Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New to Tom Tom, need help with some questions please.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New to Tom Tom, need help with some questions please.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ciderbloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: New to Tom Tom, need help with some questions please. Reply with quote

Hi.

Bought my TT GO 500 this week and am a little unclear on a few things. Can anyone help me please? I found the Tom Tom website to be difficult to navigate and not very friendly when searching for what I think should be basic information. Sad

How and when I will need to update my maps? I assume that TomTom will issue a new SD card periodically but how will I know and how can I tell what map version I am currently running? Will I need a whole new card or will I download an update from the website? What's the cost?

How do I contact Tom Tom? Where do i go if I need to get the unit repaired?

I've read some frightening tales about faulty car leads delivering 12 plus volts instead of 5 and blowing the TT up. Is this just the older models? I have the clear 2 amp fuse in my lead. Should I call Tom Tom for a replacement? Will they issue a recall?

Sorry to bombard you all with so many questions, this is really day one of my life with a sat nav and any help you can give me with these questions will be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Tom Tom, need help with some questions please. Reply with quote

ciderbloke wrote:
Bought my TT GO 500 this week and am a little unclear on a few things. Can anyone help me please? I found the Tom Tom website to be difficult to navigate and not very friendly when searching for what I think should be basic information. Sad

You too. Shocked

ciderbloke wrote:
How and when I will need to update my maps? I assume that TomTom will issue a new SD card periodically but how will I know and how can I tell what map version I am currently running? Will I need a whole new card or will I download an update from the website? What's the cost?

TT yearly, usually, issues map upgrades. The Forums usually know first when there is an upgrade. They don't do maps downloads. Their newsletter service is virtually non-existent.

ciderbloke wrote:
How do I contact Tom Tom? Where do i go if I need to get the unit repaired?

Their email contact is http://www.tomtom.com/support/rightnow.php?Page=ask.php&Login=1&ID=5

ciderbloke wrote:
I've read some frightening tales about faulty car leads delivering 12 plus volts instead of 5 and blowing the TT up. Is this just the older models? I have the clear 2 amp fuse in my lead. Should I call Tom Tom for a replacement? Will they issue a recall?

I believe with the clear 2A fuse you are OK.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
ciderbloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the info.

So the yearly updates are a new SD card? What kind of price are they ballpark figure?

Sorry for all the questions. Little embarrasing but I'd have really hoped this kind of basic stuff would be covered by TT themselves but their website seems dedicated to selling me a John Cleese voice instead.

Great forum by the way, good to know there's a community for my new toy :D :D

Cheers
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "upgrade" link on the TomTom site will give you an idea of the cost of the new upgrade this year. But don't buy - you have these already!!
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: