Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 1GB SD card and MDPNA100 (MD95025)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

1GB SD card and MDPNA100 (MD95025)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pontyslapper
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: 1GB SD card and MDPNA100 (MD95025) Reply with quote

It works - well it reads - haven't tried to navigate yet, but will be later this evening.

Background...

Purchased a Bytestor 1GB High Speed SD Card from Amazon UK for £52.99.

Have put the following things on the card so far...

1. UK/Ireland
2. BeNeLux
3. France
4. Italy
5. Spain/Portugal
6. Germany
7. Austria/Switzerland
9. Medion Navigator 4.4 CAB
10. GPSDash CAB
11. My Converted POIS for POIWarner
12. Licence numbers for POIWarner and GPSDash in a Pocket Word file
13. Some Excel files for work

The more knowledgable will notice that the Scandinavian countries are missing. This is explained below...

Huge tip - create a directory and build up your content before squirting it to the card. That way you get to check what will fit and make the necessary amendments.

I've left out the Scandinavian countries as they weigh in at 200MB, not a lot when you consider France is around 250MB. My reasons for leaving them out are simple - I do lots of mileage throughout most of Europe except Scandinavia (so far!) so it was an easy sacrifice.

The full country map sizes (Navigator 4.4) are shown below...

Austria/Switzerland - 177MB
BeNeLux - 69MB
France - 210MB
Germany - 220MB
Spain/Portugal - 68.5MB
UK/Ireland - 114MB
Scandinavia - 200MB
Navigator CAB - 6.1MB

Total for all files - 1064.6MB

As you can see you can trim quite flexibly if you know you don't need a particular area.

As there is no Map Export 4 with Navigator 4.4 you will need to swap maps which involves a restart of Navigator at each border stop/crossing.
Pontyslapper
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navigating with the 1GB High speed card is a dream - it seems faster to load up initially.

Reinstalling everything from the card is easy - the only thing that causes a problem is POI Warner - no CAB for that. Unless someone knows otherwise!
bigbob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for info re 1GB card Pontyslapper have 512 now you got me thinking about the 1GB.

cheers Bob
Stephenburbidge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject: Is the MDPNA100 same as MDPNA150? Reply with quote

I have the 150 which operates on windows CE what does the 100 operate on - I have been told that I can't get european maps for the 150!
Cheers
Pontyslapper
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

100 operates on Windows Mobile 2003.

Same OS as the new style smartphones that are coming out like the Orange SPV C500.

There are subtle differences between what is on the smartphone and on the PDA - not so the casual user would notice, but they are there.

Hope this helps. I know sod all about the 150 sorry.
murphyjim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1gig card in Aldi from tomorrow £50 ! I'm gonna try it.
tel33
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I saw the 1gb card at Aldi too but by the time I got there they were all gone..Typical!!!
plusman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pontyslapper:

How do you set up the maps so that they will enable you to navigate from one country to another. I'm planning a journey from the UK to Spain via France, but when I try and navigate from my current location, it says that it is outside the map boundaries (when I have the french map selected), adn so for example, I can only navigate from London to Dover, Calais to the Spanish border and then from the Spanish/french border to my destination in Spain.

How do you set it up to navigate across countries?

thx
Pontyslapper
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cannot to my knowledge or experience do door to door navigation through different maps on 4.4 (may be possible on earlier versions, don't know?)

The only way to pull off navigating from the UK, through France and into Spain or Germany etc, would be to have the maps you need stored on a 1GB SD Card and then at each border crossing, reselect the maps. Bearing in mind that reselecting the maps needs a restart of the software, this isn't a massive inconvenience in my view, as you can swap the maps as you wait to board/unboard the boat/train/other transport.

At the end of the day, it could be viewed as inconvenient as we know there is kit out there that you can do it with, however, bear in mind you do have decent maps of most of Western Europe.

You pays your money and takes your chance... so to speak when you purchase anything like this - it might hit the spot or be ok with a little bit of tolerance or be the biggest pile of pants ever.

My view - hits the spot - I can put up with having to reselect the maps at borders.
Myron
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pontyslapper, seriously... Using the 1Gb high-speed SD card actually speeds up the operation mapping and computing speed of the MDPNA100?
Pontyslapper
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does on mine - only by seconds.

I would suppose it also depends on factors such as what you have running, is it a 'fresh' switch on, and what speed card you have - there are many different flavours and speeds.
Myron
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Good point... Reply with quote

That's a good point. Keeping the licence codes on the PNA100's SD card. Another good point is to keep the original MMC card that comes with the navagotor and UK maps in the car. Just in case you're in the middle of nowhere and the 1Gb SD card decides to become clean.
paulp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lo guys,

I need to get a 1gb SD card for my Medion PNA100

What would better, the x66 high speed card or the standard card with better power comsumption (adlegedly) ???

The cost difference between the two on ebuyer is negligible.

Thanks in advance

Paul

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: