Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - help gps freezing
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

help gps freezing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
king
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: help gps freezing Reply with quote

I'm running a ipaq 3870 (unfortunatly), emtac bluetooth gps and TTN 1.51. I've had all this running with a few minor glitches for about six months. recently had a dead battery and reinstalled everything. Bluetooth is bonded and tomtom is running but go off in the car and after a shortwhile the gps freezes. This happens with a 7 or 8 sat fix and all of a sudden location speed etc all grind to a halt and the connection bar on the gps status screen also stops moving. The weird thing is I can leave it on the windowsill connected for hours and nothing goes wrong but in the car it just dies. Any ideas out there as its starting to get annoying. By the way TT programs and maps are installed on the SD card, can't think that this would be a problem but thought I'd mention it.

Cheers guys
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: help gps freezing Reply with quote

I had a similar problem recently which was down to the storage card. Whether this is the same problem I'm not sure. But I found that the Storage Card had some lost clusters and was heavily fragmented. I could leave it working fine if I was stationary, but start driving for a few minutes and it would lock up, defragging with Storage Tools if it's the same problem may rectify it. Providing yo haven't applied any ROM updates then there shouldn't be much that would affect it.

You can easily tell if this is the problem by only running the GPS driver and driving in car and see if it locks up with this running as this once running in memory shouldn't require to access the storage cards.
king
Occasional Visitor

this may be a daft question, but how do I defrag my storage card!

Cheers dave
Dave
Frequent Visitor

You can use Storage Tools or if you have a storage card reader for the PC, you can do it by putting the storage card into your reader on the PC and defragging this way.
king
Occasional Visitor

Ah, haven't got a card reader at the min. Took your advice though and took the emtac out in the car with just the gps running from the main memory. It hung up a couple of times this moring but I've just driven 70 odd miles and it worked perfectly. Any ideas, Its a little baffling. Do you think the emtac might be at fault or the bluetooth on the 3870. It would seem to me that as it can stay on perfectly well at home the bluetooth is alright.
Fuego
Regular Visitor

Just to try and consolidate threads:

help gps freezing

GPS stops responding to Navigator 2

BT GPS Reconnect to PDA’s
JustinP
Occasional Visitor

Hi

I have just found this thread, I am also so pleased I am not the only one experiencing this problem.

I have the same the problem, although I think I only have this problem when it is really sunny. I have done a hardware reset and it did not help. Running only the GPS app and not tomtom 2 still caused it to lock up.

Could it be the IRDA port be causing the bluetooth to lock up. I have unchecked the receive incoming beams, which should disable the irda port (is there anything else I should do to disable it). I have heard that the sun can cause the irda port to go mad on a different site/thread once before.

It is definitely Bluetooth that locks up on my 3870, as I cant connect to the emtac with zterm either once it has locked.

I will confirm if this does fix the problem once I have tried it a few times in the sun.

Has anybody had lockups at night?

Cheers

JustinP

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: