Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Safety Camera database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Safety Camera database

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kissinuk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: TomTom Safety Camera database Reply with quote

I notice TT are releasing their own safety camera database with TomTom Plus. I'm presuming this is completely seperate to the one maintained by this site as it says it is "checked and verified by TomTom field surveyors". I'm just wondering what is the point of this? There are lots of loyal users of the Pocket GPS database, so why would we want to pay for using the TT one??? Also, I doubt TomTom will be as effieicent in maintaining the database, I'd be very surprised if new versions were released monthly.

Full info can be found here
http://www.tomtom.com/plus/service.php?ID=8&TID=4&Language=1
Googlebot
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure the main reason is that this sites one has provved so popular it gives them a obviously popular feature that will make someone purchase TomTom over a competitor.

I do however, like you, wonder how accurate it will be. I'll be staying with my Roadangel for sure...
Holux CR-100

Soon to be replaced with TT720 (maybe....)
Howarduk
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we have the option of not upgrading to TT5 sticking to TT3 and to carry on using the excellent database provided by GPS world.

As its a subscription service one would expect 100% accuracy. Then again only time will tell as to whether it is accurate or not.

Personally, I'm not sure what to do, TT5 will not accept add ons like the speed camera database and I have got used to having the camra database on my PDA, then again, I would also like the new maps. Ah well decisions, decisions Confused

Howard
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it should accept our database as cutom pois and look at it the reveiw it will have its own built poi warning

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
kissinuk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, as far as I'm aware POI's work exactly the same in TT5 so we will have the choice of 2 safety camera databases (assuming you subscribe to TT Plus).
Howarduk
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the best of my knowledge TT5 won't accept CheckPoint or any other add ons at the moment and without CheckPoint the speed camera database won't work. Or have I got that wrong?

Howard
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howarduk wrote:
To the best of my knowledge TT5 won't accept CheckPoint or any other add ons at the moment and without CheckPoint the speed camera database won't work. Or have I got that wrong?

Howard

Yes. In TT5 custom POI's can be added in the same way as they are in TT3. You are right Checkpoint won't work, but TT5 has it's own built in POI warning system so the speed camera database should work just fine and without any extra software.

What would be good is a utility to allow the two databases to be merged. I for one hope that this release doesn't diminish the pocketgps database quality, as you say, I doubt TomTom will be updating it on a monthly basis.
terryd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Speed Warning Reply with quote

Whilst, according to review, TT5 will warn of speed cameras from the customised Pocket GPS database a major issue for me is that the TT5 warning system will not have the speed warning facility that Checkpoint has. I have my "system" with TT3 set to warn me if I am over 30mph when approaching a camera. Currently I am minded to stay with TT3 until a 3rd party add-on is developed similar to CheckPoint. Any thoughts/ideas welcomed.

IPhone SE, TomTom GO, Memory Map (UK & France), Linesman
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the format of TT Speed camera DB it maybe possible to convert the file into another format (Access or Excel) and compare with this sites entries and update accordingly. This will only work if they use the standard POI format. If not it maybe possible to use the TT V5 SDK to extract the entries.

Yes... come on, I'm waiting, its piracy, not fair or legal.....
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PLUS Service Safety Camera database is encrypted and can only be used on the device to which it was originally downloaded. This will be true for many of the PLUS Services including additional voices etc.

It is also a chargeable service. Early indications are the whole UK database will come at a price that I personally think will make it unattractive to the majority of users. Frequency of updates etc is something that we do not have details of as yet.
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren, from your reply it indicates that you are currently using this services, if so when will you be publishing a review?

Cheers
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're not available as yet. When they are we'll be covering a selection of what is available Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: