Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Are you happy with your 510?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Are you happy with your 510?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Are you happy with your 510? Reply with quote

Hi there peeps,

are you lot happy with your ICN 510, or would you happily exchange it for a NEW TomTom GO 300/500/700 or similar?

Has it lived up to expectations? Is it reliable?

O.K, its over to you Exclamation
jim_mids
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a ICN510 last week and swapped it for the new tomtom go300 - the navman looked great - but there were so many map errors!

The other problem I found was with the screen , harld able to see it due to the amount of clutter.

Tomtom - fantastic!
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jim_mids wrote:
I bought a ICN510 last week and swapped it for the new tomtom go300 - the navman looked great - but there were so many map errors!

Strange, considering the maps are almost identical.
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All
Had my 510 for 4 weeks, traveled about 7000 UK miles, the initial problems I had are resolved with the help of you guys.
Pleased with it the answer is yes. :D
Small, compact; put it in your pocket, not in the wife’s handbag (if you could get it in) or the glove box of the car. Maps are great bearing in mind that they are 12 to 16 months old, voice ok but a bit quiet (resolved with a £4.99 mobile phone hands free kit).
I have been using GPS units for over a year, this is my first dedicated car unit and has its plus & minuses.
Off to Holland on Monday; hope it performs as good as my PDA unit.
Cost’s as against a car manufacturer unit, its worth every penny.
I have used a TomTom BT unit. Results I have 2 Navman units, so I think it speaks for itself.
I would defiantly give it the thumbs up. Thumbs Up
Regards
DRP

Mio M400 WEU, N60I, T1, 2x B2, iCN 510 & lots more
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had my time again I would be tempted by the new Go as it has full postcode. But the original reasons for purchasing the 510 remain: it's the perfect size, it allows my far more flexibility on routing algorithms than simply quickest or shortest, I can put in avoid areas in advance.

If I could have the full postcode and the Go's 'roadblock' feature in the 510, it would be much nearer to perfect.
djmek
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say "again" Laughing I could'nt be more pleased with the 510, for the price range it's excellent. A few teething problems for a few weeks working out the best settings etc, then ever since it's been perfect. Post codes are simple to work out, as i live in scotland I only have the Scotland map loaded, so if its not main street, or something equally as common, i type in address first, etc, I just do not have any problem at all my with 510. :D :D :D :D :D :D
Preference for Motorways & Freeways...More Often......Maximum Right.
Preference for Urban Roads
jimg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djmek wrote:
I have to say "again" Laughing I could'nt be more pleased with the 510, for the price range it's excellent. A few teething problems for a few weeks working out the best settings etc, then ever since it's been perfect. Post codes are simple to work out, as i live in scotland I only have the Scotland map loaded, so if its not main street, or something equally as common, i type in address first, etc, I just do not have any problem at all my with 510. :D :D :D :D :D :D

I am very happy with the 510, but then I have not had some of the infant mortality problems others have had.
I do agree with most of the criticisms leveled at the 510, but for what I bought it for, it does a great job.
I wanted a self contained gps that I could use in my car and easily take with me when I travel by air. The TT is just too bulky, I can't stick it in my pocket and it doesn't fit conveniently in my briefcase. I just wish you could do more with it than nav only, being a Pocket PC platform you would think they would have put more offline functionality in it. But for nav, I love it.
enuuge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had mine for about six weeks now and am happy - I would concur with jimg that I've got what I wanted for what I have paid. I like the portability, the ease of use, and whilst the maps can be out of date for newer suburbs where I live (there are streets that have been open for over three years but appear as black lines) overall I've got value for money. Its doing the job I intended. I had an issue when I first got the unit and got help from this forum that fixed things for me (as opposed to getting a response from Navman).
Daytona
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm generally happy with mine, especially now I'm getting more used to it and understand how it works better. It's now guided me faultlessly on some important trips, especially when we drove into London and I just left the decisions up to the Navman with no problems.

Only real gripes are-
Difficulty seeing the screen in bright sunlight but going to try a different screen protector. Adjusting the angle of the bracket can help but it can be distracting having to regularly do so...

Poor "night-mode" with very little benefit (screen still to bright at night - TTG looks much better) and no quick shortcut to activate it.

Wish you could run the software on a PC, create a journey wit various stops and detours and then download it to the Navman. Be so much easier.

Got my European maps on a 1Gb card and really looking forward to using it in August when we drive down to the Med and tour around the area we're staying in!
mrg2003
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject: Navman or tt Reply with quote

I have 510 and tomtom, both good in different ways. I like the navman heads up display showing sided roads, also like the tomtom full postcode search. prefer the 510 for walking, but back it up with an etrex vista.
Words
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm delighted with my Navman 510, bought about a week ago. Used it today on a 100 mile trip. Got me there perfectly (I always get lost, which is made worse by it being the mother-in-law's place). One (driver) error on the way back (I didn't prepare to exit left early enough) but was re-routed immediately. Most stress-free journey for many a moon.

One oddity. Was planning a route for later this week. OK, I know the full postcode doesn't work, but the street name also didn't show up (yet it's on the map). Street is College Lane, Chichester. Found it by going to a nearby street name and then tapping and setting the destination from that. Just surprised that a mapped destination isn't available from the menus.
Tungsten C pages
Navman 510 SP1 - I'd be lost without it.
Toni896
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Words wrote:
One oddity. Was planning a route for later this week. OK, I know the full postcode doesn't work, but the street name also didn't show up (yet it's on the map). Street is College Lane, Chichester. Found it by going to a nearby street name and then tapping and setting the destination from that. Just surprised that a mapped destination isn't available from the menus.

I have a simular issue but found the road under another town name( I live on a border) Tameside versa Stockport

Otherwise totally happy with it.
crudeboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine just over 2 months now, it was very hard decision between TTG and Navman510... I think I made the right choice in terms of portability and the 5 digit postcode doesnt bother me anymore as long as I can get to the destination... and after reading many reviews of both machine, I am glad to have purchased the Navman...
crudeboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just like to also add that the one annoying thing that I think they could have done better is....postcode input.

when inputting postcode, you'd have to key the first two letters, then go to numbers mode... and then, there is no space bar, so you'd have to go back to alphabet mode, hit space bar and back to number mode for the first number of the second part!

Quite absurd I think for just a simple task... or is there a faster way???
Burglesuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own both a TTG (6 months old) and an iCN510 (2 weeks). Both have good and bad points.

TTG scores on: voice quality; POI alert is independent of voice guidance (NOT SO on Navman!); touch-screen user interface designed for fat fingers, not stylus; 3D map looks much more like the real road ahead; docking cradle connects both power and external antenna; car installation kit available; full postcode input (but ONLY if you paid for the recent map database update)

Navman scores on: pocketability; flexibility of route-calc settings (TTG latest free software update (May 2005) is improved but not a patch on Navman); flexibility of POI control.

Both use the same SiRFStarII GPS receiver with its own set of problems, such as long lag (position displayed up to 2 or more seconds behind reality); tendancy to assume straight roads and 90 degree corners (was developed in San Francisco); not great sensitivity (needs external GPS antenna in my car with athermic windscreen). And an apparent bug that consistently puts me 100m to one side of the road when driving along a well-known ridge road elevation <300m (A31, Hogs Back).

But I like the pocketability of the Navman best of all.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: