Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT5 maps on TT3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT5 maps on TT3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: TT5 maps on TT3 Reply with quote

For the time being I have stopped using TT5 and have reinstalled TT3. The main reason is the inability to plan itineraries offline in TT5 (TT support say that this is not possible on TT5, though the blurb on their web page implies otherwise. Time will tell if this is a bug which they are not admitting yet, or a feature which has been lost)
Has anyone yet solved how tomake TT5 maps work with TT3 - I understand it may just be a matter of changing a number reference in a file. In principle, it would be nice to use newer maps with TT3 (though I have found some errors in TT5 maps in places where TT3 was fine)
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: TT5 maps on TT3 Reply with quote

Robin2 wrote:
For the time being I have stopped using TT5 and have reinstalled TT3

By doing this you violate the license agreement with TomTom. You can only go back to TTN3 if you revoke your TTN5 license completely.

The only legal way would be to independently own TTN3 and TTN5 licenses. But even then we haven't found a way yet to use the v5 maps with TTN3. However, as an intermediate solution you can use the v4 maps with TTN3. Again - only if you own both licenses.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: TT5 maps on TT3 Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:

By doing this you violate the license agreement with TomTom. You can only go back to TTN3 if you revoke your TTN5 license completely.

Fair comment. I have written to TomTom saying I want to return TT5, but have not yet had a reply!

Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
amcluesent
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>By doing this you violate the license agreement with TomTom<

Hmm, so TomTom reckon they can decide when you are allowed to (re)install their software you've already paid good money for...I recall the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 states that contract term which is contrary to the requirement of good faith are invalid... Wink
Loobster
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: TT5 maps on TT3 Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:

I don't understand how you could possibly come to this conclusion.

If one has a legal copy of TT3, whether one has purchased TT5 upgrade or full product, you still have the legal right to use TT3. Installing TT5 doesn't make your TT3 license disappear!

--Loob.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not how TomTom sees it - they think that by purchasing the upgrade you void the old license. They will also void your v3 product key, preventing you from doing any more installs of v3 onto different devices.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Loobster
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's ludicrous. I would never buy the upgrade for that reason alone. I presume you are talking about upgrades only then. In that case if you have 2 full boxed products you can reinstall v3.

What a stupid licensing model. I have never heard of any other company who refuse to allow you to reinstall the product you upgraded from onto the same unit it was originally installed to. The epitome of stupidity.

When they pull stunts like that how can they complain when people use illegal copies.

--Loob.
Nomada
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: TT5 maps on TT3 Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:

May be the customer (and payer) could claim "self defence"?

Personally if my customers can use a workaround to a problem in my programs that allow them to work better and me to have more time to sort it I will never complaint, may be I call him to say a big "Thanks mate".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loobster wrote:
I have never heard of any other company who refuse to allow you to reinstall the product you upgraded from onto the same unit it was originally installed to. The epitome of stupidity.

Navigon are doing the same. They even require you to send your original CDs back.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Nomada
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Loobster,

Loobster wrote:
What a stupid licensing model. I have never heard of any other company who refuse to allow you to reinstall the product you upgraded from onto the same unit it was originally installed to. The epitome of stupidity.

You have a good point there.

Some companies, focused to produce software to be used by professionals are very carefull in providing new versions able to read what was read by olders. Translation to our case could be TTN 5 reading maps from former versions.

A lot of them provide too patches (frequently free) to upgrade the old versions to be able to read files produced by new versions. In our case it will be a patch for TTN 3 reading maps for TTN5.

As a sample, if you buy/upgrade to Visual Studio .NET you're provided with instructions to get your old Vidual Studio working in the same machine.

A few hours ago I proposed a poll (hope doesn't fall in deaf ears) about TTN 3 and TTN 5.

It seems like Navigation software makers went not to the school those days were customer support was learned. They want everybody buying the latest. And I could agree with it. The latest here, at least in my opinion, are the maps, not the software itself.

My old XDA I is very happy running TTN 3 but becomes thick and unestable with TTN 5. Because the maps? I can guess not. It's just because the new software is designed to use more powerfull processors. So if I want to upgrade my maps I need to upgrade the soft and that means to buy another machine. That's for me a very poor customer support from the scratch.

So if I have not money on my pocket and wanted to have the latest maps surely I would find my way looking for any other Navigation soft, not so exigent with the machine and providing the same "updated" maps as they all come just from a couple companies. Did they business? No, they lost a customer and the sale.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
dpat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone want to answer the OP's question - can ttn5 maps be made to run on ttn3 and if so, how is it done

I'll wait for ttn5.02 where some of the 'features' have been fixed

David
nearlylost
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought lbendlin did

The only legal way would be to independently own TTN3 and TTN5 licenses. But even then we haven't found a way yet to use the v5 maps with TTN3
FatFreddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more software manufacturers try to protect their product, the more they irritate their legitimate customers. Pirates don't seem to be bothered at all, in fact they probably just see it as a new challenge.

If you irritate you legitimate customers, you just encourage them to look at rival products and therefore risk losing them.

I do not like the clunky interface of TT5 (or the the loss of the drop down menus and click/hold menu, also checkpoint!) and will stick with TT3. After all postcode software is available and the new maps only seem to have the m6 toll addition, which i never use.

If they did offer a map only upgrade i would be happy to buy it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: