Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HP IPAQ4150 & TOMTOM Sound Via Stereo Head Unit
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HP IPAQ4150 & TOMTOM Sound Via Stereo Head Unit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
northants_guy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: HP IPAQ4150 & TOMTOM Sound Via Stereo Head Unit Reply with quote

Guy's,

I've got the above kit, which so far is great! The problem I am having is hearing the tiny speaker on the IPAQ when travelling at motorway speeds.

Is there a simple and easy way to get the sound to output via the stereo speakers, I'm sure there must be a way to use the telephone mute function of my headunit - but how do i wire it up?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Rob
Spark1e
Banned

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: HP IPAQ4150 & TOMTOM Sound Via Stereo Head Unit Reply with quote

If you've got a cassette player in your car then you can get a cassette adaptor (some in argos for @ £10) - cassette goes into the head unit & plug other end into the headphone socket on your ipaq. If your memory card is big enough you can even put a load of mp3s on it & they will play at the same time - you can set the volume controls for the media player & tomtom separaltely to get the levels correct & then just use your head unit controls as required.
northants_guy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so lucky, i've got a cd headunit so need to do this through the telephone mute for mobile phones!

thanks anyway.
northants_guy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing a bit of digging and seen a few things - Qubit and carcomm both appear to do a unit which will interface with the stereo but I can't find any suppliers in the UK who will give me a cost.

Carcomms seems the better of the two units as it fits in between existing wirring and stereo so I won't have to splice the loom.

Can someone who has fitted/tested these two systems please give me some info.

Cheers.

Rob

----------------
HP IPAQ4150
TOMTOM Navigator 3
Wired TOMTOM GPS
Seido Amplified Mount (Hardwired, speaker dead)
AlanK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same probs here - looking at the mounts with built in speakers or an FM thingy for the headphone socket.
northants_guy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i'm just going to get a phono to aux lead, as I know usually the main way to go it's only when i get into a town i don't know that I need the turn by turn instructions.
Spark1e
Banned

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found another option for you if you've got a radio in your car - h**p://www.addonsworld.co.uk/product.php/22043/0/ - or just do a search on google for low level FM transmitter car radio - there's plenty of other sites out there.
Lorax
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing with the FM transmitters is that apparently they are illegal in this country (UK). having said that they still seem to be on sale!!

Lorax
Lorax
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what the site above says:

"The Purchaser warrants that it shall comply in all material respects with all applicable Laws, Regulations or Codes of Conduct Practice (whether statutory or otherwise) of the UK and that all licences permissions all concerns required for using of the Product have been obtained and are in full force and effect. Additionally ADD-ONS WORLD Ltd self certify that the Linex FM Transmitter is not CE complaint.

If we have reason to believe that you intend to operate the device in an area where the 1949 Wireless & Telegraphy Act applies, we will not sell you one."

I bet they still sell you one though!

Lorax

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: