Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - I just wasted 100 quid on Maps of Europe!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

I just wasted 100 quid on Maps of Europe!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisDev
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: I just wasted 100 quid on Maps of Europe! Reply with quote

Is it just me, or would anyone else be slightly annoyed by the fact that I just purchased Maps of Western Europe for TT3 for £100, and now I've been told I can have them (new and improved) virtually free with a £30 upgrade to TT5?! :x

Do I have cause for complaint?! Opinions welcome!
SharpEye
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: I just wasted 100 quid on Maps of Europe! Reply with quote

ChrisDev wrote:
Is it just me, or would anyone else be slightly annoyed by the fact that I just purchased Maps of Western Europe for TT3 for £100, and now I've been told I can have them (new and improved) virtually free with a £30 upgrade to TT5?! :x

Do I have cause for complaint?! Opinions welcome!

I think you will find that although you get the CD with the maps of Europe on them, you will only be able to use the ones that you have registered previously. Crying or Very sad

SharpEye
AndyCr15
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, so those of us with TT5 don't have detailed maps of Europe?

I'm just installing now, and I went to 'download' maps. I had the option of download a rather small map or Arlington in VA, USA for about 10 euros! Seems a little expensive! Would I then get other VA maps free? It's a great idea, but rather expensive for someone travelling round the US...

Does it work the same for European maps? I know I could probably wait 20 mins and check Laughing Rolling Eyes I'll probably come back and answer the Europe one myself in a while. Would be interested to know about US maps though.

www.lanarchy.co.uk for LAN gaming near London
SharpEye
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyCr15 wrote:
Wait, so those of us with TT5 don't have detailed maps of Europe?

I was just talking about the upgrade route to TTN5 - however, looking back at the TT email extolling TTN5, it would seem that I read it wrongly. Crying or Very sad

tt email wrote:
Next to the NAVIGATOR 5 software, you will receive updated maps of the region(s) you already own. On top of that you will receive all other available maps of Western Europe including previously unavailable maps of Poland and the Czech Republic. Included are a set of maps which connect each region map with the major roads of Europe, combined in one single map. This will allow you to navigate cross-border to all major towns of Europe. For example you will be able to navigate from your home address to any town in Europe using one single map. The updated maps, enhanced features, in addition to TomTom's legendary ease of use make this one of the best upgrades ever. .

Hey Ho (extract foot from mouth) Embarassed

SharpEye
proeliator2001
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've purchased them in the past couple of weeks it might be worth sending an email to TomTom and at least asking for a free upgrade to TTN5. Doubt they could refund your money for the first lot but the upgrade is nearly 50 quid delivered so if they'd do it for free it might ease the pain!
ChrisDev
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

proeliator2001 wrote:
If you've purchased them in the past couple of weeks it might be worth sending an email to TomTom and at least asking for a free upgrade to TTN5. Doubt they could refund your money for the first lot but the upgrade is nearly 50 quid delivered so if they'd do it for free it might ease the pain!

Thanks, I'm going to try this. I will let you know how I get on.
onur
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am on the same boat. It is very annoying. I had to purchase the complete set of maps for my trip to Lyon only.

They shoud offer a free upgrade or a set of US maps instead .
MajorClanger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried doing just that - sending an e-mail to TomTom as I'm in the same boat. However, as I expected I got a point-blank refusal to a free upgrade.

However, I do have a question. As I have product codes for both Navigator 3 and Maps of Western Europe - can I purchase 2 upgrades and therefore have 2 sets of Navigator 5 with full Western Europe Maps?

Cheers

Major Clanger
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MajorClanger wrote:
I've tried doing just that - sending an e-mail to TomTom as I'm in the same boat. However, as I expected I got a point-blank refusal to a free upgrade.

However, I do have a question. As I have product codes for both Navigator 3 and Maps of Western Europe - can I purchase 2 upgrades and therefore have 2 sets of Navigator 5 with full Western Europe Maps?

Cheers

Major Clanger

I ordered 2 copies using my ttn3 and mwe codes - reveived them both today - so yes you can. I've installed one copy may ebay the other which is still sealed or give it to my dad for fathers day.

Ian
Peter Kessler
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So does it work the same as a new retail install? Or will it only work if it's actually upgrading? Also, do you have to remove your old version before installing TTN5?
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed over ttn3 but will do a clean install once windows mobile 5 is available for the dell.

installing over kept the recent locations list - lost favourites - I'm 99.9% sure you will be able to do a clean install - you coould with ttn2 upgrade and ttn3 upgrades. tomtom suggest deleting the maps before installing ttn5 and the rest of ttn3 is available as a download from tomtom via 3.07 so a clean install will be possible.

Ian
ChrisDev
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick update. I had the same reply from TomTom refusing to upgrade me and pretending that they understood the frustration I was feeling - huh!!

I might try to get two upgrades myself, at least it will cover some of my costs if I can sell one copy on. Thanks for the idea.

Chris
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in exactly the same position.But I doubt if you would get your money back buying a second upgrade and selling it on ebay. Cracked copies of TT5 are on sale for £12 or less
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
mike30
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The extra expense isn’t a mere 59 Euros (for the upgrade) it is also the additional cost of 150 Euros (for the Western Maps of Europe) which I did not need to purchase, this then amounts to 209 Euros.
Consequently the upgrade now does not seem that reasonable to me.

I do not seek a full refund for the Western Maps of Europe. As a gesture of “Goodwill” on your part it would only be fair to make some further reduction or special offer to compensate me for having spent the “unnecessary “sum of 150 Euros.
Sent messag to Tomtom with no satisfaction at all.
Very annoyed!!!javascript:emoticon('Evil or Very Mad')
Evil or Very Mad
simonpearce
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep me too - bought them a couple of months ago from amazon - used them once Sad

There seems little point selling them on ebay as they're only going for a few quid Sad

Simon

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: