Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Getting a refund from TT - like getting blood out of a stone
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting a refund from TT - like getting blood out of a stone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GuyC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Getting a refund from TT - like getting blood out of a stone Reply with quote

I don't suppose anyone can help but having a whinge about my treatment by TomTom will make me feel better and may be a warning for others.

As a TTN customer for over 2 years, I was registered on their website. I have in the past supplied full details of my PDA and GPS. Like most other members of this forum I received an invite to upgrade which did not include any hardware requirements. When my upgrade arrived it would not install on to my IPAQ 3630 correctly and when I finally got a response from their support they told me that was because my PDA was not supported, the sent me list of supported Devices which were all bluetooth devices so a cheap ebay purchase was not a solution either.

I asked for my money back and was told I had to fax them, having done so they replied that they had to get management approval, 4 days later I chased them again and they now claim they have never received the fax. I now feel my only option is to dispute the charge on my credit card.

They have not explained why they have arbitrarily changed the hardware requirements or why they invited me to buy a product which would not work on the hardware they knew I had. From what I have read in other threads, if it had worked on my PDA it would not have worked well with my GPS and the maps are still deficient in many areas. This is not the business practice of a reputable company and I look forwad to having no further dealings with them after this issue is settled.

To show that they are really taking the p, all their emails have at the bottom:

DID YOU KNOW?
Now you can upgrade your TomTom software and get the latest maps!

Want to benefit from TomTom’s new and improved software and the industry's most up-to date street level map data?
Click here for details on our upgrade for TomTom GO, NAVIGATOR or MOBILE.

The smart choice in personal navigation
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad story indeed. However I cannot understand how they can claim that this has to do with hardware. TTN5 works perfectly on the iPAQ 3630 with any cable GPS receiver.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience was completely different. I emailed them explaining that the lack of an off-line itinerary function made it less suitable than TT3 for my purposes. Within 2 days they emailed me a returns number to obtain a refund (of the basic cost, not the carriage)
In the event I decided to hang on, in the hope that a patch will solve my problem, but the refund procedure was totally painless
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
GuyC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Sad story indeed. However I cannot understand how they can claim that this has to do with hardware. TTN5 works perfectly on the iPAQ 3630 with any cable GPS receiver.

I would be very grateful if you could help me get it working, a previous post asking for installation help yielded no solutions. After installing it when I run, I get prompted for language etc. after selecting the voice the application terminates so I never get as far as telling it about my GPS (Navman sleeve) could the problem be with installing it from my windows 98 laptop, what directories should the install create on the PDA?
jaybee001
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem, got it solved "somehow" (tried so many things I can't remember what did the trick) but TT5 will NOT work with my Navman sleeve. the sleeve is working fine (use it with SmartST all the time) but in TT5 i get "no GPS device available" or "No valid GPS signal!"

mailing TomTom got me a link to their FAQ, where my question isn't answered, but I do find that my iPaq 3765 is not supported... why did they offer me the upgrade then, I was registered, they knew what hardware i am using)

I mailed them again today, asking them if this is the case, if it is, I want my money back.

as for their replies... whining about the fact you are selling a lot of programs so you don't have time to answer my questions is NOT considered support in this house.
sending me to a FAQ link where I can try and find an answer by stringing together a couple of FAQ's and hoping I am piecing together a correctg answer is NOT considerd support in this house.
getting a qualified person to answer MY mail, solving MY problem is support - if you are short staffed, HIRE staff

oh well, I'll probably install TT2 again... looked a bit user friendlier anyway
GuyC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading Lutz Bendlin's post that it will work on a 3630 I thought 'what else could be different?' so last night I updated my Rom firmware from the HP site and then reinstalled TTN5 sucessfully. I haven't had a chance to try it outside yet but don't expect it to work properly with the Navman as everybody else says. The supported device list was, as I suspected, a list of bluetooth devices which work with TT's hardware. I will continue my batle to get my refund. Their technical and sales admin support are pathetic, it is a pity that a good piece of software is owned and developed by a company run by a bunch of cowboys and fraudsters.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: