Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New sat nav won't allow manual input of mobile trap sites
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New sat nav won't allow manual input of mobile trap sites

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tafia14
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: New sat nav won't allow manual input of mobile trap sites Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I have just bought a new sat nav with overspeed warnings. Problem is that newly-lowered limits may not appear on the database for 12 months.

My old unit allowed me to mark new mobile trap sites and also to input the speed limit but the new one doesn't. I asked tech support why this useful feature had been removed and they said it was illegal in mainland Europe so they had removed it here too. Hmm.

Local limits were lowered from national 60 mph to 30 mph about a year ago. Guess where the trappers are operating? There have been no accidents at all in the trap area that I am aware of.

It's disappointing that the option to mark new mobile sites has been removed as it can take some time before the site hits the database. I haven't passed the most popular recent trap site in my area yet with the new GPS so don't know if it's on the database though they have been trapping there for about a year and have caught over 100 locals exceeding the new limit. They caught 79 in the first few months when the limit dropped from 60 to 30. I am on the local council and asked police for the figures.

I also wonder if a 200 yard warning of a trap site is enough in a 30 limit. The one at in my locality sets up at the bottom of a long downward hill and is catching folk as they round a gentle curve about 400 yards away at the top of the hill.

Anyone confirm the EU ruling?

I am now wondering if I should download Pocket GPS world to my phone but don't know if a Nokia Asha 300 is supported. Perhaps a newer phone would be of use.

Anyone know?

Thanks

T
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which sat nav? Which country are you in? There is no EU wide ruling but France has banned the use of any device that gives warning of speed cameras. I believe some other countries have done the same.
Tafia14
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Which sat nav? Which country are you in? There is no EU wide ruling but France has banned the use of any device that gives warning of speed cameras. I believe some other countries have done the same.

Hi,

I am in UK and the sat nav is the Snooper Syrius. I have an older Snooper Indago which does let me put new mobile sites in manually but it doesn't have an over-speed-limit warning.

Cheers

T

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: