Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom Go 300... frozen up
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom Go 300... frozen up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spikebmth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom Go 300... frozen up Reply with quote

HI ya... newbie to this world of the tomtom, so go easy on me!!

I got me a new Go300 today, and did the following..

- downloaded sofeware 5.1 from tomtom.com

- downloaded additional free voices from tomtom.com

- Downloaded safety camera data base

All seemed fine, had a quick play with it, set the POI for cameras with warnings...

just left it on side, now only displays the 2 red hands...

I press the reset underneath, switch it on, get intro sound, and pic of hands... it displays the loading line from SD card... then it locks up on hand screen again...

can anyone help me sort it out...?? Please !!

UPUDATE

I did copy all files from TOMTOM at start, on to PC, luckery when i copyied "great britain map" back, without camera info, it sorted it out ok.

Now the question is, if i download cameras agin, surely it'll just lock up again???
Twompy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Just a thought! Reply with quote

Hi ya,

I'm kinda new to this too. However, after reading a few posts I have come to the following conclusion. The memory card supplied with the TomTom 300 is 128Mb in size. With the local maps (UK in my case) and the standard voices this is pretty much full. When in use the TomTom stores information to the card, such as favourites and recent destinations. If the card is too full, i.e. if you have download POI's and/or new voices this will cause the TomTom to seize up.

The Memory Card that comes with the TomTom 300 is the Master. If this is lost or damaged you will lose your maps e.t.c. You cannot reload the maps and software from the supplied CD.

This is why it is important to copy everything from the SD card to your hard drive or a CD ROM, for a backup. Which is what it sounds like you have done.

My advice would be to go and buy a bigger SD card, for one region such as the UK, 256Mb would be fine. Copy everything from your original and then put it away safe. In doing this there should be plenty of room for voices and speed scamera data. However, if you want to use other maps a bigger card may be advisable. Other people may be able to give more advice on this.
matt748
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Spikebmth,
I'm new to the TTG300, but I hope this may help you.
I still have the original card with my TT, and on it is the following:
GB map and associated files
3 voices (2xEnglish and 1 Aussie)
'Safety' Camera database
Original POIs, plus 10 downloaded POI categories.

According to my SD card properties, I have:
Cap: 119MB
Used: 117MB
Free: 1.86MB

So, so far at least, the original SD card is doing OK.
I don't know if it'll make a difference to this case, but I always use the 'safely remove hardware' icon before taking the cable out, then TT reboots itself automatically after this.

Hope this helps,

Matt
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "free" space is used for temporary files, I believe. If you plan a long route you could find yourself with problems.

Free space will also be eaten up if you save itineraries etc

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: