Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HELP for initial setting up of TT2
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP for initial setting up of TT2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: HELP for initial setting up of TT2 Reply with quote

Running TT2 maps on a Siemens Loox, with Garmin 12. Having trouble getting it to initially fix, ie very first time. The GPS is running fine, and at one point had 10 satellites. The screen says: cannot plot route until GPS reliable. How long does it actually take to do it, have been sat in the car, on the side of the road outside my house for nearly an hour, and it is still approx 50 metres out.

Running the TT2/GPS 2.02, having downloaded the patches from the net. Could this have some effect on it, ie, would I be better taking the patches out?

Any suggestions thankfully received, as I am off to France on Wednesday and would dearly like it to work.

Cheers,

Roger.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: HELP for initial setting up of TT2 Reply with quote

Make sure you are on a public road and not a private one. Sometimes it takes a few 100 yards of driving or getting onto a main road before it recognises. It won't plot a route if it thinks you're off-road which maybe the case here.

The patches shouldn't make much difference in accuracy, but satellite locks will. 10+ should be fine, if you're fluttering around 3-5 then you will see less accuracy here.
Roger
Occasional Visitor

Thanks Dave, for your reply. Our house is on a public through road, even though we are in the country. Have messed around for most of the day today. At some points it is actually on the road, when driving along. But turning corners it appears to be losing its position, ie it thinks I am driving in the fields at the side of the road I'm on. This is with the Garmin 12 sitting on the dash of the car.

We bought it really to run in the motorhome which we use most of the time. In the car, I was getting something like 5-7 satellites. I would have thought that was enough, the motorhome has a GRP body, so that might be better? But I am very unhappy with the seemingly unreliability of the TT2 map. I keep getting messages saying GPS position unreliable, any suggestions?

Cheers,

Roger.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

Roger, as long as you have a sat lock in TTnav as confirmed in the Sat Status app then you should be fine, what you are describing re. the system showing you off road etc is not normal. Can you tell me what driver you have set in the GPS Setup within TTNav for your GPS12?
Roger
Occasional Visitor

Errr Darren I am having a troll through the L00X at the moment trying to find the driver, when setting up I went to the GPS and selected Garmin 12 as the GPS receiver.

Sorry to be a thicko but thats life.

Cheers Roger

Please save my life I am getting a lot of flack for wasting money on some thing that doesn't work
JimC
Occasional Visitor

Using a magellan GPS I get less satellites with the unit on the dash of my Hymer C-class than I do on the dash of the car. So far only done limited tests with TT2 and the ematac sleeve, but I think I am getting a similar effect. I will probably buy a bluetooth GPS and mount it in a vent rather than near the windscreen.

I still have not bought the France/europe maps, so if you decide it will not work and want to recoup some costs I would buy them.

Roger
Occasional Visitor

Hi Jim, I seem to recognise your name from the MH List. I really do suspect that the problem is me, I am a typical engineer and the last thing to crawl through is the manual, so guess what I will be doing. We go to France on Wednesday for 5 weeks so will try out the TT2 maps then, I should be either tearing out my hair and selling them to you or be a happy bunny.

Cheers

Roger
Roger
Occasional Visitor

Going back to the problem, I have spent more time on the GPS. The system is locked on the sat posn that agrees with the readings from the Garmin. The actual posn on the map is about 50 metres out,this means the turns that you are given are not at the correct time hence you go down sideroads instead of the main one.

Having actually gone through the manual there is a setting for CORRECT GPS for this location; to allow for this offset problem.

BUT..... The only option it seems to give me on this page is RESET GPS for this location to make start up quicker if you have moved area .

ANY ideas Friends,Buddies etc....

Roger
agibbs
Occasional Visitor

Have you checked the mapping datum that is being used in your garmin? Having a garmin I use for the great outdoors it is setup with the options that looked appropriate for OS maps while walking (OSGB and ???) - the difference between this and the world model used by the TT maps (WGS?) may be enough to cause the offset? Maybe someone who knows what they are talking about can give better details or pooh pooh this...!
Roger
Occasional Visitor

Andrew

Yes, you are 100% correct, me being a thicko, it took another couple of e-mails to get through my skull, as I didn't find the WGS 84 after reading your suggestion. I therefore thought it wasn't there.

Thank you very, very much indeed, I can now get lost in France more accurately!! Hope I can help you in the future.

Cheers,

Roger

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: