Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Rip off Britain?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Rip off Britain?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lenin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:47 am    Post subject: Rip off Britain? Reply with quote

Jut bought a Tomtom Go 700 in Switzerland (I live in Geneva) for CHF 1100 which is £480. This is even less than the Maplin with-voucher price in the UK (and it seems that Maplin do not seem to have stock yet), and the price is likely to continue dropping here. http://en.toppreise.ch/prod_59849.html

The price difference is partly to do with the 17.5% VAT rate in the UK (7.6% in Swizerland which is supposed to be an expensive country!) but if Maplin can offer the unit at £500, how come most other retailers sell it at £550 which is quite a mark-up?
flylikeahandbag
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a TTG 500 on order from Maplin £439.99 (with voucher for £30 off) and was fed up of waiting (seems like they have a major issue with a 3rd party supplier letting them down on delivery dates). Anyway I popped into my local Curry's on spec to see if they had a 500 in stock which they did, so my next question to the sales person was would they price match. He said they would match any high street retailer, so I said what about Maplin. He thought for a second and asked we what price was, then said OK if you want it now you can have it for £439 (He never asked for proof. Wish I had said it was cheaper now Wink ).

Now have a 500, and have downloaded the cam data and spoken alerts. If I could only get my SE K700i to work hands free then it be even better.

Might work for some of you still waiting for 300/500 and 700.

Rgds

Paul

P.S. I did have proof off the maplin deal with me just in case.
howie555
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the cheapest place to purchase tomtom in the uk is dixons at any airport
i bought the 700 for £468.00 :D
Lenin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you do have to then break the law by not declaring it to customs when you bring it into the UK - a risk you might be prepared to take.
howie555
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are not breaking the law as it is not dutyfree :D :D :D
FazerBoy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my TT300 at Dixons, Stanstead. They didnt have any in stock but were able to locate one at their Heathrow branch. They delivered it to my home address for £7 I think it was.
It saved and bypassed the customs issue and also meant I didnt have to take it on holiday with me.
I asked if there was a limit to the number I could purchase, they said no.
Someone must be on a duty free scam!!
Steve
Lenin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is interesting, £468 is exactly £550 less VAT. So either Dixons are absorbing the duty free at their airport outlets or there is a tax scam going on. Anyway, my point was that most UK retailers are selling the TT700 at £550 which is pretty outrageous, taking advantage of the UK prosperous society where many are prepared to pay over the odds.
jheward
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flylikeahandbag - Thanks for your information.

I also had an order for a TomTom Go 500 with maplins for £439 after a voucher discount. However, was getting a bit annoyed with the wait.

Went into my Currys this morning and they also matched the £439 price for me. The salesman tried checking the price at Maplins but he wasn't really bothered. I even told him that maplins didn't have any stock and he didn't mind. I have just cancelled my order with maplins and am about to go and have a play with the 500! Thanks again for the tip.
lasitha
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

howie555 wrote:
the cheapest place to purchase tomtom in the uk is dixons at any airport
i bought the 700 for £468.00 :D

Thanks for the tip. Just ordered the 500 from Dixons, Gatwick for £400. I'll be collecting it on my way back from the hols in 2 weeks time.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: