Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigator 2 in SIRF Mode
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigator 2 in SIRF Mode
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Navigator 2 in SIRF Mode Reply with quote

Rich it's quite strange actually, I don't know what causes this problem but I've seen it nearly on all GPS Receivers. Luckily because I always run a minimum of 2 receivers in-car, I can easily tell if there's a localised problem. I have seen this happen on one of my receivers, or even the receiver going into a full factory fix which is kind of odd. It's not just Leadteks, but it does happen.

Setting GPGGA to 2 shouldn't make it anymore reliable, GPGGA is for differential fixes, eg WAAS and EGNOS which in cities and especially in-car you're not going to see any difference.

NMEA does prefer 4800, if you're running it in SiRF then 9600 upwards, most SiRF receivers prefer 19200 or 57600.

If you think there's a driver issue with TTN2, select NMEA 4800, COM1 and this should resolve any driver specific issues.
RichDem
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Navigator 2 in SIRF Mode Reply with quote

Sure was Dave,

I tried it in Brentford & High Wycombe. The only reason I tried it is that both myself and a colleague have been experiencing some problems with our 9532 receivers. In the morning we have both experienced our signals in TomTom going from say 8 to nothing and then back up again. Last Thursday was the worst I have seen, my whole journey was like this. I cannot quite work out what is going on, some mornings it is fine and generally never happens in the afternoon. I have been talking with Simon at TDC who is very knowledgable and have been experimenting with various settings in the messages tab in WinFast Navigator.

I found the best result by setting the GGA = 2 and everything else to zero, I think this updates the gps location every 2 seconds, still occaisonally I have had a problem. In the manual for the 9532 it recommends running the receiver at a baud rate of 9600, I have tried every available program and cannot get a sat lock in NMEA at any other setting than 4800.

I must admit things do seem a little better with the 2.02 driver and I have definitely seen a much stronger number of sat's locked.

Today I experimented using other drivers, I selected the Emtac Crux driver and I was able to get a lock, I travelled from Brentford to Croydon to Brentford to Reading with no problems, the real test will be in the morning.

I was wondering if there is a driver issue here with the new 9532's.

Anyway I will keep you posted on my findings,

Richard
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Rich, let me guess, you're west of prime meridian ? eg west of Greenwich ? It's a known bug that was in TomTom Navigator 1. I reported it to TomTom back in December, but it's still not fixed

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: