Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - V.5 Multiple instructions - potential dangerous
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

V.5 Multiple instructions - potential dangerous
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
calypso
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: V.5 Multiple instructions - potential dangerous Reply with quote

With V.5, The TTG seems to be very keen on giving you multiple instructions even if the secondary instruction refers to a turn which is a long way away.

For example Jane will say "Turn right then turn left", even if the second (left) turn is two blocks (and two sets of traffic lights) ahead!

To me "Turn right then turn left" should only apply when the second (left) turn immediately follows the first (right) turn.

This usually means you have to refer to the screen at busy junctions to determine where you should turn. This was not the case with the previous version

Definitely a safety issue here.
washbrook
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi..

I have to agree with this one, I have found this too with v5.

Cheers
Dave
Cee_Jay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh I noticed that gotcha today as well. Nearly caught me out as I'd just had a right turn followed by an immediate left turn when it said '...then turn left'. However, I spotted, at the last moment, that the immediate left turn was 'No Entry' and that the left turn I actually needed was a couple of hundred yards further on. Definitely didn't have the time to check the screen to confirm the instruction.

Chris
calypso
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have contacted TomTom and will let you know what their response is.
Jammy1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with this. There also seems to be an increase "at the end of the road" use. I.e. where I live I turn right then left after about 25 yards. Version 442 use to say "turn right then turn left". Now I get "at the end of the road turn right then at the end of the road turn left". This is follwed by "turn right and turn left" when I am about to turn, it can get confusing. It seems to much information for poor Jane to keep up with sometimes. The extra warning of motorway exits is welcome though.
Ugly-Kid-Joe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think this could be due to not having the updated maps that V 5.00 was written for. Its only a thought. Rolling Eyes
calypso
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is TomTom's response:

"Thanks for your feedback.

The secondary instruction is not a new feature with 5,00.
The instruction is given to make it easier for the driver to be able to change the car position before the next turn.

If you standing in the left line and need to turn right you actually have the chance to be in correct position before you need to turn right.

We hope to have answered your question to your satisfaction.
With best regards,"

I'm sorry TomTom, but it IS different in V.5.

If it was a question of positioning, then the instruction should be "then, keep right" and not "then, turn right".

Either that, or a simple "right turn ahead" would be more appropriate.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugly-Kid-Joe wrote:
Do you think this could be due to not having the updated maps that V 5.00 was written for. Its only a thought. Rolling Eyes

I think that it has a lot to do with it.

Also there seemed a general consensus that there was not enough warning for slip roads, mainly on dual carriageways. If there has been a general increase in the warning time, this would lead to warnings becoming joined together. I've noticed this several times.

A lot of the dual carriageway warnings seemed to have been increased by 50%. Perhaps they have overdone it!!

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
HOG
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is worrying me as I specifically bought TTG to navigate across Europe down to Bavaria.

It will be very hard to navigate in a foriegn country if the instructions are as confusing as you say.

Perhaps I should revert back to 4.42?

There is a mention on this post about the map versions. How do I check my map versions and how do I update them to the V5 copies?

Thnx
bmwman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been on a few trips over the weekend with v5 and I'd agree that the new update seems to act differently to the earlier version.

Previously, the "Turn left then turn right" type of instruction seemed to only occur on instances such as offset crossroads.

However, it now appears to provide the second instruction much more frequently. I can't give a categorical cut-off figure, but yesterday I was getting the second instrction at up to 375 yards between junctions.

I'd agree with the earlier postings that this can be somewhat misleading.

Getting a "turn right then turn left" is fine if there is up to (say) one hundred yards between the two junctions, but at appraoching 400 yards between junctions it is somewhat superflous.

Perhaps it's something I'll grow to get used to over time....... Confused

Regards,
Rich
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOG wrote:

There is a mention on this post about the map versions. How do I check my map versions and how do I update them to the V5 copies?

Thnx

In Change Preferences you will find a Show Version icon. It will tell you what you have. Presumably the V5 maps will come on a CD and will copy to SD card.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
bmwman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This issue is perhaps even more irksome/dangerous than I'd thought.

I've finally got my cradle mounting sorted on the motorbike with a sound feed into the helmet speakers so I road tested it this morning on the way to work.

Coming up to a roundabout on the outskirts of Warwick I got "Turn left at the roundabout, first exit, then turn right".

Having taken the turn I looked at the machine to assess the distance and it was 0.35 miles to the right turn ie more than 600 yards. To my mind that's downright daft, and potentially dangerous.

Regards,
Rich
calypso
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree entirely.

Instead of "Turn left at the roundabout, first exit, then turn right", it should say something like "Turn left at the roundabout, first exit, then right turn ahead" if the right turn is not very close.
Wonderwall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think about it, Its quiet a good idea you just need to get used to it, allows you more time to get into the correct lane...give it more time...."Im a driving Instuctor".....
Patrick_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
Ugly-Kid-Joe wrote:

I think that it has a lot to do with it.

Also there seemed a general consensus that there was not enough warning for slip roads, mainly on dual carriageways. If there has been a general increase in the warning time, this would lead to warnings becoming joined together. I've noticed this several times.

A lot of the dual carriageway warnings seemed to have been increased by 50%. Perhaps they have overdone it!!

Having read this thread I've tried v5 for the first time today.
On dual carriage-ways it is warning me 'exit ahead' over a MILE before the exit. In fact from where I was, TTG was actually referring to what was the 2nd exit.
If some people really DID request more advanced warnings there seems to be just as many who prefered them the way they were.
Perhaps v5.1 will have this as an option, perhaps fixed distance or speed related.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: