Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Changing from CF to SD
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Changing from CF to SD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boggie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Changing from CF to SD Reply with quote

Hi All,
I have an iPAQ 2210 with TomTom3. The maps etc are stored on a 256MB CF card but I want to use this for a camera and put a 512MB SD card in the PDA instead. I have 2 questions:

1. Can I simply copy the contents of the CF card onto the new SD card using my Laptop, plug it in to the PDA. Will TomTom work ok or will I need to reinstall?

2. I have just ordered the TT5 upgrade from their site so I may need to reinstall anyway. Will this be a problem if TT3 is unhappy with the change of memory card media or is the upgrade a complete new install so it will just find the SD and install OK?

Thanks, Boggie
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) this will work just fine. If TomTom doesn't find the map it will search all drives again. Worst case you have to delete the cfg file and enter all personal settings again.

2) it's a complete new install, and it will use other maps anyhow.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Changing from CF to SD Reply with quote

boggie wrote:
Hi All,
I have an iPAQ 2210 with TomTom3. The maps etc are stored on a 256MB CF card but I want to use this for a camera and put a 512MB SD card in the PDA instead. I have 2 questions:

Don't. Buy a new CF card for your camera.. it's not like they are very expensive. And carry on using the CF for TomTom.

I say this because I used to use SD in my 2210 and TomTom was horrendously unstable, I switched to CF and I haven't had a problem since.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Boggie
I agree with MarkHewit, Since changing from a SD Card to a CF card I have never once had any problems with my GPS and iPAQ 2210. But boy, I had plenty when I used the SD card.
JDavid
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: What type of CF Reply with quote

Any recommendations as to type/make of CF card to use? My PDA is an HX4700.
CJackel492
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an iPaq 4150 and I use MMC cards,

I've never had a problem with these cards, I'll never use SD!

Carl,
boggie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks All,

I am suprised there is so much trouble with SD cards. Are you using cards from known manufacturers? I had some trouble with a cheap CF card but when I changed it for a Crucial Tech card all was ok.

I need to increase memory capacity but I wanted to use an SD because to fit a CF in a 2210 you have to permanently remove a piece of the case. It would look better with the case complete but if you guys are having so much trouble with quality cards then I may give it a miss. Crying or Very sad

Cheers, Boggie
boggie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also - This SD issue could be a big problem for TomTom as IIRC when you buy TT5 (full version, not the upgrade) the program and maps com pre-installed on an SD Card. If iPAQ users have difficulty with SD cards then TomTom 5 will not work with their hardware!
dunos
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SD Cards vary in quality and speed quite alot. Check out my speed tests below:

[url]http//www.durrans.com/cardspeed/[/url]

If you have a slow SD card it will be harder for TomTom to read the required data.
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've read it seems like a specific problem relating to the 2210 and SD cards, either their drivers are not written properly, or something.

I don't mind removing part of the case, my iPaq is there to use, not to look pretty :p
gsutherby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using a Lexar 1Gb SD Card for a couple of months in my Axim X50V and this card has given me no problems.
A number of problems with TTN5 but the is another story.
The fix of removing the vga facility has improved things tremendously making TTN5 at least usable

George
Aktronix BT receiver
8 gb SD card
1 gb CF card
boggie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the risk and bought a 512MB SD card but got a good make (Crutial Technology). I installed TT5 without issue and have been using it every day since without a single problem. After searching various forums I suspect you guys had problems because of cheaper SD cards. I had issues with a cheap CF card and TT3 but when I bought a decent one these went away.
Hope that helps.
Steve999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Hewitt is largely correct when he says that the SD problem with TT3 was a 2210 one. I went through the mill completely on that issue. There is nothing more irritating than a navigation system that doesn't work.

It was not simply a case of buying a quality SD card to 'solve' it. I even had problems with my Panasonic SD card when using TT3 and a BT receiver.

I have used CF cards for my maps on the 2210 for many thousands of miles in the last year without fault and I would recommend any TT/2210 user with a bluetooth receiver to use CF and not even consider SD.

This issue was debated ad-infinitum in these forums a year or so ago and there was a heavy school of thought that the SD interface in the 2210 is at fault and cannot handle rapid data reading from the card. A poor quality card merely makes the situation worse. CF cards were believed to perform better in the 2210 as they contain their own controller.

Some fortunate people will undoubtedly argue that they have no problems with SD on the 2210 but the fact remains that large numbers do. Choosing CF eliminates the gamble.

Steve
Nissan Connect
boggie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is as may be but from my own personal experience I had problems using CF cards where the 2210 could not see the card. So far the SD card has been faultless, although it has only been a week so far so it is rather premature for me to pass judgement. I have loaded the latest SD patches and drivers etc so maybe that has helped or perhaps I have just been lucky.
I will keep you posted.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: