Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ICN 610 question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ICN 610 question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rayl48
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: ICN 610 question Reply with quote

My first post and hi to everyone, I am considering the purchase of a Navman ICN610
Could you please advise if it is possible to select a destination point from the maps within the ICN610 i.e. Can I scroll through and magnify the maps, pick a point on the road as a destination and use the sat nave to find a route to this point from my present location.

Ray
Quinny1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ray.

As an owner of said product,to get your destination,it's as easy to know the full address you are going to,before you set off,and enter it into the address option screen.That way,the unit will calculate your route for you.I don't think what you want to achieve,the 610 will do it.

Don't forget to alter the type of road as your preference, (More motorways/more urban roads/quickest route/shortest route etc.) in order to get the optimum use of the unit.

As for finding a point on the screen.Well,you would have to be pretty damn acurate in your eye view calculation,to know exactly where you wanted to be,and by selecting the town from the address screen,it would,in my opinion,be very long winded to be able to do what you want to do, (Pick a specific point.) but in that case,it would be easier to buy an atlas.

Last week,I loaned my system to a work colleague to get to a hotel in London from Leeds,by just using the post code.When he came back,I asked him how it went,and even by just entering the post code,he was gobsmacked,as it got him to within something like 100yds of the hotel.

Ken.
rayl48
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ken. Thanks for the reply. Pretty much as I thought, I have a pal with the 510, which I know is a different beast, and he can easily achieve what I suggested. I have seen the 610 advertised as a business tool and I think this pretty much sums it up, good at what it does but maybe not as flexible as the 510. What I was thinking of was more a location without an address; say a viewpoint or point of interest in the countryside.

Ray
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you want to do can be done on the 610. From what I can gather it is similar to how the 510 works. The only thing is that the point must be near a road, as the iCN cannot navigate you off road.
Andycambs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: ICN 610 question Reply with quote

rayl48 wrote:
My first post and hi to everyone, I am considering the purchase of a Navman ICN610
Could you please advise if it is possible to select a destination point from the maps within the ICN610 i.e. Can I scroll through and magnify the maps, pick a point on the road as a destination and use the sat nave to find a route to this point from my present location.

Ray

Hi Ray - I have a NAVMAN ICN 610 - and I have used this method to navigate to my chosen destination. (The destination in question was a new road, not yet shown on the atlas). I entered the Postcode to get as close on the maps as possible. Click on ok, and you then have the option to Navigate to this destination. Once the point is selected, you can also add it to your favourites.
I used this method a second time when I knew the location was just down the road from the address I had. I would also say that the navigator took me to within 3 yards of the entrance to the car park.
Having said that - there is nothing to stop you zooming in directly from the map, although it might take some time and practice to find where you want!
rayl48
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robert and Andy, thanks for the replies, this looks more promising,

Robert, I realise that this unit is for road navigation and not for overland use, thanks.
Andy how do you actually select a point on a map with the 610. Do you have cross hairs on the screen or do you centre the point on the screen? I think the 610 is different from the 510, as the 510 has a touch sensitive screen so you can just select the chosen point with a stylus.

Ray
Andycambs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rayl48 wrote:
Hi Robert and Andy, thanks for the replies, this looks more promising,

Robert, I realise that this unit is for road navigation and not for overland use, thanks.
Andy how do you actually select a point on a map with the 610. Do you have cross hairs on the screen or do you centre the point on the screen? I think the 610 is different from the 510, as the 510 has a touch sensitive screen so you can just select the chosen point with a stylus.

Ray

Cross-hairs is correct. It can be a little fiddly on the maps to be honest, and that's why I tend to get as close as possible to the area by Psot Code, or other Point of Interest.
You click on OK and get the cross hairs - then press OK again to get the pop-up menu. The first option is NAVIGATE TO, and the second SET AS START LOCATION. You would use this when in demonstration mode.
One thing incidentally, the ICN 610 doesn't have the option to AVOID AN AREA, which is on the 635 and 650 only. That would have been useful to have if there was an area (like the M25) you particularly wanted to avoid when the itinerary was planned. Having said that - I simply driven off the stated route and let the system recalculate my route.

If you have a car with a heated front windscreen (and if not as well I guess) you can pick up an external aerial fairly reasonably from EBay. I did and the reception was fantastic - at one point I had eight satellites with good reception.

The other option worth considering I thought was the mains adaptor, which means you can add the route in the warmth of the house, then when you get into the car it's ready to go when you switch on.

I must say - I've been pleased with the results of the Navman. I wasn't sure of the value of the gadget, but it's been well worth while in finding places and saving hassle and journey time.
rayl48
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Andy. I notice this unit is discontinued at Halfords, maybe everyone wants the '3D' maping.

Ray
Andycambs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rayl48 wrote:
Thanks for the info Andy. I notice this unit is discontinued at Halfords, maybe everyone wants the '3D' maping.

Ray

Hmm - the 510 is now less than the price I paid for the 610....
fast-eddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 610 is on offer at cost-co £200 Laughing
chas921
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: ray Reply with quote

Hi ray..how you doing

Select MAP then use the +/- to set a scale........use the curser to move the map...then +/- again to zoom in..........press the `OK` to display the cursor....select your mark.press `OK` again to `Navigate to` and then your away.....works well, although my destination (home?)always appears as a verbal warning ` destination right` whereas its `left` when outside my door.who cares.....its bloody brilliant.

You mention 3D mapping..are you watching the road ahead or the Map???? It would be great for passengers maybe, but can they operate the set!! You really can rely on the verbal instructions to continue your journey and maybe just glance at the map now and then.
We cant hold a mobile these Days, or read a Map whilst driving, so should we be studying the GPS Map with intent. Go out and play with it a while to get used to its function and logic. I have a round-about near me, that tells me to take the 3rd exit.........any `normal` round-about is 1st left/ 2nd Ahead/ 3rd Right / 4th `U` turn or 180 degrees, however this round-about has an old road, more like a path adjacent to the main road, so the 3rd exit for me is straight ahead. a cursory glance at the map dictates also. The 610 is my first road map satnav, and I highly rate it, not being able to compare with others.
Have fun with whatever you buy and enjoy it................also the 610 has speed limits that you can set......and will warn you when breeched, can also set distance ahead for GATSO sites if you correctly install the .csv and .bmp files

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: