Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom navigator5 delayed until june 18, but free upgrade
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom navigator5 delayed until june 18, but free upgrade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raaaaaa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: TomTom navigator5 delayed until june 18, but free upgrade Reply with quote

just got of the phone with tom tom and was told that navigator 5 will be delayed until June 18th, that's the bad news. the good news is that it will be a free upgrade (from tom tom USA) via download software only not the maps. those you will have to pay for.

this is the USA version I am refering to.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Software download is always free. You always only pay for the maps.

However we have different information - TomTom Navigator 5 is supposedly not compatible with older maps, so the free software download will not give you anything - you have to purchase the new v5 maps to actually be able to use TTN5. I personally think this is a very questionable decision by TomTom that this will cost them many, many customers. Let's hope they will change that decision soon.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
raaaaaa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Software download is always free. You always only pay for the maps.

However we have different information - TomTom Navigator 5 is supposedly not compatible with older maps, so the free software download will not give you anything - you have to purchase the new v5 maps to actually be able to use TTN5. I personally think this is a very questionable decision by TomTom that this will cost them many, many customers. Let's hope they will change that decision soon.

software download may always be free but I know that software upgrade is not always free.

tomtom navigator 2004 was first released here in the us in 2003, then there was a new vewrsion tomtom USA a little later. it was not free you had to pay $53.00 for it. it came with new maps but it was also an upgrade, and you could not download it you had to order it on CD. I am pretty sure from here foward that wil change.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but you're wrong there. Of course TomTom wanted to make you believe that you could only upgrade from the CD. But in reality every "Update" from their site was a full blown program, and you did not need the CD to install the program.

In your example TomTom Navigator 2004 (4.40) came on the CD, but you could also download version 4.42 and have exactly the same effect.

The same was true with the "Update" 3.07 - in reality it's afull blown version, and there's absolutely no need to install 3.00 first.

Of course having just the software doesn't help you much if you don't have maps. However back then I was able to use my old v2 maps with both TTN3 and TTN2004. So I could decide to upgrade the maps or not (I didn't because the "new" maps turned out to be exactly the same old v2 maps.)

Sadly with the new TTN5 it seems that you cannot open older maps any more. So downloading the new version from the web site (which you will be able to do) isn't helping at all.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
CTHindi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz,

With TTG software upgrade older Go maps were still useful. You did not get full Postcode search; but you got itenarary planning and configurable routing options.
Would it be different for Tom Tom Navigator? I thought after common code base in Navigator 2004 map format would also be same.

If that is the case shouldn't the old maps ( 8 CD US version) which work with TTN 2004 also work with software only upgrade?

Thanks.
smiffer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom navigator5 delayed until june 18, but free upgrad Reply with quote

raaaaaa wrote:
just got of the phone with tom tom and was told that navigator 5 will be delayed until June 18th, that's the bad news. the good news is that it will be a free upgrade (from tom tom USA) via download software only not the maps. those you will have to pay for.

this is the USA version I am refering to.

strange. this is the copy of an email I received in response to my question of whether the upgrade would include just program or maps too:. i also called customer support and received the same response:

Dear Mr. Smith,

TomTom Navigator is slated to be released in mid-June. All Navigator 2004 customers who have purchased their software after March 15th will be eligible for a free upgrade to Navigator 5 (both application and maps). The navigator 5 application will be available as a free download from TomTom.com, the maps will be sent on an 8 CD set. Once the update becomes available all registered customers will receive an email informing them of the update process. Please keep in touch with our website for more details on the Navigator 5 update.

If you have any further questions please let us know.

Regards,

USA Customer Support
Lorax
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that mean the UK release has also been delayed until the 18th June?!!
mark1968
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom making download to V5 as an option via the internet is begining to make some sence to me. My idea is:

Force existing users to download the new software via the internet without the maps required. Then give us the option to purchase and download maps of our choice via their new Plus service. This way we would get used to this idea and update our maps this way in the furture. Thus increasing their sales in the long run!
raaaaaa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

makes some sense. the HW6500 PPC Phone that was due out this spring has tom tom built in with the GPS. the manual was leaked and the section that referred to the GPS portion of the phone said that you would be allowed one city map for free and you would have to pay for the rest.

it too has been delayed but I was not to concerned because I was hoping that it would get tomtom version 5 because of the delay.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: