Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ttg 300 ttg 500
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ttg 300 ttg 500

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
detective
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: ttg 300 ttg 500 Reply with quote

I'm new to all this - I need a decent satnav that I can put into different cars and use in london - I'll be driving a few different cars. I'm lloking at the TTG 300 or 500. Can I just unplug from one car and plug into another and will it work straight away? Do I need an external aerial? How straight forward will it be to swap between cars? Thanks.
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The unit sticks to the windscreen with a sucker. It comes out easily. I take mine with me every time I leave the car. Changing from car to car is, therefore, very simple.

If you get a 300 you don't get a mains charger in the box. The 500 has one. The charged battery lasts about 5 hours, so I rarely use the car charger as I charge up at home each night. So normally no wires or anything to remove, just unstick from windscreen.

There is the option to buy a second windscreen bracket for a second car (or even a permanent mounting kit!), but in the areas I have to park, the bracket on view would be an invitation to break in, so I take it with me. The GO come off the bracket in a second -one button push and it's free. Removing the bracket takes 5 secs longer!

External aerial is cumbersome (7 metres of cable!!) and only really necessary if you have a car with a heat reflecting windscreen, or frequently travel in areas with high buildings like central London, but even then it's just about OK without an aerial.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
smallfreak
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: ttg 300 ttg 500 Reply with quote

detective wrote:
I'm new to all this - I need a decent satnav that I can put into different cars and use in london - I'll be driving a few different cars. I'm lloking at the TTG 300 or 500. Can I just unplug from one car and plug into another and will it work straight away? Do I need an external aerial? How straight forward will it be to swap between cars? Thanks.

If you stay on the isle, you have no need for the "Major Roads of Europe" in the GO 500. Moving the GO from one car to another is a few seconds work - to remove the sucker arm from the windshield.

Whether you need an external antenna, which could make swapping the GO a bit more difficult, depends on whether one of the cars has an "athermic" coated windshield. These do filter the GPS signals pretty much and getting a reciption will become harder, especially if you drive into the center of London and you are surrounded by big buildings that cover great parts of the sky.
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snap!! :D
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
detective
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for everyone's help. Sorry if it's a stupid question, but once I've bought it - how do I update the maps, new roads estates etc. Does the 500 show speed camera locations or do I need to buy something extra?
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maps are not up to date. They update them annually, but lag behind a bit, at a cost of approx £50. Nothing else you can do.

Speed cameras are extras. Don't pay!! Get the free ones from this site - link via UK Safety Cameras in the left hand column.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: