Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Maps Upgrades
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Maps Upgrades

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markfldavison
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Maps Upgrades Reply with quote

I see from the Tom Tom site that they quote two different prices for the map upgrades, 59 and 7( Euros. From the description it is not clear what you are getting and what the difference is. Can anyone enlighten me?
linrew
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi

for 59 euros (plus p+p) you get 6 discks for maps of western europe including UK and postcode search

for 79 you get an sd card with updated (i use this term loosly)maps of the uk and postcode search

the only problem is that you have to have purchased an older copy of MOWE before you can upgrade to the new MOWE

if all you have is UK maps then uou cant upgrade to MOWE

linrew Laughing
markfldavison
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Thanks for the reply, but I am still a little confused. I have UK map (detailed) and I also have Maps of Western Europe, but the maps I have are the 'main roads' version that came with the the original Tom Tom Go.

What I want to do is get updated postcoded map of UK, but if I can also get the Western Europe Maps as well for 20 Euros cheaper then great, I don't mind doing moving them from CD to SD.

Can any one tell me on the cheaper version are these Westren Europen maps detailed, can I up grade from the less detailed maps to these maps.

Thanks
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you actually have is MRE (Major Roads of Europe) plus the UK map.

If you upgrade what you have you will get V5 UK map, with intergrated MRE and Postcode navigation, cost 79 euros +.

The only way for you to get new detailed maps of Europe, (MOWE) is to purchase them outright.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
markfldavison
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard

Thanks - I think I understand the difference. I assume that if I purchased the upgrade of the MOWE that none of these would work? Not even the UK one?

If I could buy the MOWE and the upgrade only worked on the UK map I might go for that, as I don't really need updated European maps, saves 20 Euros!

Sorry if I am being dim, but Tom Tom don't make this very clear.

thanks

mark
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can only get the 59€ upgrade to the "new" MOWE map set (6 CDs) if you provide TomTom with the product code of your current set of "old" MOWE maps. If you have no "old" MOWE maps (4CD set) you cannot use this upgrade route, you would have to buy a new set at full price (or, as I did, buy an old set for around £80 and then upgrade).

If you have the old "Classic" GO you have a GB map on the card and a Major Road of Europe map on the CD in the box. You can upgrade this (€79) to the "GB Plus" map (GB and MRE map combined) which TomTom supply on a 256 MB SD card.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
rayflan
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark
After you bought your go did you buy the maps of western Europe which would of being a set of six cds? if not the only upgrade option open to you is the uk plus maps for 79 euros.
markfldavison
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard

No, I only had the original UK Map and the Main Roads of Euope that came with the Tom Tom Go.

I now understand, it just seems somewhat illogical that the smaller upgrade (UK and MRWE) is more money than the larger (MOWE)!

Mark
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the small upgrade gives you a new SD card, which I'm sure tomTom will value at more than the £20 or so you can buy one for on the net.

If you get the MOWE CD set you will almost certainly need to buy an SD card in addition.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
markfldavison
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks

But I already have a 512K SD card in use! So I don't want an SD card.
smallfreak
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

markfldavison wrote:
Thanks

But I already have a 512K SD card in use! So I don't want an SD card.

The GO is designed for the less technically trained, average user. You can expect anybody to be able to change an SD card when one wants to use "a new map". My aunt annie would certainly be unable to copy a new map from a set of CDs to an existing SD card, where the map then must be activated before use. However she would be able to "insert the Italy map".

This is a consumer article, so you are "over qualified". Consider this unit as some other "car HiFi" equipment. Though your "radio" might play MP3 from a self burned DVD, the average user would more likely "just insert the xxx CD" to listen to the pre-recorded music. Certainly, you could compile your own music-library at home, where you place the picks of your newly bought "xxx CD" onto your existing CDR along with your other favorits, but for most music listeners it is preferable that the tracks are delievered in consumer friendly CD format instead of computer optimized *.ogg or *.mp3 files.

You might consider ordering the MoWE CD set for your purpose.
benlast
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smallfreak wrote:

The GO is designed for the less technically trained, average user. You can expect anybody to be able to change an SD card when one wants to use "a new map". My aunt annie would certainly be unable to copy a new map from a set of CDs to an existing SD card, where the map then must be activated before use. However she would be able to "insert the Italy map".

I think that point should be emblazoned in fiery letters over the entrance to the Forum Smile

I'm drastically overqualified to use a Go (being a Linux developer, amongst other things) but I'm still quite happy swapping SD cards when I swap maps. Sure, in theory it'd be more "elegant" to have everything on one card, but I don't need to set that up. The amount of gain for the trouble is pretty low. When I'm in Spain later this month, I'll shove in the Iberia SD and save the UK one away (naturally, they're backed up). Easy.

Now if I did have a gripe, it'd be that the Units settings should be saved on the SD card rather than in the Go's memory. Thus I could put in the Iberia SD and be in km rather than miles, and vice versa for the UK. As it is, this morning I was wondering why the hell my Go was telling me I was speeding... until I realised I'd let it set in km/h.
Simp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject: Maps Of Western Europe for TT Go Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me why the MOWE have not yet been released when I can get individual maps on SD card ?

I brought my TTgo 300 several months ago and have been patiently waiting for MOWE I have ordered from Amazon but delay after delay and TT just roll forward the availability date each month, on their web site.

If anyone can shed any light on this I would appreciate it.

Crying or Very sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: