Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sat Fixes TTFF etc. (Suggestion)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sat Fixes TTFF etc. (Suggestion)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djmek
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:50 am    Post subject: Sat Fixes TTFF etc. (Suggestion) Reply with quote

This is just a sugestion, I have read a lot about some guys saying its taking up to 15 minutes or longer to get a fix.
I never switch mine off at the back, and seem to get a fix at longest 45 seconds, sometimes instantly in under 10 seconds.
I did switch it off at the back a few times when i first got it and it did take a good while "sometimes" Max 3-4 minutes.
So why not try leaving it on standby (Top Right Button, I knew you knew that Laughing Out Loud)
Seems to work for me all the time, even when it was blizzard snow fall.
Worth a try!!?
Preference for Motorways & Freeways...More Often......Maximum Right.
Preference for Urban Roads
Scruge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that using the hibernate button makes startup faster, by not having to load maps and etc.

However I never turn my power switch off unless I've taken the unit in to dock with my pc and I have already experienced the slow gps startup at least 2-3 dozen times.
During the times that I've observed the behavior, If I select gps status it will synch within 15 secs. Leading me to believe the software is hanging or captivating system resources. Not allowing the gps to report in.
The causes seem to be related to WHEN the 510 was put into hibernate and WHERE the 510 was turned on.

WHEN, I've noticed if I have an active destination and the 510 is powered off before reaching the destination, the next time I power up it will tend to hang more frequently.

WHERE, If I forget to power up before departing the area the unit was powered down in it will frequently hang. Ex. I make a trip to market but forget to turn the unit on. After shopping I turn on the unit to return home.. sometimes unit will hang.
enanjay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I am new to this forum but have spent a lot of time reading about other peoples problems, some of which I have experienced myself. My theory on this TTFF problem is does it create a problem to the unit if the receiver is not actualy on a road (i.e. in car parks fields etc) and the software is trying to find its location but cannot find a road to start from?
Scruge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enanjay wrote:
Hi

I am new to this forum but have spent a lot of time reading about other peoples problems, some of which I have experienced myself. My theory on this TTFF problem is does it create a problem to the unit if the receiver is not actualy on a road (i.e. in car parks fields etc) and the software is trying to find its location but cannot find a road to start from?

Please keep in mind I'm not a gps expert.
However my basic understanding is as follows and please correct me if I'm wrong. First action of gps is to locate a satellite. To do this quickly it needs to know where its self is with respect to the globe. There is no reason to start with satellite #1 if its located nearer #40-#50. Once the initial fix is made the gps retains the fix in memory so the next time its turned off/on it will start its scan with that group of satellites reducing the acquisition time to under a minute.
Now, the rest is purely a guess based on observation. I think several things can act up on the saved satellite fixes. 1) System errors, lockups and etc. 2) Hardware resets.
Other possible causes of delayed fixes which aren't related to deletion of last known fix. 1) I've observed the second page (where the signal strength for each satellite is shown) of the gps status frozen. Normally as you drive around the bars should move up and down. Why? My guess is that the gps receiver and software aren't talking to each other for any number of reasons. Could be they aren't in sync, gps is locked up or software is busy or hung. I don't really know!
As for your observation of not being near a road, could also be a reason. I have noticed it will not let you set a favorite if it isn't near a road.
So maybe your right, software is tied up looking for a coordinate that lies on a vector between points and is ignoring the gps data. Who knows you might be onto something.. I'll watch mine and report back.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: