Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Would you buy Mapopolis again?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Would you buy Mapopolis again?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goepf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did download a trial map for a part of switzerland - detail is ok.

There are no restaurants under POI?? is that only the trial maps?

Are there majorroad maps for EUR available?

Thanks for your feed-back!

Goepf
chris123
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There don't appear to be many POIs preset in Mapopolis, though it could be I am missing something myself. It does support addition of custom POIs though.

There are 'major roads' maps for the individual countries rather than for europe as a whole.

Cheers

Chris
PocketGPS speed camera database
cyberdude
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just been using it to drive around Orlando, Space coast, Palm Beach, fort Lauderdale and Miami and generally find it quite good. I do have a few issues with it though:
It doesnt allow you to route via a specific roads. I know there are road works along the I95 so wanted to use the Turnpike instead but it kept routing onto the I95.
Also, it doesn't tell you to do a U-turn but asks you to make two left turns. I found this confusing (coming from Europe), especially here as it seems pretty common to have to make a right turn onto a dual carriage way then do a U-turn just down the road.
In some instances I kust wanted to route to the centre of a town as I didn't have an address (just being a tourist) but couldn't find a way of doing this with Mapopolis.
It also doesn't have a night mode or at least it wasn't working on mine, so the sceen can be quite bright at night. In the settings you can choose the colour for night mode but I can't figure out how it activates.

Otherwise it's quite zippy.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- you can tap a road on the map and then say "route through"
- you can tap the center of the town on the map and say "route to"
- the color change for night mode is exactly as you describe. They have combined the switchover and the setting into one page. Alternatively you can assign a hardware button to do that.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
cyberdude
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
- you can tap a road on the map and then say "route through"
- you can tap the center of the town on the map and say "route to"
- the color change for night mode is exactly as you describe. They have combined the switchover and the setting into one page. Alternatively you can assign a hardware button to do that.

Thanks. I didn't realise that. It would have made a lot of my trip easier.
cyberdude
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I just tried the route through and it doesn't work properly.

I just routed from Orlando to Miami wanting to go the FL turnpike all the way. The route was caluclated to use the turnpike up until Palm Beach and then onto the I95 so I tapped on the Turnpike and said route through and all that happened was that it routed onto the I95 then back off onto the Turnpike. The route through also only does a segment of the highway at a time so at the next off ramp it goes back onto the I95. Perhaps it's just an anomoly for that route but it's the only real long drive I did.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do the route through at the beginning and end of the turnpike section you want to use.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
drgrafix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely!!! I'm saying that becuase I just bought a new Axim X51v and a GlobalSat SD-502 SDIO GPS. I bought TomTom5 thinking I'd like to be a GPS Geek and have a 3D setup. Guess what... a week now and I still haven't been able to get the TT5 to go or even recognize there's a GPS plugged into the slot!

Meanwhile, I installed Mapopolis v3.27 and my maps... and it worked on the first try. One minor glitch is that the lower menu bar gets blotty if you click on the Zoom buttons, but if you switch screens and come back, its fine. Never happened on my iPaq/Navman setup so it must've been a fuzzy DL of the Mapopolis program.

And after using this program for 2+ years, I still say it is not hard to learn or install. I haven't tried the newer version and couldn't see spending $99.00 to upgrade for almost the identical program, so thats why the TomTom.

BTW, I'm in Western New England and log about 500-1000 miles a week sometimes, and I can count the times I've missed the mark on my hands (another reason not to upgrade). I was thinking how cool TT would be with all the PIA stuff and 3D... but what a hassle on the install.

I would definitely recommend Mapaopolis for the 1st time user, if only because it's so easy to use and setup.

Doc
drwil
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the most current version of Mapopolis for N.America. I have to disagree with everybody who sides with Mapopolis. TomTom5 is much better. Tomtom's interface is much nicer. But the most important aspect is that route generation is much quicker with TomTom than Mapopolis. If mapopolis has to generate maps from the SD card for a cross country trip, it takes forever, at times i thought my PalmPilot halted. And if you take a wrong turn it takes the same amount of time to regenerate the route - rendering it useless if you have to wait 3mins for the route to generate while travelling 60mile/hr on the freeway. Whereas Tomtom does not have this issue even when running maps from the SD card. I just received the NavCard from Mapopolis which is programmed differently - it does a little better interms of time for the route generation. But since tomtom has a nicer interface with different voices it wins hands down.
Hope this helps all of you out there.
Cheers,
Wil 8)
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say latest version, do you mean 2.33 (for Palm) or 4.68 ( for Pocket PC/ Smartphone / WinCE) ?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
drwil
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Mapopolis Version Info. Reply with quote

Yes I have Version 2.33 for PalmOS 5. But also have the NavCard - the NavCard is slightly different than the 2.33 it does not allow for 3-D viewing. I don't really think the version makes a difference. The main thing is that it takes too long to generate a longdistance route. That is why - I love the TomTom Navigator 5. I have been using it now for my palm and have abandoned Mapopolis. Will probably ride of my mapopolis NavCard on Ebay soon.
Laughing
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that you have a Palm PDA.

On Pocket PCs and Smartphones the new version 4.70 is going very strong, with loads of new features and general improvements. The only real problem I see are the outdated Europe maps.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: