Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - DO NOT BUY TOMTOM 5.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

DO NOT BUY TOMTOM 5.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uk89camaro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My UKpostcode still works with TT5, so I'll continue to use that in lieu of a proper address, although I have done the TT5 postcode fix.

I like having road names shown on the map.
I like having a "go via" option, although never will understand why it wasn't available on all previous options.

I didn't like the "not enough space on temp..." set up error.
I don't like the tiny road speed display.
I don't like not having the ability to permenantly avoid an area
I really, really, don't like not being able to edit road speed planning

To be honest if they fix the road speed planning, it's a definate plus over TT3, as it is the option of "go via" only just outshades the loss of the road speed option.

Other than that, it installed correctly first time, connect to my GPS first time, and actually connects to the GPS, and acquires a Sat lock with greater frequency than TT3.

However.....I have noticed a degredation in the number of Sats Locked unless I display the Rikaline on the dashboard. It consistently reduces from 6-7 on the dash, to 3-4 when above the sunvisor.
uk89camaro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

p.s. TT5

also killed my voicechoice......

Now will have to pay to download inferior voices from Tomtom.

I loved my Ozzy....T.t.t.t.t.t.t..turn fVcking right....
S_D
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, can I please ask what people mean when they say that there is no road names in map view?

I have TTN3 and a 4700 and was going to upgrade until a couple of days ago when I caught up on the VGA bug that's widely reported. I decided I can wait till a fix comes out before upgrading but not if the map view doesn't have road names?!? What sort of map is that!?

Simon.
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sorry, can I please ask what people mean when they say that there is no road names in map view?

I think you may have misinterpreted one of the posts.

Both TTN3 and TTN5 have road names in the map view.

TTN5 now also has road names in the 3D view whereas TTN3 doesn't.

So in this respect TTN5 is an improvement over TTN3.

Roger
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

linknet wrote:
The first three taken at random from Yellow Pages:

WV1 3JE Ring Road Saint Davids ---- Should be ---- Union Street.

ME5 7DX Wiltshire Close ---- Should be ---- Hopewell Drive.

PR7 1NY Southport Road --- Should be ---- Foxhole Road.

Check these yourself using TTN5 and then the Royal Mail website.

It certainly does not always come up with the correct road!!!

Roger

I agree that what you say is true, but if you check the map on the Royal Mail website it indicates the location of the address is nearer to the roads that TT5 'locks to'.

The maps that Royal Mail use are Multimap and they use TeleAtlas!

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I agree that what you say is true, but if you check the map on the Royal Mail website it indicates the location of the address is nearer to the roads that TT5 'locks to'.

I agree with you that the problem probably lies with inaccurate co-ordinates. But my point is that a system using co-ordinates to snap to the nearest road will always be prone to errors.

It looks like TTN5 is using something like the Royal Mail Postzon Data which appears to provide a system of co-ordinates in relation to postcodes. This, of course, is also far cheaper than the PAF database which is address based.

If you accept that the postcode facility is prone to error and use it as a guide to assist in finding a location then it is certainly better than nothing.

But if you need to find the exact address based on a postcode then TTN5 is not the application to use.

Roger
jimbo09990
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes me laugh is there are sooo many problems with this product, yet the review by this website (available from the first sticky in this topic) gave it 97.5%!!!!
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yada yada. We gave it that percentage then. We won't change our review now. Besides that, despite all it's flaws it still is the predominant and most advanced program on the market, if you (or I) like it or not.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="linknet"]
Quote:
But my point is that a system using co-ordinates to snap to the nearest road will always be prone to errors.
...... But if you need to find the exact address based on a postcode then TTN5 is not the application to use.

Roger

Another option is to report it as a Map Error to TomTom for them to adjust the co-ordinates to reflect the true location of the Postcode. This would allow them the option, if their licence allows, to edit the Postcode file accordingly.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Quote-Oldboy]
Quote:
Another option is to report it as a Map Error to TomTom for them to adjust the co-ordinates to reflect the true location of the Postcode. This would allow them the option, if their licence allows, to edit the Postcode file accordingly.

I think that would be a never ending task and, unfortunately, judging by the response of TomTom and other mapping companies that I have reported map errors to, a useless one.

I suggest two alternatives:

1. Use a subset of the Royal Mail PAF data with only postcode and road names. This would not be significantly larger than the current postcode and co-ordinates file, ie. road names substituted for co-ordinate data. But to be of any use, the map data would need to be up to date in order to locate the referenced road, so I'm afraid that completely rules it out.

2. If there is no alternative to a co-ordinate system then, after entering the postcode, present a list of the nearest roads, sorted nearest first, and allow the user to choose the correct road.

Roger
jimbo09990
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
yada yada. We gave it that percentage then. We won't change our review now.

I'm not saying you should change the score. These flaws that people are having now must have been present in the product that was tested.
Bazzer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's like Groundhog day, except with TomTom instead of CoPilot 5 Wink

Baz
Garmin Montana 650
Garmin Oregon 45oT
Garmin Edge 1000
Tracklogs Digital Mapping
DinAlt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
yada yada. We gave it that percentage then. We won't change our review now. Besides that, despite all it's flaws it still is the predominant and most advanced program on the market, if you (or I) like it or not.

I'm surprised at that response Ibendlin - it's obvious that TomTom5 is very badly flawed - some of the problems may not have been obvious in a review but some are instantly apparant. How could the following not be noticed :

1. Navigation to POI's simply doesn't work in many cases
2. TT5 hogs the PDA completely - it's almost impossible to tab out to other programs whilst using it
3. The GPS driver is massively flawed - to get it working many people have to load the TT3 driver first...
4. VGA mode is completely useless (I'll accept you may not have checked this)
5. No user customisable road speeds - for example 90% of the journeys I make first thing in the morning it tries to send me down a B road parralleling the M40 instead of sending me using it "because it's quicker"

There are many other major faults with the product - I'm only using it now because of the hack to disable VGA mode - there is no way it deserves 97.5% - I understand your desire to stand by your review but I think you should add a link to the reported faults on the product or make a change to the review cautioning prospective buyers. As it stands TT5 is not fit for casual use and as a responsible and independent web site you should make this clear - anyone reading the review will think that TT5 is a marvelous product that will work immidiately and give them no hassle - if they have a VGA PDA it won't work at all - if they have a bluetooth receiver odds are unless they have used TT3 (which takes them out of the remit of first time buyers) it won't work - just leaving them confused and angry - many people will think it's thir fault when of cause it's the fact they've effectively paid to beta test TT5.

Hope the above doesn't sound too negative I'm a long timer user of this web site (and bought my first kit based on reviews from here) I just think that the review was obviously flawed and needs correcting / updating.

DinAlt
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel free to write your own review, and we will publish it on the site.

We have also a bug list thread on TTN5 (including workarounds) and we are testing a new version of TTN5 (under NDA) that will fix most of the bugs in that list.

Quote:
As it stands TT5 is not fit for casual use

Oh yes it is. You should see OnCourse Navigator 5...

Groundhog day indeed...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Conor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin2 wrote:
But that's all a postcode claims to do! For example, my own postcode covers the whole street. But if TomTom can get you that close, it's not hard to use the house number of the address to get you to the front door.
The main problem is in sparsely populated rural areas, where postcodes can sometimes cover a wider area. But the digitools utility was affected in exactly the same way.

Robin

And the problem isn't just in sparsely populated areas. THe point you've missed is that you don't always have a house number to get you to the front door. You have a business name or a holiday park name or a house name. The Digitools WASN'T affected in the same way. Christ man, I was using it up to 15 times a day for locations all over the UK. Don't you think I would have noticed?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: