Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CAUTION !!!!!!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CAUTION !!!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always make a point of removing the mount.

It's a dead giveaway there may be something in the car - it would be interesting to know how many people have been broken into just to see if the GO has been left in the car.
biggy7
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to learn about the theft mate, these theifs need to be shot!

one thing about the police saying that they are the latest item to be stolen, i reckon half of that total are people making up that they had TomTom in their car for insurance claims, as its small expensive so an easy item that can be "added" to their list of what got stolen.

when i got my TTG i got a bag like this:

its small, padded and ideal for tomtom, fits perfectly, and take it out of my car when i dont use it. (even the bracket)

i do agree with the above though, i do see plenty of cars with their TTg, in perfect view for theifs in the middle of the dash/windscreen.

if you must leave it in the car, go for one of them pacsafe devices above.
Fibre
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

under what insurance do you claim for the TOMTOM...

when my son had his portable CD player stolen from the car -- the car insurance said it was not their problem it was a Household goods -- and we had to claim of the House insurance??

The same when my wife had her laptop stolen from the locked boot of the car...
fatmanscoop
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it helps i'm insured with norwich union and fully comp. They told me i could claim under radio equipment and they pay up to £500 for stolen items all i have done is sent proof of purchase and they do the rest.

.As far as leaving on view well i have learnt a very expensive lesson and my new one will be what it says on the box "PORTABLE" as it will follow me like a lap dog thats for sure.

i was speaking to a guy outside my kids scholl yesterday who's ttg was on full view in the middle of the windscreen, he as now repostioned it and takes it everywhere...
HOG
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly I got one of the security bags listed above and used it today ands am well pleased with it. I locks to the underneath of the drivers seat in my Jeep Cherokee. I can put the TTG and other items if needed whilst still sitting at the wheel.

I like the idea of placing the TTG in a different place when in use but can't really see where it would fit.

Also I only use it when I am off sightseeing or going on a long journey. I never use it for day to day use driving around locally so I think I am safe enough.

I hope! Question
Stanley_Tweedle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOG wrote:

I like the idea of placing the TTG in a different place when in use but can't really see where it would fit.

At the moment I'm putting on the exreme right of the windscreen I don't think it's as obvious there. I experimented today with velcro trying to hide it lower down but it's such an awkward shape I couldn't find anywhere suitable; it doesn't help that I have to keep the shoe mount on to use the external antenna.
HOG
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have it to the extreme right to as at this position it is in easy vision just to the right of the steering wheel.

I hope also being higher and the right hand windscreen column will make it less obvious to outsiders.
fatmanscoop
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just read a piece in my local paper Nottingham evening post that states that around 4 tt are stolen a day in nottingham ,,,,now thats scary..intrested to see what figures other large city's have
Cambo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: TTG security Reply with quote

I have the problem that my TTG mount is hard wired, I always take the unit with me when leaving the car but it's the damage these low lifes do to the car when trying to steal anything. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
fatmanscoop
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'M BACK in the land of ttg got my new go 300 this time it will follow me like a lap dog ....
JohnGray
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Remove all visible traces of SatNav equipment Reply with quote

An article from today's Sunday Times Drive section more or less repeats what has been said in previous posts...

John
Bob_W
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I do leave my GO 300 in full view when I leave my car, however, having read about GPS units being stolen I have since been putting my GO 300 in the glove box, but the mount is still in full view, so as someone has pointed out leaving the mount in view tells a thief there is SAT NAV installed in the car.

When chatting to my wife telling her about SAT NAV units being stolen, she said why not just remove the SD Card?

Now I think you must all agree this is a very good idea, why no one has thought of this before I don't know! Now we all know the GO 300 etc is no use without its SD Card, a thief will not have the product/activation code, if they contact TomTom asking for this information to activate your stolen GO then as long as you have it registered with them they will not be able to do this. If you have informed TomTom your unit has been stolen TomTom should be able to give any information the thief has given them to the police.

So what do you all think about removing the SD Card to render your TomTom not usable?

Bob.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, its a bit of a pyric victory knowing it won't work for them, when they've nicked it anyway Crying or Very sad .
Same goes for the idea of putting your owner details on the splash screen. I doubt that it will make the scumbags have second thoughts and bring it back to you Evil or Very Mad.
fatmanscoop
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob-w wrote
Quote:
I do leave my GO 300 in full view when I leave my car, however, having read about GPS units being stolen I have since been putting my GO 300 in the glove box

...I had my ttg in my boot under a carpet when it was stolen. these gangs are targeting cars and know were to look. I really wouldn't leave it in your car, they WILL steal it if you do.

Even if you remove the sd card there are plenty of crooks out there who will supply dodgy cards to the thiefs.. :o
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On one of the forums someone posted a picture of a sort of bag thing that you could lock valuables into, but I can't find it now.
Can anyone remember?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: