Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTN5 Traffic updates do not occur
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTN5 Traffic updates do not occur

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mstockha
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: TTN5 Traffic updates do not occur Reply with quote

I have a support call open, status "research" with Tomtom re the inability of version 5 to perform regular updates.

It updates when I start the app, sometimes afterwards, but normally I get the annoying "pie" segments and have to manual update (not a good idea when it takes a few screen presses). Other times I get the Orange blob meaning there are updates available, annoying as h***, since if its checkup for updates, JUST DOWNLOAD THEM!

As far as I am concerned the traffic feature is next to useless now since I just want it to tick along in the background.

Anyone else see anything remotely similar, or is it just my bad luck.

Thanks

Mark

ipaq 3630, Pretec CF GPS, Ipaq 5550 Fortuna Slim GPS, TTNAV 5.10 w traffic , SPV C500
dionysus1975
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same, but I think TT only downloads, when there are updates. When it's rush hour, on my tomtom it updates then evry 2 minutes, but outside rush-hours e.g. 2200 hours, i'll get the pie segments.
Have you ever break up the connection, then you'll see that tt is connected, because of the error screen that tt cannot connect to traffic.
paulbo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this was just me! I was in Belgium[1] last week, so I changed the frequency of the updates to 10 minutes, expecting it to, erm, update every 10 minutes, and thus, no grey bits of the pie. But yep - same thing: I kept seeing a wedge appearing, indicating that it hadn't updated in 15 minutes. Manually updating worked every time[2] that I tried it, so it clearly wasn't a network/coverage issue.

As an aside, I'm using an Orange Pay-as-you-go SIM, and unless GPRS is really cheap when roaming, I don't think I've been charged for it. I'll try and remember to check my balance before I go, and after every trip when I'm out there again this week.

[1] From France to Holland via the Westershelder tunnel
[2] Some of the networks I roamed onto didn't support GPRS, but I didn't do much in the way of troubleshooting which ones.
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With V5 they appear to have changed the Traffic function, initially I received the orange icon but now its not so regular.

Trafffic now only downloads the location and incident type, no detail is download and the reason why the update seems so quick. If you then browse the traffic map and click on an inccident TT then retreives the details relaing to that one incident.

Also in the to left corner the number of incidents download is displayed.
paulbo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought, but do you suppose that the 'orange/yellow' traffic icon only appears under the following scenario:

You have deviated from the planned route AND that TTN hasn't yet reached it's x minute update cycle.

You see, I'm wondering if it goes orange/yellow when you deviate from the pre-planned route. Could it be that even hough TTN hasn't reach it's update cycle, that it knows it hasn't got the latest information on your NEW route, because it's only got information for your OLD route?

Just an idea...
mstockha
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Nice idea Reply with quote

but its happening on route most of the time, still puzzled!

ipaq 3630, Pretec CF GPS, Ipaq 5550 Fortuna Slim GPS, TTNAV 5.10 w traffic , SPV C500

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: