Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Batch Post Code Conversion
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Batch Post Code Conversion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheGas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Batch Post Code Conversion Reply with quote

I have 500+ post codes to convert into Longitude and Latitude in an Excel document.

I have a program to convert them one by one, but is anyone aware of how these can be done as a batch?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what program would that be?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
TheGas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?GridConvert?name=CV32%204AT&type=Postcode
MrPloppy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That site looks interesting.

The way I might do it is to write a program that will take your postcodes one by one, and put them into the query format you see in your link - you've put in CV32 4AT into the link, it would just be a question on putting your postcodes into the link in the same way. Once this is done, you'd have to read the html that came back, and read the specific bits in the table.

Sounds like an interesting program to write - I would write it myself, but very little time. I might give it a go later though - I'll report back if I get anywhere.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. You could even write a little proggie that would simply iterate through all possible postcodes and give you the lat/lon back.

Now it's a question how accurate their database is...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although it is an interesting topic I would like to point out a few things.

1) The website uses a licensed version of the Ordnance Survey's Code-Point software to generate the co-ordinates.

2) I assume that the T&Cs of the site allow you to use the converted data for your own personal use.

3) It would be illegal to distribute the converted data to anyone else.

4) Ordnance Survey are currently reviewing sites like ours and are monitoring this type of "infringement" or their intellectual property.

Obviously this does not prevent theoretical discussions, but please consider the position of this site when doing so.
TheGas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB

I am confused. You say that converting Post Codes to Lat/Long may be illegal if you distribute the results in a POI format. In that case, everyone who has produced POI's must be guilty as there is no other way of converting them to work on TomTom.

When the new maps are out with FULL postcode interigation, is this also illegal?
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Batch Post Code Conversion Reply with quote

TheGas wrote:
I have 500+ post codes to convert into Longitude and Latitude in an Excel document. I have a program to convert them one by one, but is anyone aware of how these can be done as a batch?

What area of the UK are you doing, I have some converted to both .ov2 & .asc format.

I converted several files to poi format, but as I use POI-Warner it was no good, most of the smaller files I did still contained over 10,000 entries and POI-Warner when asked to list nearby poi's lists them in distance from your current position so took 10 minutes to fine a code! Should have tired one first before spending 10+ hours converting several files.

Excel is useless at this, can only handle 9,999 lines, but Corel Quattro Pro can handle 999,999 lines, but it did bulk a few times when I converted a file with over 400,000 lines, and Quttro Pro can use Excel format if needed, but then reverts to the 9,999 lines to comply with Excel.
MrPloppy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok chaps, I've written it, and the program can be found here:

http://www.smaart.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/PostcodeLocator.exe

Its only 52K, and when you download it, you have to load in your postcode file. This can be as big as you like, but I've only tested it with 4 postcodes (!). The postcode file should just be a text file with each postcode on separate lines.

Once loaded, you click on Go, and the program will connect to the internet and get the lat and long location for each postcode, and put them into a text box. I'm not sure how long this might take, but there is a progress bar which shows how long its taking. When its finished, you should save the information as a CSV file (it will do this for you) and you can then open this up in Excel and play around to your hearts content!!

To note MikeB's comment, I'm unsure as to what limitations I can put on this, because it's merely using technology that's already out there and using it in a way that is meant. Someone could type in 500 postcodes, and get the results, but then again my program will do it a lot quicker..

If you have a play, I'd love any comments, especially how fast it was compared with how many postcodes you've put in. It should be quite robust, but obviously I've not tested it to death.

Please use this for your own personal use.

Thanks.

Paul.
TheGas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrPloppy

Thanks, but when you click on the link, a new box appears for a second then dissappears.
MrPloppy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its downloaded! If you're using Firefox, you have to open up your Downloads bit. It is there somewhere!
TheGas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I use IE
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGas wrote:
MikeB

I am confused. You say that converting Post Codes to Lat/Long may be illegal if you distribute the results in a POI format. In that case, everyone who has produced POI's must be guilty as there is no other way of converting them to work on TomTom.

When the new maps are out with FULL postcode interigation, is this also illegal?
What I am saying is that the use of Ordnance Survey data without paying a licence fee breaks copyright according to the legal department at OS. What you are discussing is the mass distribution of code-point derived data. POIs can be produced in a number of ways, which dont mean converting from PostCodes to Lat/Lon.

TomTom and others I assume have paid the license fee to be able to use this information.

In view of current discussions with Ordnance Survey we have had to provide them with an undertaking.
Undertaking to the Ordnance Survey wrote:

1. removed from the Websites (as defined in your letter to us dated 15 March 2005) and destroyed all hard copies and electronic files containing the Code-Point data;
2. ceased all acts of offering for download electronic files containing Code-Point. For the avoidance of doubt, this includes offering CodeSearch for use by the public on any of the Websites;
3. ceased and, to the best of its knowledge, shall not in the future whether directly, indirectly or howsoever infringe copyright in Ordnance Survey works protected by Crown copyright including Code-Point;
4. ceased and, to the best of its knowledge, shall not in the future whether directly, indirectly or howsoever infringe database right in Ordnance Survey works including Code-Point; and
5. ceased and, to the best of its knowledge, shall not in the future whether directly, indirectly or howsoever store in a digital form in an electronic memory the Code-Point data.

Keeping to this undertaking can mean the difference between this site being in operation, or being sued and closed down by the OS.
MrPloppy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've put a website up for those who want to download this Postcode Locator. It should just work like downloading any other file now. Go here:

http://www.smaart.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/postcode

However, in light of MikeB's comments, I'm not sure if I'll be keeping it there for long. I don't know that the program infringes any copyright law as the information is freely available on the website.

If you'd like me to put limitations on the program, Mike, then fair enough - I certainly don't want to put any undue pressure on yourselves.

Paul.
Nomada
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MrPloppy

That there is a technology that can be used doesn't justify to use it for that purposes like you cannot use it to break an alarm system, hack another people's computer, etc.

To do that program you used some reverse engineering to gather a data supposed to be in a screen into a file. And that is not allowed at all.

Royal Mail and affiliates sites allow a registered user to gather information in these web sites just a few times every day (11 or 12 in RM).

Partnership contracts with OS for web sites providing Code-Point information clearly specify that data cannot be listed or printed straight from the source and just given as individual points.

Your program is clearly circumventing it.

Just be aware of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: