Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Always carry a map
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Always carry a map

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Always carry a map Reply with quote

I have just returned from a trip up to lock Ness in Scotland. I thought the trip would be plain sailing with the aid of my TomTom Nav software helping me along my route.

Things were going great until I was just over 20 miles from Edinburgh on the A1. As the road has changed since the map was programmed into the software, it showed me driving up a field next to a railway line. :D After about 5 minutes all that showed was a compass and my speed. Then the whole lot crashed and I could not even switch my ppc off. Of course when I stopped, I could not remember what it said in the manual if to press the reset button on flick the on/off switch. I picked the second option and wiped tomtom off my ppc. Embarassed

After that, it was a case of finding a petrol station and buying one of those massive folded maps of Scotland for a fiver. Luckly we managed to navigate without any problems for the rest of the trip the good old fashioned way.

£5 versus over £300. Keep your old map book handy. You never know when you might need it. Wink
PocketGPS Camera database
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the a1 has been upgraded recently and the new path of the road would not be it the programe how ever the old road would be theres various threads on at the moment on the site about roads missing or not in the right place. ive used tt3 earlier this year in scotland and although i found my way round tt3 is around a year old and due to be updated by v5 but you have to remember that as soon as the map has been released then it will be out of date as th highways agency change road layouts and put duel carrage way in on a six to three monthly bassis if you had switched to map veiw and zoomed out a little thn you would have seen the old road with the route plnned on it satnav is elxelent but you still have to engage you brain somtimes and say right the it says im going through a field oh joy they cange the road

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
gune
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile hi, it just shows that also sometimes machines with most modern technology are liable to crash / unreliable at times...
i was reading once a trakkers site, where it said always carry a compass and a routine map as well .. yes i know for trakkers ..
but i think that is true for drivers as well minus a compass 8)
Synth
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it got confused as there is no such place as Lock Ness; try Loch Ness next time.
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've driven that road you mention. Yes TomTom does get very confused the whole time as it desperately tries to place you on some sort of road. However as soon as I got back onto the roads it knew about it started behaving itself again and all was well.

Strange that you wiped your PPC! Usually a soft reset sorts these things out, and that doesn't wipe anything!
Brock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
if you had switched to map veiw and zoomed out a little thn you would have seen the old road with the route plnned on it satnav is elxelent but you still have to engage you brain somtimes and say right the it says im going through a field oh joy they cange the road

I could see where the old route went and new there had been changes, but navigator locked up before I got off the new stretch of road. I am sure it would have sorted out the route once I got out of the fields. :D

Quote:
Maybe it got confused as there is no such place as Lock Ness; try Loch Ness next time.

Obviously I will have to check my spelling with you guys being so sharp. Rolling Eyes :P

Quote:
Strange that you wiped your PPC! Usually a soft reset sorts these things out, and that doesn't wipe anything!

As I said in the first post, that was my fault as I could not remember what the manual had said. I had a 50/50 chance of getting it wrong and as usual, I did. Laughing Out Loud. :D
PocketGPS Camera database

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: