Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Camera Database - changing directional sensitivity?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Camera Database - changing directional sensitivity?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imacken wrote:
Mike,
Are you saying that the 'on route' option will work on dual carriageways, but not on other roads?

Yes as TomTom regards them as 2 seperate roads and can only get to the other side of the road by doing a U turn so the POI is not on route.
imacken wrote:

The case I mentioned earlier is on a 3 lane 2-way single carriageway.
Why is this sort of thing not a problem for my Road Angel?
Thanks
Iain

RoadAngel is completely different. It may be that the data in the Road Angel has been created with directional information as well as positional data. That way the device will know which way the camera faces rather than what side of the road it is on. Road Angel doesnt actually know about roads just positions.

The POI database that we have created for TomTom and other applications only contains positional information and not directional data. Most navigation applications do not support direction or other attributes, therefore they will be very unlikely to support this feature, and certainly not with our databaase.
paul-pearson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imacken.. Hi , by the way i'm new here but i have been using my tomtom go 300 with the PGPSW cam database for some time now and i think for a free product its excellent, You keep on banging on about your road angel, which begs the question why the hell do you need the cam database at all then ?
maybee the answer is simple :
Your sick of paying your road angel subscription fees.

I think perhaps your expecting a little too much from a free product and a navigation unit that was designed for the purpose of navigating.
imacken
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,
Don't know what's getting at you!
I'm not 'banging on' about Road Angel, I'm simply trying to understand the technology involved in the 2 units, i.e. why one works with directionality, and the other doesn't.
Also, I think if you read my original post, you'll see the words 'I'm not meaning to moan as it is a fantastic set of data to get free, but I only wondered'.
In addition, I don't pay any Road Angel subs. because I only just bought the unit. There goes another theory!
I think my point really is that - as has been discussed - it's the fact that the TTG apparently has the option to only alert on the side of the road being travelled on, but it doesn't seem to work.
Iain
HOG
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-pearson wrote:
imacken.. Hi , by the way i'm new here but i have been using my tomtom go 300 with the PGPSW cam database for some time now and i think for a free product its excellent, You keep on banging on about your road angel, which begs the question why the hell do you need the cam database at all then ?
maybee the answer is simple :
Your sick of paying your road angel subscription fees.

I think perhaps your expecting a little too much from a free product and a navigation unit that was designed for the purpose of navigating.

You took the words out of my mouth. I have been following this and have to say if Road Angel is so great then use that!

The camera database provided here is excellent, even more so as it is free!
HOG
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imacken wrote:

I think my point really is that - as has been discussed - it's the fact that the TTG apparently has the option to only alert on the side of the road being travelled on, but it doesn't seem to work.
Iain

It works ok for me?
imacken
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This kind of reaction makes me laugh - it only happens on the web!
People are so sensitive about a product they own, that any less-than-complimentary comment seems to throw them into a frenzy!
Let me put the facts right here:
1) I paid £545 for my TTG 700 and think it is a fantastic product
2) I paid around £300 for my RA and think that is also a great product
3) I fully intend to keep both as they fulfil different functions
4) I think the safety camera data from pgpsw is fantastic - especially for free, and I have not criticised it in any way.
5) I can only repeat, that I am merely interested in the reasons why Road Angel works with cameras and TTG doesn't when there is an option within TTG that supposedly does exactly what I am asking about. It's a technology question, no hidden agenda!
6) I have no shares in Blackspot and am certainly not saying that RA is a better product.
If you still want to shoot me after all that, then I've got a nice set of pistols!
Iain
HOG
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep your hair on sweetheart :D

From what I can see your original question has been answered in full in this thread!

Me in a frenzy? Not even close :D
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been said many times before, but will probably bear repeating.

The only sensible way to use camera warnings on TTG is not to tick the "Warn only on route" box.

This then means that:
* you get warnings even if no route is planned (which you would otherwise not get)
* you get cameras mounted on the central reservation of dual carriageways, which can face either way (which you might otherwise not get) - and turnable cameras on one side of single carriageways.

The downside is that you get all cameras within your specified range - including those on the opposite carriageway or opposite side of the road - or even those on side roads which are not on your route at all. But it is surely better to have the odd spurious warning rather than to miss cameras - and a quick look at the map will show you the camera position - enabling you to ignore the warning if it's not relevant. I admit that it can be a bit disconcerting when driving along a dual carriageway at 70mph to get a voice saying "Warning Mobile Camera - 30mph" - because it's picked up a camera location in a housing estate just off to the side - but you soon get used to it - hopfully before you've trodden on the middle pedal and caused a 10-car shunt! Smile

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: