug in an external antenna if you require.
tonyzero
Occasional Visitor

Hello there Dave thank you for your reply, yes I only want to use the GPS in the car but also want to be able to transfer it from my car to another, is the Leadtek 9531 receiver the one that tomtom supply with their bundled box ? also would using a mouse receiver interfere with my morpheous road pilot antenna which is mounted on the roof of my car.

Tony
tonyzero
Occasional Visitor

Hello Dave me again, can I just clear something up if I was to buy a TomTom package i.e. software and receiver I'll get a little mouse receiver which I put on the dash and that has a little lead which plugs into my cigarette lighter and ipaq via a serial port and from that I can power my ipaq so the only additional equipment I will need will be an arm to hold my ipaq in is this correct, only I think I was getting confused with the review for the Leadtek 9531 as I could see the ipaq sitting in the arm with the sleeve on it.

Tony
Stevie
Regular Visitor

As I understand you'll get the software, gps mouse, holder and a car lead to power the mouse.

See TomTom page
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Hi Tony, the GPS Receiver you'll get is a newer version of the Leadtek 9531 which you can see here it's a silver square.

You'll get one accessory plug with a Y lead which will both power the receiver and charge the iPAQ at the same time.

The cable you will get will look like this below. This is the Accessory Plug with Y adapter (moulded) into the cable. The GPS Receiver will have a cable that comes out and plugs into the bottom (eg the square block in the center of the photo has two leads coming from the left, the GPS cable will plug into the right hand side of this block)

When we reviewed the Morpheous Road Pilot, when I had the antenna for this on the dashboard within a couple of feet from the GPS Receiver, it did seem to cause a feed back and knock out the Leadtek's I had on the dashboard (I have two), putting the Road Pilot antenna further away like on the roof should be okay, this is what I had to do in the end to get both working.

If you purchase the Hardware/Software bundle (around £300), then you will also get the windscreen mount as shown in the review. You may want to still purchase a different mount (most people do). The other thing you will need on top of a 3970 is an SD card (128mb or more) to store the maps on to.
tonyzero
Occasional Visitor

Cheers Dave thank you for your help I already have an 256mb sd card which I got from eBay it only cost me £48 including card reader.

Tony
biggie-big
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluetooth all the way
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations. By far the largest BUMP I have ever seen.

The previous answers were over 3 years old! You are right now, but probably not then.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: