Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Nav 5 does not have FULL postcode search facility ???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Nav 5 does not have FULL postcode search facility ???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbegg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Also works for Palms! Reply with quote

smike wrote:
I was having exactly the same problem on my Palm T3 - I had installed the GB post codes file but still had plain old 4-5 char codes. Crying or Very sad
The post code files had ended up in a directory called Great_BritainpostalMap. I created a directory called zip and copied the contents of the latter directory and full post codes started working.
Hoorah!

It such fun being a beta tester :D

Smike,

Can you let me know the contents of your SD card on your Palm T3. I am having all sorts of problems with my upgrade to TTN 5 and it would be useful to know what should be on the card after upgrade.
stephenmorton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could not get full postcode lookup with Navigator 5 on my XDAII. The postcodes were installed on SD. It has worked perfectly since I installed them in Main Memory.

Best wishes. Stephen.
jweaver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbegg,

Here is what I have got on mine.. I have 3 folders at root level:

TomTom
zip
Great_Britain_Plus-Map

Then inside these folders I have:

TomTom:

setup.dat
data.chk
Munich.bin
data05.vif
data05.chk
data04.vif
data04.chk
data09.vif
data09.chk
data08.vif
data08.chk
data07.vif
data07.chk
data06.vif
data06.chk
SdkFileCalls

zip:

Great_Britain.Postal
setup.dat

Great_Britain_Plus-Map

cline.dat
cname.dat
cnode.dat
faces.dat
Great_Britain.mid
Great_Britain.pna
Great_Britain_Plus.mid
Great_Britain_Plus.pna
mapinfo.dat
poi.dat
setup.dat
tmccodes.dat
traffic.dat
traffic.inc

If you have this, it should work.

I hope this helps

Jon
jbegg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jon,

Thank you for your last post. When I look at my SD Card there is a lot from your list that is not on my card. The only thing different is that you have installed the GB Plus Map and I have only installed the GB Map. This could mean that some of your files are meant for that map only, so I am not sure what to do now. Thanks for trying anyway.

Anyone else care to list the files on their SD Card (Palm Version of TTN 5)
for a non-GB Plus map installation? Thank you in advance.
jweaver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't imagine that there would be significantly less files when using the non-Plus maps.

In my case, because I have used TT5 and have installed various Point-of-Interest files, some of the files I have listed above may have been created since the upgrade.

If it were me, I would delete everthing and install/upgrade again.

If you have a card reader, its MUCH quicker.. Simply select the "Advanced" option and then install to a folder (Select a temporary directory).. Then you can move these files onto the card.

Good luck!

Jon
kalvin928s4
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had same problem when loading software onto main memory and gb map directly onto card. i then tried puting everything onto the memory card, and let it self install..... and now has full postcode search. dont know what or where the files have gone but it works.
jbegg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon/Calvin

Thank you for your posts. If you are right about the GB Plus map files then I have a lot of files missing on my card which may explain why I cannot progress past the map installation to activation (I get "No maps found"). Here is a list of the attempts I have made thus far to install the upgrade on my Palm T3:

1) On my Windows PC at work on Friday using Hotsync to install the initial Navigator application and then a card reader to install the non-GB plus map. Result: "No maps found". Looking at the card it appears to have all the data on it ie 113.2 mb used and 6.8 mb free.

2) On my Windows PC at work on Friday using Hotsync to install the initial Navigator application and then a card reader to install the non-GB plus map. Result: "No maps found". Looking at the card it appears to have all the data on it, ie 113.2 mb used and 6.8 mb free.

3) On my Windows PC at work on Friday using Hotsync to install the initial Navigator application and then Hotsync to install the non-GB plus map. Result: "No maps found". Looking at the card it appears to have all the data on it ie 113.2 mb used and 6.8 mb free.

4) On my Apple Mac at home I have tried to Hotsync but the files are not compatible. I can open the folders in the Tom Tom Cds but am unable to hotsync to my Palm. Although I have managed to install the map files onto my SD Card via a card reader, when i tried also to decompress the CAB files of the application program and install them by dragging and dropping them onto my hotsync window - no joy!!

Thought I might add that I have spoken to TomTom on Friday and it was their advice to do the couple of more re-installations, they also mentioned that Mac installer was planned. As they are closed now for the weekend I will have to wait till monday to speak to them again.

I am going to try the following at work on Monday: before trying to re-install I am going to make sure I am not on our computer network and I am going to disable the virus software. I am then going to try and install the upgrade using the hotsync to install the application and my card reader to install the GB non-plus map. If that fails I will then contact TomTom again for advice - maybe a new set of CDs???

Unless anyone has any ideas?
longwori
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also did an advanced install of the UK+ maps to my SD card in a card reader and then could not do full post code look-up.

The creation of the missing TomTom folder on the memory card fixed it for me. Laughing

Thanks guys.

Ian
Speedster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CouchPotato wrote:
Apparently the GB plus include MRE.

Steve

What's MRE please?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speedster wrote:
CouchPotato wrote:
Apparently the GB plus include MRE.

Steve

What's MRE please?

Major Roads of Europe as opposed to MOWE, Maps of Western Europe.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
smike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbegg,

I installed the standard GB maps on my Palm T3.
I then installed the UK post codes which ended up in a directory called 'TomTom Great_Britainpostal Map'
I then had to create a new directory called zip into which I copied the contents of the postal codes directory.

AFAIK things are working OK now.
My current SD card directory structure is shown below:

TomTom:

setup.dat
data.chk
Munich.bin
data05.vif
data05.chk

zip:

Great_Britain.Postal
setup.dat

TomTom Great_Britain Map:

cline.dat
cname.dat
cnode.dat
faces.dat
Great_Britain.mid
Great_Britain.pna
mapinfo.dat
poi.dat
setup.dat
tmccodes.dat
traffic.dat
traffic.inc

Cheers
smike
jbegg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smike,

I have had a talk with an expert from TomTom today he told me to upgrade my Plm Desktop from 4.1.0 to the latest which is 4.1.4.

After upgrading the Palm Desktop and re-installing, I inserted my SD Card and managed to get to a few setup screens before getting the "No maps found" message (before, all I got was the "No maps found" message).

Looking at your list I have an extra folder "Palm" which contains an empty folder called "launcher" and another file called "Start". The Great_Britain-Map folder I have does not contain the Great_Britain.mid file or the Traffic.inc file. I have a Great_Britain file that has a musical note graphic on it, that could be the Great_Britain.mid file (mid could mean midi which is musical). So there is not a lot of difference but what there is could be vital.

Thank you for your help. I am stumped as to what I can do now. I will speak to TomTom again tomorrow to see if they can sort this out for me.
jbegg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I got my upgrade working today at long last (got the upgrade last friday). After updating my Palm Desktop to version 4.1.4 (from version 4.1.0) I still could not get past the "No maps found" after using a card reader to install the maps. All I did was to hotsync the maps as well as the application (after advice from TomTom) and it worked.

Now I can join everyone else in looking at all the posts in the forums - without feeling I am an outcast not having been able to upgrade.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me - it is very much appreciated!!
carina16a
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: Postcodes Reply with quote

Following earlier posts in this forum, I have created the missing zip folder on my sd card, copied the contents of the Great_BritainpostalMap folder to it and, as people above have found, I now have full postcode search capabilities!
Thanks all!
Now on to the POI problems....

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: