Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom hanging
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom hanging
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mottus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,

I have two SD cards - both Lexar (which both this site and the Axim Site seem to recommend).

One card has markings;
SD1GB - 100M
A040507B

The second card is marked as "High Speed 32x" has the markings;
SD1GB - 100M
A040507B
(all of which seems remarkably similar to the 'non' High Speed card).

I'm not convinced that buying a new PDA is really a suitable solution - given TomTom list the Axim X5 as a compatible PDA for their software.

Also, the phrase 'chucking good money after bad' seems to spring to mind!!

I did actually intend to go the CF GPS route but was advised (fairly strongly) by ibendlin NOT to, and to go the BT route - which (it appears unfortunately) I chose to follow this advice.

I would be reluctant to buy a CF GPS card, as I have absolutely no confidence that it would work with TomTom any better than the current BT CF Card and Holux receiver - as I'm not convinced the problem is with either of these, but rather with TomTom itself.
John_h
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the maps on SD card try puting them on CF, it solved my problem
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maps on a CF card aren't an option in this case - as the CF slot is taken with a CF Bluetooth card.

As you say, both your cards are 'new style' Lexar, which I've found pretty reliable.

I'm not sure there is an easy answer to this one. One possibility is simply to hang on for the next version of TomTom Navigator, which may well not be far away. It is near certain it will be based on a completely different codebase; TomTom have said that they're moving all their products over to their "common platform" code. Navigator 3 does have some niggling stability issues on some hardware, and the "common platform" code may not share it.

If you're not prepared to throw more money at the hardware, that would be my suggested way ahead; if nothing else, you then have more up to date software, albeit activated once, to sell.

David
mindmagic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My TTN 3.03 hangs on almost every trip. It's on a wired Axim X5, TomTom car kit, with a 128Mb CF card (South East maps only loaded). I've tried it with and without Checkpoint - no difference. I always close all other applications. Sometimes it recovers itself after a hang, sometimes I can close it from Settings, Memory and sometimes it needs a soft reset or even a hard reset with complete loss of data (though I think I may have solved that one).

I recently tested the CF card for fragmentation - none found.

Is TTN 5 any more stable?

I was thinking of replacing it with CoPilot, but after a quick look at their forum, that seems to be even worse......
evostick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomtom freezing is a problem I have had for (it seems) years. I have used a number of SD cards with no difference with a number of versions of Tomtom. I have found that disconnecting the power supply to the pocket PC/GPS receiver usually sorts it out. Not an ideal situation but it is easier than a hard reset when on the move. Sorry if this info has been given before but I don't monior this board frequently.
I currently use a Toshiba PDA with hardwired GPS and Tomtom nav 3.07.
mindmagic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried disconnecting the power on a freeze - and it worked - the thing woke up and found me. Thanks!
greenlandsky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, I've just bought TomTom 5 with the new TomTom Bluetooth GPS receiver, installed it on a brand new Dell Axim X50v, and its locked up 7 times at different points in one afternoon. I've had to remove the battery to reset it. This is on a brand new machine and using TomTom's supplied SD card ... so I guess they still have similar bugs to fix.

I was also very disappointed to find that the Bluetooth package only seems to include the GB map, unlike the TomTom 5 upgrade which is reported to include European maps as well. If I buy the new package I expect to get the same as I would in an upgrade ... does anyone know more about this?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: