Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Install error on TT5 upgrade 'no free temporary space'
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Install error on TT5 upgrade 'no free temporary space'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beams
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Install error on TT5 upgrade 'no free temporary space' Reply with quote

TT5 upgrade just arrived but it wont install !!

Running setup from the product cd gives error:

not enough free space on temporary folder. Cannot run setup

No google or forum hits apart from one in Dutch, and I don't speak Dutch.

Kit is xda2 running 2003SE, 256mb sd card (empty)

Can anybody help please?
NMatthew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem running setup on a Windows XP connected to a Windows Domain. I think it may be due to the TEMP and TMP environment variables referring to folders with spaces in, or too long, or not having the correct permissions.

I got mine to install by editing TEMP and TEMP to be C:\WINDOWS\TEMP rather than C:\Documents and Settings\MatthewN\... (whatever) and then trying again.

You can edit user environment variables my right-clicking on My Computer, select Properties, Advanced, Environment Variables.

(I posted this tip some days ago in the TomTom forum uder the title of Installation Tip)

Hope this helps
Neil
NMatthew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant TEMP and TMP of course.

Neil
beams
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Neil, appreciate the help.

I had managed to install TT5 using a laptop but checked the info on my PC today and by changing tmp and temp managed to run setup ok.

So for completeness I checked the laptop settings....its docs\settings ...temp and tmp. !! So that shouldnt have worked?!?

Ah well. But what I do have is a great app, and fantastic portability using a recently acquired Leadtek BT GPS.
Simannjo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Guys... Just had exactly the same problem with same fix. Ta Laughing
madhatter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had the same problems. A search on this forum said create a directory on your computer and copy the contents of the cd (1 UK maps) to it then run the install from the directory on your HD. This solution worked fine for me and is the one tomtom support give.
lenlo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I had exactly the same problem and found that the setup program on the TomTom Map CD tried to copy itself to %TMP%\Setup.exe, but failed because another Setup.exe program already existed in %TMP% which it couldn't overwrite. Manually removing it made everything fine again, though.

Cheers,
--Lennart
NMatthew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lenlo, you've hit the nail on the head.

Now I've gone to look for it I, too, have a setup.exe file in my default TMP/TEMP folder (left over from an installation of Oracle Collaboration Suite as it happens) so that would explain why my fix worked for me and not for others.

So, now we have two workarounds for people hitting this problem:

1. Go to your temporary folder, which may be hidden so you'll need to do this first in Windows Explorer: Tools, Folder Options, View and check the option Show hidden files and folders. Then in Windows Explorer navigate to My Computer, C:, Documents and Settings, the folder corresponding to your user name, Local Settings, Temp. If there is a file called setup.exe in this folder, delete it.

or

2. Make a new folder somewhere on your PC, the desktop might be easiest and copy the contents of the TTN5 Applications CD into it. Then run setup.exe from there.

The advantage of option 1 is that this will potentially fix other installers for other applications that suffer from this problem. The advantage of option 2 is that is is simpler, and is what Tomtom suggest.

Neil

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: