Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom Navigator 5 Palm & Pocket PC
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom Navigator 5 Palm & Pocket PC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomtom GPS - BT old Sirf II, New Sirf III - Take th enew one.. They are incredible. Mine (not TomTom) works in the arm rest in a car with no sun roof!
Jigsaw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyjenkins wrote:
Given v5 availability is not certain, would buying the TTNav3 wireless (ie, with bluetooth GPS unit) be a bad move .. especialyl as the TTNav5 GPS Bluetooth receiver is new/updated/better/revised/different ?

I want GPS now (dont we all), not sure I can wait more weeks, I've wait for a month already.

Should I look at just the TTNav3 software, and get a different bluetooth receiver ? Any makes spring to mind ? Obviosuly these need to be better / more reliable than the TTNav5 receiver.

I've not seen reviews of the new TT GPS, I think the guys here only got a review sample this week. What I have seen is reviews of other devices using the same SIRF III chipset and they are very good, suggesting that you'll get better reception in difficult areas and a quicker acquisition time. If you can't wait for the new TT5 setup I'd suggest you look at devices with this chipset. The Globalsat 338 is getting good reviews at the moment.

As I said in an earlier post I'm undecided about buying now or waiting, so I'm not going to offer anybody else in a similar position Laughing

Gordon
Lorax
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waiting for the new receivers seems like a good idea.

I cant seem to find the Globalsat 338 for sale here in the UK. Anyone know of anywhere that sells it?

It looks like waiting a few more weeks (or months!!!) might be the way to go for both gps receiver and nav v.5 software.

It seems that quite a few of us have got the GPS bug just when a big change is happening.

Lorax
mbailey3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea on the price for the "tomtom 5 navigator bluetooth"?

I see Tomtom Navigator 3 Bluetooth is £160 on Amazon. Is V5 expected to be about the same?

Just seen that the Dell Axim X50v is reduced to £271 on the dell web site. :D

I am trying to price up what the total system is going to cost me!
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorax wrote:
I cant seem to find the Globalsat 338 for sale here in the UK. Anyone know of anywhere that sells it?

Try clicking on the Easy Devices ad to the right. They are the UK GlobalSat distributers.
Lorax
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mike.

I've checked then out. They say 'pre order now' which suggests they dont have any Globalsat 338's and they are also £21 more expensive than this place http://www.gpsforless.co.uk/product_details.php?id=1031 who do seem to have the GPS in stock.

Lorax
Lorax
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to drag this on and on but i think the 'buy now or wait' problem is becoming clearer.

I've just checked out a site that is advertising pre-orders on a tomtom nav 5 + ipaq hx4700 bundle (the pda i intend to get). They also sell the bundle with tomtom nav 3.

The v.5 bundle is £30 more expensive and they say they should have them in stock end of May.

So, it makes sense to get v.3 now and then pay the £30 approx (50 euros) upgrade when v.5 eventually comes out. Especially if they are throwing in the Europe maps as part of the upgrade (am I right in thinking that?).

You wont be losing money by buying now & paying the upgrade as v.5 seem to be more expensive. You get the use of the system now and not in 4-6 week, plus you get the extra Europe maps (if I got that right), and you have v.3 to go back to should v.5 be buggy.

Lorax
pt68
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I am really confused. I have USA maps with Navigator for Palm, (purchased a month ago when in USA) I now need European Maps. I presume I won't get European Maps with an upgrade, so should I buy them now or wait for Navigator 5.

Thanks
DataMan
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what about us? in united state with Tomtom Nav 2004 USA and Canada?

we recently paid like 53$ to upgrade from TT2 to TT4 it was a better engine but a lot of the options are taken away in TT4 kindaa anoying... I can not wait to upgrade my TT4...

Do you have any info on US version of it Dave?

Thank you for your usefull website!
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom are currently working on the Version 5 upgrade for the US and Canada. We dont have any details yet regarding release dates.

Obviously the application will be the Version 5 that we have reviewed already. There should also be more recent maps as well.
DataMan
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
TomTom are currently working on the Version 5 upgrade for the US and Canada. We dont have any details yet regarding release dates.

Obviously the application will be the Version 5 that we have reviewed already. There should also be more recent maps as well.

Oh I did search on their website and I asume it should be out this month

they say it will be out May 2005 and it will be free download from tomtom.com hope I got it right.
lydiachris
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the upgrade will cost (pressuming) 79 Euros (About 50 Pounds) just like TomTom Mobile 5.
This is very resonable as you will be getting an SD Card with the new software and most up-to-date maps.

JUST WISH TOMTOM WOULD GET THEIR SKATES ON AND RELEASE THE UPGRADE!!!!!

Mike B, do you know any more about the actual upgrade, and what is it like using TomTom Mobile 5 that you got from CEBit?! Are the maps noticable better and more up-to-date!?

Cheers, Keep up the good work everyone.
LydiaChris

Ps. Who is the pocketgps moderator who owns an XDAIIi!?
I ahve been searching through
http://forum.xda-developers.com/front_page.php
and I have seen and read about third party ROM updates which have higher versions of RADIO Version, CE Version and EXT.ROM Version, I was wondering if either someone can post a link to another thread in this forum or an email address so I can get some advise about what version ROM updates people have on their XDAIIi.
As you can see from my signature, I have o2's Launch ROM Version for my XDAIIi.

CHEERS!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
lydiachris
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to double post, but the website I gave a link to:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/front_page.php

is a very tempermental website, sometimes it works, other times it does't so just be paticent. I have read and learnt a lot from it, so XDA users might be appreciatetive.

Cheers,
Chris
hogbreath
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great review thanks.

Have been using the walk option on tt3 around london, it's great until it does a re-calc, then reverts back to quickest - perhaps the walk option is just meant to be used via the map view only?

I find it really useful to see the number of sats i'm receiving when walking - this appears to have been replaced with bars on tt5, also the day/night colours now have migrated onto two icons - one icon seems a better option.

Pete Confused
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a good review. However, does Navigator 5 have an updated map compared with Navigator 3? That would be handy.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 10 of 25

Jump to: