Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Noob Q- Routing via a Motorway
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Noob Q- Routing via a Motorway

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Noob Q- Routing via a Motorway Reply with quote

I did a search but could find the answer.

I have to travel from East London to Milton Keynes and the Go routes me via the a roads through London. I rather go M11 to the M25 then join the M1. I tried selecting 'via' from the routing menus but cannot enter say, the M1 say. Is there anyway of doing this (routing via a road number)?
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Noob Q- Routing via a Motorway Reply with quote

ak wrote:
I did a search but could find the answer.

I have to travel from East London to Milton Keynes and the Go routes me via the a roads through London. I rather go M11 to the M25 then join the M1. I tried selecting 'via' from the routing menus but cannot enter say, the M1 say. Is there anyway of doing this (routing via a road number)?

I don't think you can enter road junctions Sad - however I have a similar problem, which I solved by creating a favourite via position on map (in this case you might need two - one north and one south on M11) then after planing route you can then select alternative route - and select navigate via picking the appropriate favourite - seems longer typing than doing
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could just start driving to the M25. The GO will recalculate the route from your new position. At some point it will agree with you!!

There are some motorway junction PoIs here http://www.dirksoft.co.uk/tom_tom_go.htm

Download the "PoI compendium" and put the MWays.ov2 and matching .bmp file in your GB map folder. Then use as a "via" or use several in an itinerary.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or get Mway.ov2 from http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/oldboy/TomTomPOI/MWay.zip . It saves downloading a lot of files.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
ak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - The MWay POI sounds like it should work. I understand the bit about driving down until the GO agrees. But typical M25, I may encounter a sudden jam and somtimes use the 'avoid roadblock' feature. If I use this before the TomTom agrees with my route, I might end up having some strange route calculated taking me where I don't really want to !
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You CAN navigate by Motorway Junction numbers.... but you need to know which town TomTom reckons they are in first Confused
I tried making my own POI for the few I use regularly, but came badly unstuck because I'd put the cursor right in the middle of each junction. This sometimes made the TT go by an amazing convoluted route in order to visit all parts of the cloverleaf!
I've now downloaded the set from dirksoft, and although I've not used it much, it seems to work fine. (It gets round the problem I had, by splitting each junction up into (for example) a northbound and southbound POI in the list.
TM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I would use the itinery facility for this. Set waypoints where you want to join and leave the moterway of your choice and your required destination as the last entry. The route will then be calculated to pass through all the waypoints.

Should take care of road blocks along the way as it will always route you back onto the motorway to make sure you pass through the waypoint where you want to leave the motorway.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: