Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HOW TO:Install TT3/5 to SD card to free up main memory
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HOW TO:Install TT3/5 to SD card to free up main memory

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
electricdemon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: HOW TO:Install TT3/5 to SD card to free up main memory Reply with quote

This is a trick I always use when installing TomTom 5 (and previously TT3) into an SD Card.

Why? Well, I like to keep as little as possible in the main memory, my old iPAQ 2210 didnt really have much free RAM to dabble with installing apps to main memory.

This may, or may not be much of an issue now, with my new Pocket Loox 720, but I still prefer to install as many apps/games as I can on my storage cards.

Note: take backup of everything first as 9/10 times
people lose the .cab files due to windows mobile deleting the .cab after install.

I cannot be held responsible for damage or loss of data on your PDA, I am just sharing my method of installing TTNavigator as I think it could prove quite useful to PDA users

Right, you will need to get an application called CabInstl, http://www.s-k-tools.com/fp/viewtopic.php?t=44&sid=75bd81266e9b74defdd2bd2a1fe06ab2

1.> Copy the .exe to a safe place on your memory card (or main memory - wherever you want).

2.> Tap ‘cabinstl.exe’ to run it

3.> I'd strongly recommend choosing to associate cab files with the application, as it makes the process so much easier in the future when installing other .cab files.

4.> Check 'Do not delete CAB file'

5.> Close the app, and then navigate to your 2577 folder on the SD card, in there you will see various .cab files

You can install the apps by tapping the cab files, I'd strongly suggest tapping 'GPS.cab' first, this is the GPS driver.

When CABInstl opens, you can choose where to install to by tapping the 'PATH' button. Choose a suitable place to install to.

I install all the TT files to SD Card\Installed\<CAB NAME>

(replace cab name with the name of the cab file i.e. for the GPS.cab I install to \SD Card\Installed\GPS\

It doesn’t matter if files get placed in \Windows or any other, these are required to be in those directories.

When you've done this for all the cab files, you can now run tomtom from the memory card. BUT WAIT!! (read below first)

Be careful though, if you eject and re-insert the card, TomTom will auto-install again to the main memory. To prevent this, go into the \2577 folder in the SD card, and rename autorun.exe to autorun.old or something.

When reinstalling after a system hard-reset, you can either delete the \SD Card\Installed folder, or keep the files there. I have tried a reinstall with and without the files there and it has not made any difference.
Bobrover
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:29 am    Post subject: HOW TO:Install TT3/5 to SD card to free up main memory Reply with quote

Great post. Certainly helped freeing up the main memory.

I still get a lag though between some screen presses. Would a faster SD card improve this annoyance ? I have a 300 Mhz Axim X3 with 32 Meg of Ram,32 Meg of Rom and a 256 SD card.When TT5 is running i have 9 Meg of program memory free.

TT5 just isn't as smooth as TT3 although when all though bugs are ironed out it will be a great app.
electricdemon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's debateable whether it would improve performance. Sure, a faster SD card might help, but also freeing as much RAM as you can would improve performance, along with processor speed etc.

I wouldn't worry too much about the free RAM after TomTom 5 has launched, since TomTom has to use RAM to run, just like any application. Instead I'd be more worried about the free RAM after a soft reset, before launching any apps.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: