Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Wired receiver vs. Compact Flash with external antenna
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Wired receiver vs. Compact Flash with external antenna

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redbeard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:01 am    Post subject: Wired receiver vs. Compact Flash with external antenna Reply with quote

A few days ago I didn't even know these two were options. I was exclusively looking at CF units because I thought that was my only option to use with a Dell Axim PDA. Others tuned me into the idea of the "mouse" type receiver that connects to the PDA either by wires or Bluetooth (which I don't have). But recently I saw an ad for a system that seems to combine the two ideas. The reciever is a Compact Flash unit, but it has an optional external antenna that can be used to get a better signal - especially in a car.

This would seem to be the best of two worlds - use the external antenna in the car, and leave it behind when going around on foot. But I'm leery of anything that seems to good to be true. I haven't been able to find any reviews on this type of setup (but may have just missed them). Any ideas on this?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fear not. This is regular stuff (called active antennas or antenna extenders. Just make sure you get the right one, they come in MCX and MMCX variations.

Keep in mind however that the antenna connectors are not designed for frequent plugging/unplugging (it is HF equipment after all) so this may conflict with your (possible) desire to use the setup outside of the car, too.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
redbeard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Fear not. This is regular stuff (called active antennas or antenna extenders. Just make sure you get the right one, they come in MCX and MMCX variations.
What is the difference?

lbendlin wrote:
Keep in mind however that the antenna connectors are not designed for frequent plugging/unplugging (it is HF equipment after all) so this may conflict with your (possible) desire to use the setup outside of the car, too.
That was the idea. It sounds like I'd be better off getting a regular "mouse" receiver for in the car, and possibly a separate CF unit for outside the car. I'd assume that they could use the same maps.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just different size. MCX has an isolator around the inner tube, MMCX doesn't

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Doghead
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could enable on your older Axim X5 for bluetooth if you really wanted to. I bought an Axim X5 the first month after Dell began selling them. Of course no bluetooth, but with the purchase of a Bluetooth CF card, and the software it come with, you can enable Bluetooth on your Axim X5. As the Axim X5 has two expansion slots, you can use an SD card for the TomTom maps.

www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=LSE039-R2

My Axim X5 ran perfectly with this BT card with a Socket BT GPS receiver, in the car and on foot. Objectively though, this particular BT CF card now seems quite steep in price in today's market (still the same price as I paid), and you might be better off saving the cash towards a better spec PDA with BT as standard.

Just in case there was ever a problem, also had this Leadtek 9532, which had a cable to plug in to the Axim X5's serial port, which trickle charged the Axim X5 on journeys, as well as powering the Leadtek 9532. This combination also worked very well and was the most cost effective.

CF GPS cards will work in car and give you the option of using your Axim X5 outside (without BT). I can't remember exactly why but some information here put me off CF card receivers at the time, and didn't want to have to add another device by way of an antenna extenders (although I'm sure they are easy to use and work fine)

Recently upgraded to the Axim X50v, but theres still a lot I miss about the Axim X5 - longer-lasting battery for one.

Doghead
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How important to you is the facility to use your Axim X5 for satellite navigation outside of the car ? With TomTom Navigator you can only use it outside of the car on roads/streets that TeleAtlas have charted, and its not for roaming fields off-road. You’d need separate mapping software for that.

For use purely in car I’d recommend a standard GPS mouse with the correct cable-set for the basic Axim X5. This should cost in the region of £50 to £60.

If your intent on having your Axim X5 for both in-car and on-foot use, I’d do some work on the math. What will a GPS mouse with the Axim X5 cable set + a CF unit for enabling GPS outside the car come to ?

For the price of a BT CF card to enable your Axim X5 for Bluetooth, and say a Socket BT GPS unit from Expansys, (£62 + p&p) you could have just one overall system for both in-car and on-foot use, at what I would guess is a similar total price to the mouse receiver and CF GPS card.
redbeard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doghead wrote:
How important to you is the facility to use your Axim X5 for satellite navigation outside of the car ?

Probably not that important. I just happened to see the CF unit with the external antenna and thought "that could to both!" But I would imagine that 99% of the time, it would be used strictly in the car.

Doghead wrote:
For use purely in car I’d recommend a standard GPS mouse with the correct cable-set for the basic Axim X5. This should cost in the region of £50 to £60.
This is what I'm leaning towards right now. My wife's knees are such that long hikes in the wilderness are a thing of the past, so getting from home to our destination is our main concern.

And I figure that if I decide later that I want more on-foot ability, I could always get a CF unit from Ebay. They should work with the same maps shouldn't they?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: