Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Best way 2 manipulate/navigate with POI’s
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Best way 2 manipulate/navigate with POI’s

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
desgb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Best way 2 manipulate/navigate with POI’s Reply with quote

Hello All,

I've had TTN2 for some time now and though invaluable, I've only used it infrequently so far - and a couple of things have got me stumped.

I want to begin compiling my own 'custom' POI files; I enjoy birding and receive email alerts of rare birds that occur in the UK. I would like to be able to use Microsoft Autoroute AND a website like http://www.streetmap.co.uk to search for locations and add them to POI's or simply 'navigate to' the locations (I don't know how best to do this in TTN2). The locations are usually given in the Landranger map Grid Reference format, e.g.:

'200yards east of trig point SU084647'.

Using Streetmap to search on the Landranger reference, the following is returned:

Location is at 408450E 164750N (N51:22:54 W1:52:48)

Results as in the example above can also be converted by Streetmap into the following formats:

OS X 408450

OS Y 164750

Nearest Post Code   

Lat (WGS84) N51:22:54 ( 51.381738 )

Long (WGS84) W1:52:48 ( -1.879970 )

LR SU084647

mX -209277

mY 6655692

M Actual : FFFCCE83_00658ECC

Street : FFFCCF98_00658E0C

Road : FFFCF2C0_00657890

Road64 : FFFD1200_00649600

Road128: FFFE0C00_00639C00

How do I interpret results from Streetmap (and Autoroute) and both:

1:     Organise many locations into a POI file

2:     Simply 'navigate to' as a one-off in TTN2

I suspect most of the 'POI Warning' packages are designed with Safety Cameras in mind - are there any that will warn when coming into a specified distance(say 10, 15, 20 miles, etc) from a given type of POI?

Thanks and Regards

Des

Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Best way 2 manipulate/navigate with POI’s Reply with quote

Hi desgb,

If you haven’t already got a copy of the PC Utility WinOV2 then download if from PocketGPS now, if not sooner, as it is the best thing since sliced bread!

Using one of the freely available POIs (again download from PocketGPS) as a template, rename the .BMP and .OV2 files to something more akin to your requirements (i.e. Bird_Sightings) and use WinOV2 to convert the .OV2 file into a .ASC file (convert to Ordnance Survey) and post the OS Grid Ref into the file to get a line like this:

SU 50420 98885 , "Rare bird X seen here"

Once you’ve got all of the POIs, use WinOV2 to convert the .ASC file to .OV2 format. Change the .BMP to whatever picture you want, I find MS Paint the best program for this, and copy the .BMP and .OV2 file to the area of your PocketPC where the map data is stored.

Using your example of “SU084647”, and www.streetmap.co.uk coordinates of OS X 408450 and OS Y 164750. Just ignore the first number of each X and Y coordinates and you’ve got your full 10 digit OS grid reference (with two letter identifier).

To answer you questions:

1. Keep doing the above to add loads of locations in a single POI file.

2. In Navigator once you’ve shutdown and restarted TTNav simply hit “Navigate to”, then Point of Interest and you may need to click on “more…” to display your relevant list of POIs. This will then list your locations (nearest first).
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
desgb
Occasional Visitor

Thanks Robert,

I have tried using GPSAssist and it looks like it has just about everything I need - though there are a couple of things I think could be better, and I'll be posting to the GPSAssist Forum section about that software. It has a POI handler feature which allows conversion and editing of .asc and .ov2 files, and a 'waymarking' feature which also sounds really good though I haven't tried it yet. I am interested to hear about other software. I have searched and I can't find any review or homepage for WinOV2 - any idea where I can find out more about it?

Does WinOV2 actually handle the Landranger reference directly without any need for conversion? As soon as I sussed out how to get the references from Streetmap I was cutting and pasting them into a .asc file to import into GPSAssist but that's really laborious. I'd like the opportunity to try software that handles the Landranger reference directly, though I guess a drawback might be that the reference wouldn't be precise enough or off-road, so might still need checking/converting with Streetmap anyway?

Thanks and Regards,

Des
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

Des,

The latest version of the PC utility WinOV2 can be downloaded from here.

I have had a handheld Garmin 12XL GPS unit for years and have used it to obtain an accurate record of locations (to within the normally accepted boundaries) of Speed Cameras – as well as other things of interest. Until I got TTNav2 I always worked in the Ordnance Survey grid references format. I had the 12XL always set to the map datum of “ORD SRVY GB” and the Position format of “British Grid”.

WinOV2 converts the Ordnance Survey positions to Longitude and Latitude and the datum from “ORD SRVY GB” to “WGS84”. The WGS84 datum is used by TTNav2. I have found that the positions of speed cameras that I’ve recorded my self (i.e. in the “ORD SRVY GB” datum) have been accurately converted by WinOV2 to within a very few metres.

Summing up:

Yes, WinOV2 handles Ordnance Survey (Landranger, Explorer, etc.) references directly. Just paste them into an .ASC file and pass them through the converter process to get the .OV2 file, which you then copy onto you PocketPC.

Be careful of POIs positions that are off-road or that are on private tracks that are not public rights-of-way, as TTNav2 doesn’t always route directly to them.

Download WinOV2 and have a play with it, it's not fancy, but it's a very good utility.

HTH.
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: