Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Fix problem with navman 510
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Fix problem with navman 510
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ferret79
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Fix problem with navman 510 Reply with quote

Does anyone have tis problem with there navman 510, sometimes when in a wide open space for example in a car park in a field with clear skies and hardly any cloud .....it will sometimes take up to about 15 minuets to get a satelite fix which aint very good (you could have driven home in that time if you new the way) other times it will lock on in less that 2 minuets...and sometimes even without its own antenna up ....are these units sometimes a bit "lazy" or would a external antenna help...i never once had this problem when i owen a garmin ....thanks for any replies..
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: FIX problem with Navman 510 Reply with quote

15 minutes is far too long! The most I have had to wait is about 45 seconds. When you say you are in an open place does that mean standing or in the car? Remember some windscreens are reflective so you cannot get a fix through them.

In my experience, and others on the forum, this is a great unit and when you really get to grips with it, it performs as it should.

Even two minutes wait would make me think there is some problem.
ferret79
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: re-fix Reply with quote

tnx for reply ... this is when i am in the car and no it hasn't got a reflective screen// its a rover 75... this is my second one (navman) the first was faulty and halfords replaced it with another new one.
ferret79
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: re-fix Reply with quote

tnx for reply ... this is when i am in the car and no it hasn't got a reflective screen// its a rover 75... this is my second one (navman) the first was faulty and halfords replaced it with another new one.
ferret79
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: re-fix Reply with quote

ferret79
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: re-fix Reply with quote

sorry about the same replies my pc threw a fit Rolling Eyes
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: re-fix Reply with quote

ferret79 wrote:

Suggest you make another trip back to Halfords and ask them to check it out. If you are doing everything you should, then it should get a fix much faster than you report. :o
jimg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: re-fix Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:
ferret79 wrote:

Suggest you make another trip back to Halfords and ask them to check it out. If you are doing everything you should, then it should get a fix much faster than you report. :o

The only time it should take a long time to get a fix is if you turn it on far away from where you turned it off, I mean like hundreds of miles. 15 minutes still seems like an awful long time if it is unobstructed. Mine will re-acquire a fix in the same location in about 30 seconds and the antenna is under the hood of my dashboard, i.e., I have it installed in front of my tach.
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a reflective windscreen (Seat Leon) but I also have that problem from time to time. Once a month at the most it will simply take ages to get a fix, otherwise it happens in under 30 secs. Methinks there is a tendency to be a bit lazy once in a while but I'm interested in hearing if there are those who have NEVER had this problem when using the standard power on/off on the front.
djmek
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon1 wrote:
I don't have a reflective windscreen (Seat Leon) but I also have that problem from time to time. Once a month at the most it will simply take ages to get a fix, otherwise it happens in under 30 secs. Methinks there is a tendency to be a bit lazy once in a while but I'm interested in hearing if there are those who have NEVER had this problem when using the standard power on/off on the front.

That would be me Laughing I have never had anything longer than the one time of about 3 mins after i had done a reset.
Otherwise, as you say, 30 to 45 seconds max.

In this thread one of you mentioned you had an external arial, does everybody that has one find them better or same or other?
Preference for Motorways & Freeways...More Often......Maximum Right.
Preference for Urban Roads
dpdurst
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon1 wrote:

Nope never had the problem with the on/off on the front of the unit, using the cold power option on the back powering up, it has taken up to 2 mins. This before I put the SP in, with the SP it speeded things up very much.
MiddleMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have had the exact same problem with getting a satelite fix and have mentioned this in an earlier posting. I have driven from Basingstoke to the M1 before (about 1 hour) with no fix and only when I got stopped in traffic did it eventually pick up a signal.

Other times it will get a fix in a couple of minutes or even 30 seconds as someone mentioned. My windscreen is a relective one, but have no trouble with satelite one it gets a fix.

Do I have a faulty model.

And whilst i mention it, another problem I have been having is with the mobile cameras POI's. Even though I load the temps and mobiles with audible warning, once loaded they do not give a warning, only visual onscreen and the Navman also does not show these as having audible warnings in its menu, even though I ticked the box when downloading. Gatso's are fine. Any ideas anyone?
DreX
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A navman or anything else for that matter that uses Gps
Requires 4 satellites for a full gps fix...

This Should take anything between 40-60 seconds

Settings----More Settings----
Gps Status---Next Page
Screen should show you how many sats the unit is picking up
Pressing next page gives you world map along with Sat Numbers and position

Stand outside vehicle, get gps fix, then enter vehicle
Close windows and doors and see if Gps Signal or SATS dropout

If they do something in your vehicle is MAsking sat signal
Have come across this with rover 75
and putting Unit bottom corner of windscreen cured problem
(Most cars have small Arrow or line on windscreen, putting gps unit Below or above this line usually helps)
A Seperate gps antenna will greatly improve the Gps Reception
MiddleMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

according to the navman site, initial fix from cold is up to 15 mins and then anthing up to 2 minutes on subsequent switch ons.
enuuge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've experienced similar situations with a long time to get a fix, and this has happened when I start the unit in a location different to where I swithced it off. I've never let it go on longer than two or three minutes before resetting. Once reset, I usually get a fix within a minute.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: