Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - LETS ACT, TOMTOM 5 SHOULD BE INVESTIGATED BY WHICH?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

LETS ACT, TOMTOM 5 SHOULD BE INVESTIGATED BY WHICH?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glen007
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats interesting darren, most other people have had to use other wired NMEA gps device and selceted a baud rate of 9600 or 38400, com 8

Oh well its a couple of options to try.

It sounds like yours has go in exactly how it should i wonder why yours has work differently to other peoples i.e like alix776

is it may be because your rom is upto date Confused
COMPACT FLASH VIKING INTERWORKS 512MB
Soulah
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yer mine wouldnt work with other bluetooth GPS, had to select other wired and point it to com 8.
djohnson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Tom Tom could help themselves a little (actually, a lot) if their email responses were a little less insulting.

For example. I posted a question to Tom Tom recently to tell them that since my upgrade from Tom Tom 3 to 5, I do not have the ability to search on the new (and advertised) 6 digit post codes.

The first part of their response was to tell me that I need to click on Navigate, then click on Post Code. Then type in the 6 digit post code.

Erm, excuse me but erm, I already did this. Hence the question to support. Dohh.

They then go on to exaplain that I need to install the Post Code file. But with no details as to A) what a post code file looks like B) where do I find it? and C) How to do it?

And more to the point, why was the the upgrade released. Actually, I'll stop there. I'll put 2 and 2 together. I've worked it out. The Marketing department have not been communication with the technical department.
dunos
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom should no more be investigated by Which than any software company should be. All software programs are buggy. Whenever you get a group of users together you will rarely hear about the people who love it, you will always hear the complaints.

Marketing departments always sell products before they are ready and before all the bugs are fixed. They will often try and sell products that don't even exist or are blatently not going to ever do what the marketing people say it will. This is not my experience with TomTom who just need to iron out the bugs. In general the software does what it says it will.

TomTom's customer service, something I haven't had to deal with directly, has always been according to this forum. You can't start complaining now about customer service just because you got Navigator 5 if you have ever ever read this forum before as you would have known exactily what you were letting yourself in for.

Map errors are there and always will be. There will never be a perfect map and if the map is not perfect then you will get the issues that we sometimes experience with TomTom routing you through a set of bollards and over a pedestrian area (last night). Alternatively it may say turn left at the roundabout and... blow me... there isn't a roundabout (last week). Just think of TTN as being a fairly good female navigator (helps if you use the Jane voice) and then you realise why it sometimes makes mistakes ;) [I am so going to get flamed for that comment]

It is positive and proactive of us to come up with an official list of bugs. It sounds like the Pocket GPS World admins are at least friends of the TomTom people so when we all hilight these problems as a user group (which is effectively what we are) then TomTom are more likely to take notice. Especially as the verified bugs in the sticky thread are fairly important/major ones.

An investigation by Which would do nothing for us. It would make TomTom more closed off to us and less likely to see us as a valid user group. It would delay the release of any updates and could hamper in the future any more gifts such as the full EU maps for upgraders. Seriously, full EU maps! If you don't go abroard then ok, thats a fat lot of good but heck, FULL EU maps!

And yes I have had problems with TTN5. I am also fairly confident that TT will upgrade my software when the technical people catch up with the marketing department. That is what the upgrade feature in the download stuff bit is for yea?

If we wern't moaning about TTN5 being buggy we would be moaning about how TT were not releasing it yet or how we are still running on old maps.

My 37.5p
CJackel492
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dunos wrote:
If we wern't moaning about TTN5 being buggy we would be moaning about how TT were not releasing it yet or how we are still running on old maps.

Err...

We are still using old maps!

I have found alot of the same error's still exist, and old bypass's still haven't been included,

Sad

And 2 out of 5 postcodes were wrong,

Carl,
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJackel492 wrote:

Carl,

Depends what you mean by wrong. Where they totally out or just a couple of hundred yards?

Once again it's only as good as the data supplied to TomTom.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
dunos
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJackel492 wrote:

We are still using old maps!

They aren't as old as the TTN3 maps! All mapping systems suffer from a certain amount of old data. Granted old stuff should be on the maps and it is the data providers fault if they have been told about changes.

Dan
CJackel492
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
CJackel492 wrote:

Carl,

Depends what you mean by wrong. Where they totally out or just a couple of hundred yards?

Once again it's only as good as the data supplied to TomTom.

1 was 1 road out, the other, well, I don't know, The postcode on TTN5 didn't match the road name, and as I don't know the area, I couldn't say how far out it was,

Carl,
djohnson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dunos wrote:
TomTom should no more be investigated by Which than any software company should be. All software programs are buggy. Whenever you get a group of users together you will rarely hear about the people who love it, you will always hear the complaints.

Marketing departments always sell products before they are ready and before all the bugs are fixed. They will often try and sell products that don't even exist or are blatently not going to ever do what the marketing people say it will. This is not my experience with TomTom who just need to iron out the bugs. In general the software does what it says it will.

TomTom's customer service, something I haven't had to deal with directly, has always been according to this forum. You can't start complaining now about customer service just because you got Navigator 5 if you have ever ever read this forum before as you would have known exactily what you were letting yourself in for.

Map errors are there and always will be. There will never be a perfect map and if the map is not perfect then you will get the issues that we sometimes experience with TomTom routing you through a set of bollards and over a pedestrian area (last night). Alternatively it may say turn left at the roundabout and... blow me... there isn't a roundabout (last week). Just think of TTN as being a fairly good female navigator (helps if you use the Jane voice) and then you realise why it sometimes makes mistakes ;) [I am so going to get flamed for that comment]

It is positive and proactive of us to come up with an official list of bugs. It sounds like the Pocket GPS World admins are at least friends of the TomTom people so when we all hilight these problems as a user group (which is effectively what we are) then TomTom are more likely to take notice. Especially as the verified bugs in the sticky thread are fairly important/major ones.

An investigation by Which would do nothing for us. It would make TomTom more closed off to us and less likely to see us as a valid user group. It would delay the release of any updates and could hamper in the future any more gifts such as the full EU maps for upgraders. Seriously, full EU maps! If you don't go abroard then ok, thats a fat lot of good but heck, FULL EU maps!

And yes I have had problems with TTN5. I am also fairly confident that TT will upgrade my software when the technical people catch up with the marketing department. That is what the upgrade feature in the download stuff bit is for yea?

My 37.5p

Re the following paragraph:-

"You can't start complaining now about customer service just because you got Navigator 5 if you have ever ever read this forum before as you would have known exactily what you were letting yourself in for."

Complaining is positive. It's what changes things. Do nothing and nothing will change.

You seem to trivialise a product being released before it is ready. That largely depends on what the bugs are to be honest. Are we to be totally complacent about everything we buy? Each to his own I guess.

Re customer services. If you have never had to deal with them, then you can't comment.
Quantum
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dunos wrote:
TomTom should no more be investigated by Which than any software company should be. All software programs are buggy.
My 37.5p

Oh, so you're not only one of these who rolls over and gives up, but you also counsel others to accept bad behavior on the grounds that everyone else is doing it!

This is regressive and counterproductive to progress, and is the attitude usually manifested by neocons who defend big corporations from the public good, here in the States.

I don't think that was worth no 37.5p.
amcluesent
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look at this on the contect of TT planning an IPO. Their backers will want to cash out with the maximum gain, and TT can't afford to lose sales to peeps sharing warez. Logically, the maintain their revenue they will want to sell a complete package like GO. subscriptionn based services, or tie in the PDA s/w to some proprietary kit like the TT GPS, which just 'happens' to work OK with TT5 while sleeves etc. seem to be highly unreliable.

Short term profit maximising has trumped customer support :x
k3-dude
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

warez ? wish id have gone down that road now got tom tom 5 upgrade pack instald the prog and map went to activate them and guess what good old tom tom website gave me the wrong activation code now im stuck with a pda without tom tom till they reply to my email if ever . i mean whats the point of product codes/ activation codes when none work eh by the way i had the same with western europe mapps for tt 3 so this is the last software im ever going to buy of them. out of the box dosent come into it . i can see why people use warez software when they get pi*sed about like me
Howarduk
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k3

Maybe I missed somthing here, but I was under the impression is the way TT5 worked is the same way as TT3 was activated <at least it was for me>

You ordered the upgrade and quoted the activation number from TT3 and then they sent you a brand new TT5 complete with activation code in the box.

Unless of course you somehow lost the activation code and asked them for another one?

Howard
dunos
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djohnson wrote:

"You can't start complaining now about customer service just because you got Navigator 5 if you have ever ever read this forum before as you would have known exactily what you were letting yourself in for."

Complaining is positive. It's what changes things. Do nothing and nothing will change.

Yes, I fully agree with your statement. But I think our complaint will be stronger if we use a group voice such as the thread about verified bugs in the software. Individually I don't think we have much clout.

I am trying to be the devils advocate against the people who post very inflamatory threads such as OMG DON'T BUY THIS. As I stated before you only ever hear from those who have problems in forums such as this. Not a bad thing as there are very knowledgable people here who can help.

djohnson wrote:

You seem to trivialise a product being released before it is ready. That largely depends on what the bugs are to be honest. Are we to be totally complacent about everything we buy? Each to his own I guess.

Software is one of those unique products that can be changed after it has been bought. If we were to wait for every single bit of software we bought to be completely stable we wouldn't have much software in the world and I don't think computing would have progressed as far or as fast as it had. Having said that we would all be able to run nuclear power stations on a home pc since it would never crash.

djohnson wrote:

Re customer services. If you have never had to deal with them, then you can't comment.

Having reviewed my email logs I find I have delt with them twice. While I found them curt and to the point they did respond within 48hrs and I think I can put a lot down to a slight language barrier.
k3-dude
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howarduk wrote:
k3

Maybe I missed somthing here, but I was under the impression is the way TT5 worked is the same way as TT3 was activated <at least it was for me>

You ordered the upgrade and quoted the activation number from TT3 and then they sent you a brand new TT5 complete with activation code in the box.

Unless of course you somehow lost the activation code and asked them for another one?

Howard

No mate i bought the software from a kid on here in the sales forums i put the product code in www.ttcode.com then my device code then the site gave me an activation code but when i put the code in my pda it said wrong activation code . if its all to do with combating warez software there well of the mark . and if i buy anything that dosent work i have the right to complain so im sorry tom tom ive sent them an email of all the problems ive had activating the software .

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: