Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is this Garmin the one to replace my Tom Tom??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this Garmin the one to replace my Tom Tom??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zzr1200
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Is this Garmin the one to replace my Tom Tom?? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a new PND as I cant get HD traffic on my TT720 and I can't plot a route with multiple weighpoints on my TT iPhone app (I use Tyre to create routes).

I'm therefore looking for a EU mapped PND that can:

accept the pocketGPS speed camera database?
Have good traffic - HD from TomTom is superb - is the Digital Traffic from Garmin as good?
allow me to import routes with multiple weighpoints from a program such as Tyre?
Have a good routing algorithm - whenever I've had a Garmin in the past, the TT routes I felt were better

Will the Nuvi 2458LMT-D do all this?
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_944591_langId_-1_categoryId_165685?cm_mmc=GooglePPC-_-SN+-+Sat+Nav+-+Garmin+Traffic-_-Garmin+Nuvi+2548+LMT-D-_-nuvi+2548+lmt-d&_$ja=cgid:7866345349|tsid:35582|cid:158351749|lid:57727945429|nw:g|crid:36670160269|rnd:661180944885623590|dvc:c|adp:1t2&gclid=CJ2mrP2GnL4CFevItAodZ14Abw#[object Object]

Thanks in advance
zzr1200
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now looking at the 2598 LMT-D instead. Comments most welcome. (And encouraged!!!)
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a comment from another thread

xtraseller wrote:

Other than that, with the new update, latest maps, fastest routes selected, I get almost identical routes most of the time to my TomTom Go 6000 - which is a first since the TomTom has ALWAYS been better at route choice

I have the 2508 LMT-D and find the digital traffic superb. Any of the 25x8 series will do what you want.
zzr1200
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your response.

I was beginning to wonder if the forums had become very quiet since I used to frequent.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Here's a comment from another thread

xtraseller wrote:

Other than that, with the new update, latest maps, fastest routes selected, I get almost identical routes most of the time to my TomTom Go 6000 - which is a first since the TomTom has ALWAYS been better at route choice

I have the 2508 LMT-D and find the digital traffic superb. Any of the 25x8 series will do what you want.

I'm using the 3598D (I also have a 2517 which has TMC Traffic which isn't great, and a TomTom Go 6000, amongst others) - I believe the routing engine is different on the 3xxx series than the 2xxx series - although this MAY BE marketing from Garmin (I don't have access to my 2517 as its out on loan at the moment to compare)

While I am normally a TomTom fan, the latest updates and maps of the Garmin, have almost swayed me - I like the speed of the Garmin UI compared to TomToms

Visually the TomTom is better, as is the two stage instruction when turns are in close proximity
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: